User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Thread: Wine!

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by spirilis View Post
    I've found I prefer sweet wines
    .................................................. .

Mead absolutely rocks.
    This one variety of Blueberry wine I tried at the Maryland Wine Festival rocks, it has overtones of cinnamon (IMO). Made by Loew Vineyards (Mt. Airy, MD)
    I like a good sweet wine, but I also enjoy dry reds. But for a sweet wine to grab me it has to also be a "classy" kind of sweet. Hard to define that. People will say "sugar is sugar", but there is a balance with the acid ( admittedly not perfectly "balanced" if the wine is considered "sweet" ) that includes some tartness, or other factor.

Beereauslesers and tawny ports are both sweet, but completely different kinds of sweetness, besides the more obvious differences there. I enjoy good examples of both. Or Pedro Ximenez sherry...

I have only had a few examples of late harvest Semillon ( no Yquem yet, unfortunately ) but have tried many such Rieslings and a magnificent late harvest Sauvignon Blanc.

I've never tried Mead. I assumed that this was equivalent to "May wine" or other similar stuff in the jargon of more modern days. Sounds interesting if this is not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Spain also has some great wines.
    Marques de Riscal, is it called ? Something like that...

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    Big Jugs...meh
    they don't do it for me either. I think I've made my feelings clear on this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Midget View Post
    Just like there is a canned microbrew...which is perfect for camping, rafting, etc.
    Hmmm
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I live in the California Wine Country and I still don't know much about wine.

MBTI
    ISTx

You know what this means, right???? Right???

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

haha I want all your Fail pics!

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

hahahaha!
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    ENFP

My friend keeps trying to talk me into trying some port--he raves about it actually! :p My first experience with it, I didn't like it much...but I'd be up for trying it again! I've never even heard of Beereauslesers, but I'm sure there are plenty of wines I've not heard of yet or sampled. So...

MBTI
    INFP

Dry Rielslings
    Cabernet Sauvignon
    Pinot Noir
    Malbecs
    Port
    I may be bested in battle, but I shall never be defeated.

I know a little but not a lot. I like dry reds for eating with meals and for general drinking, and I like British Columbia ice wine as a dessert wine or apertif. Not a fan of whites except in cooking.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by Midget View Post
    My friend keeps trying to talk me into trying some port--he raves about it actually! :p My first experience with it, I didn't like it much...but I'd be up for trying it again! I've never even heard of Beereauslesers, but I'm sure there are plenty of wines I've not heard of yet or sampled. So...
    Beerenausleser is a style of German wine, versus being a brand name. Many different German companies offer Beerenauslesers. Trockenbeerenauslesers are wines made from raisins, and are very sweet. Even sweeter than Beerenauslesers. At the Ausleser level is when the sweetness usually becomes more apparent. The next level down is Spatlese, which means "late harvest", and so it should be likely to have some sweetness also, but sometimes is only slightly sweet. Below that is Kabinett, and so on.

Understanding German Wine Labels

As far as ports go, there are some real cheap ones which are the only ones many people have tried. ( See my Frank Zappa or the Doo-Wop thread for a song about that. )
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

MBTI
    ENFP

What would y'all sugest to pair with chocolate? :p

Kuranes - thanks for the article...when I finish my homework, I'll read it! :p