• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mouses in Your Houses

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
We had a big-ass flying beetle in here last night, and I realized what our low ceilings at home are good for-- quick catching of flying beetles and moths and so forth. This one kept retreating up into the rafters before divebombing me, and Noah would take a swat at it before it went back up. I eventually went and took a bath while he finished it off.

(Yes, I am afraid of flying insects and I get my man to kill them for me. Don't make me give back my NOW card.)

nottaprettygal

MBTI Type
INTj
here's a tangent issue.

Why do mice scare you?

They don't particular scare me, I think they are cute.
Although they do move quickly and change direction just like those gross thousand-leggers that show up at night all the time.
Those make me jump, especially the big ones.

I'm not sure. I was wondering that myself because as I was searching through websites on mice, I thought some of the pictures of them were sort of cute.

Maybe it's the fact that there is a dirty little creature in my home that I never invited inside. You know, besides my husband. Also, it could be the unexpectedness of seeing one, especially if it is in motion.

nottaprettygal

MBTI Type
INTj
(Yes, I am afraid of flying insects and I get my man to kill them for me. Don't make me give back my NOW card.)

Oh suriously, girl. I'm with you. I am afraid of every single bug/little critter . . . especially crickets.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
It's the uninvitedness that bugs me. Outside, I think ants are cool and I marvel at their colonial style and think deep thoughts about the nature of collectivism and the needs of the many compared to the rights (or lack thereof) of the few. Inside, they need to die. So I kill them. I'm all out of the arsenic my grandmother gave me (she bought it in the early 80s before so many wives used it to murder their husbands) and back to the yearly struggle with inadequate poisons legally available to me now.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
+1 for the chunky peanut-buttered trap. I killed about 16 mice in 48 hours with that stuff. Fortunately we have some aggressive ants in my part of the world to dispose of the corpses. Very elegant and clean skeletons afterwards.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Oh suriously, girl. I'm with you. I am afraid of every single bug/little critter . . . especially crickets.

Oh, fuck crickets. You never know when they're going to jump! And those camel crickets are the worst. *shudder*

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
That reminds me of the other night when Starla found a big camel cricket in her bathroom. She let out a healthy shriek before she figured out it was just a cricket and not a spider. She still made me put it outside, though.

Fuckers can jump!

I've always been a little wary of crickets ever since one bit the living crap out of me while I was fishing.

Martoon

perdu fleur par bologne
MBTI Type
INTP
Thankfully, it got caught between the pages of a book and Haight beat it to death with a broom.
Eww. Well, your guy does things I couldn't do.
Even after carrying my large male in from another room and showing him the mouse, he turned around and went back to his food.
Oh? So Haight won't beat it to death with a broom until it's caught in a book? Or just not when he's busy eating?

You can buy an ultrasonic device which should send them on their merry way.
Do those actually work? I've always wondered about those.

It's true, though. Bats are just ugly mice with cheap halloween rubber wings.
Bats are adorable! Okay, so I have a thing for rodents. Oh, okay, so it's critters in general.

NEVER using heat in the winter has done it for me. As long as your neighbors' apartments are warm, the mouse will always prefer it. As for keeping you warm, invest in a down comforter and cashmere sweater.
Aw, that's sweet! Then the mousies can cozy up with you in the comforter and sweater!
...I hope this doesn't sound as absurd as I think it does.
Why, no! Not at all.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
Hmm, this thread also reminds me of the other night, when I was rudely awakened by a big spider crawling over my face.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Maybe it's the fact that there is a dirty little creature in my home that I never invited inside. You know, besides my husband.
thspitcoffee.gif

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
That's always my defense when someone questions my fear of crickets. They are so erratic! How can someone NOT be frightened?

That's precisely why I'm afraid of moths, even moreso than crickets. They just flap all around and don't care if they flap right into your face. So many people think this is a ridiculous fear, and I fully recognize that there is no way a moth could hurt me. But enough people share my fear that there is a name for it (mottephobia) and a support group forum (ihatebutterflies.org, although I don't hate butterflies, I hate moths).

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
I had mice in one of the houses I lived in once, I couldn't bring myself to kill them, or even trap them humanely because I barely saw them and they didn't bother me.

They were so cute. :wubbie:

Although I understand they are considered to be a health hazard so can see why others wouldn't want them in the house.

nottaprettygal

MBTI Type
INTj
That's precisely why I'm afraid of moths, even moreso than crickets. They just flap all around and don't care if they flap right into your face. So many people think this is a ridiculous fear, and I fully recognize that there is no way a moth could hurt me. But enough people share my fear that there is a name for it (mottephobia) and a support group forum (ihatebutterflies.org, although I don't hate butterflies, I hate moths).

I dunno. I'm still a little iffy about butterflies to be honest. I'm totally with you about moths. When one comes in the bedroom, I hide under the sheets until it's taken care of. I just imagine it getting in my hair or flying into my mouth as I'm screaming.

Oh wow. That's an actual website.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
*trying to relate*

We have these huntsman spiders (the non-fake spiders from Arachnophobia) where I live which are apparently attracted to light. Which sucks when you wear a head-torch to bed as I do for reading purposes. The little fuckers have dropped onto my pillow a few times and then chased me down the bed and across the room. They run fast and can jump a bit too. It's a bit like the scene from Aliens in the med-lab.

nottaprettygal

MBTI Type
INTj
Ahhh, why did I click that!? Eww. Eww. Do they even exist in the U.S.? If so, I'm never showering again.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I dunno. I'm still a little iffy about butterflies to be honest. I'm totally with you about moths. When one comes in the bedroom, I hide under the sheets until it's taken care of. I just imagine it getting in my hair or flying into my mouth as I'm screaming.

Oh wow. That's an actual website.

I love you so much right now. Nobody ever understands my moth thing!

When I was pregnant with Thing 2 I realized I had never been entirely alone, and I wanted to be entirely alone for a few days before I went back to total togetherness with another human being that relies on me for all of its sustenence, so I went to my father-in-law's mountain retreat by myself. I took the long way up and stopped at a few places to shop or whatever, so it was after dark when I drove up the loooooooooong driveway and had to open two locked gates. I used my headlights to see, and at the second gate there was a HUGE-- I mean HUGE orange moth flapping around in the beam of light, trying to get me. It was fortunate that I was entirely alone, because otherwise my squealing and darting up to and away from the gate lock would have been very embarassing.

regal-moth.jpg

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
JJJ, if I ever travel to Australia will you be my spider-killer? I'm not sure even Noah will touch that thing.