User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

We had a big-ass flying beetle in here last night, and I realized what our low ceilings at home are good for-- quick catching of flying beetles and moths and so forth. This one kept retreating up into the rafters before divebombing me, and Noah would take a swat at it before it went back up. I eventually went and took a bath while he finished it off.

(Yes, I am afraid of flying insects and I get my man to kill them for me. Don't make me give back my NOW card.)
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    here's a tangent issue.

Why do mice scare you?

They don't particular scare me, I think they are cute.
    Although they do move quickly and change direction just like those gross thousand-leggers that show up at night all the time.
    Those make me jump, especially the big ones.
    I'm not sure. I was wondering that myself because as I was searching through websites on mice, I thought some of the pictures of them were sort of cute.

Maybe it's the fact that there is a dirty little creature in my home that I never invited inside. You know, besides my husband. Also, it could be the unexpectedness of seeing one, especially if it is in motion.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    (Yes, I am afraid of flying insects and I get my man to kill them for me. Don't make me give back my NOW card.)
    Oh suriously, girl. I'm with you. I am afraid of every single bug/little critter . . . especially crickets.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

It's the uninvitedness that bugs me. Outside, I think ants are cool and I marvel at their colonial style and think deep thoughts about the nature of collectivism and the needs of the many compared to the rights (or lack thereof) of the few. Inside, they need to die. So I kill them. I'm all out of the arsenic my grandmother gave me (she bought it in the early 80s before so many wives used it to murder their husbands) and back to the yearly struggle with inadequate poisons legally available to me now.

MBTI
    INFP

+1 for the chunky peanut-buttered trap. I killed about 16 mice in 48 hours with that stuff. Fortunately we have some aggressive ants in my part of the world to dispose of the corpses. Very elegant and clean skeletons afterwards.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post
    Oh suriously, girl. I'm with you. I am afraid of every single bug/little critter . . . especially crickets.
    Oh, fuck crickets. You never know when they're going to jump! And those camel crickets are the worst. *shudder*

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    +1 for the chunky peanut-buttered trap. I killed about 16 mice in 48 hours with that stuff.
    Yikes. Note to self: Never visit Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Oh, fuck crickets. You never know when they're going to jump!
    That's always my defense when someone questions my fear of crickets. They are so erratic! How can someone NOT be frightened?

MBTI
    INTP

That reminds me of the other night when Starla found a big camel cricket in her bathroom. She let out a healthy shriek before she figured out it was just a cricket and not a spider. She still made me put it outside, though.

Fuckers can jump!

I've always been a little wary of crickets ever since one bit the living crap out of me while I was fishing.

perdu fleur par bologne Martoon's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post
    Thankfully, it got caught between the pages of a book and Haight beat it to death with a broom.
    Eww. Well, your guy does things I couldn't do.
    Even after carrying my large male in from another room and showing him the mouse, he turned around and went back to his food.
    Oh? So Haight won't beat it to death with a broom until it's caught in a book? Or just not when he's busy eating?

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    You can buy an ultrasonic device which should send them on their merry way.
    Do those actually work? I've always wondered about those.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    It's true, though. Bats are just ugly mice with cheap halloween rubber wings.
    Bats are adorable! Okay, so I have a thing for rodents. Oh, okay, so it's critters in general.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix13 View Post
    NEVER using heat in the winter has done it for me. As long as your neighbors' apartments are warm, the mouse will always prefer it. As for keeping you warm, invest in a down comforter and cashmere sweater.
    Aw, that's sweet! Then the mousies can cozy up with you in the comforter and sweater!
    ...I hope this doesn't sound as absurd as I think it does.
    Why, no! Not at all.
    I'm not a procrastinator. I'm a long-term planner.

MBTI
    INTP

Hmm, this thread also reminds me of the other night, when I was rudely awakened by a big spider crawling over my face.