User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

Thread: Wine!

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

The US especially tends to produce varietals as opposed to meritage blends, though we're finally starting to blend our grapes as well. You still can buy a straight varietal based on where its grown though- for instance, there are about 12 different major Zinfandel regions of California and all of them have different characteristics in the flavors of the grape- I personally have a preference for Paso Robles over the others, but that's just me. The soil still matters- that's why people travel to Napa to go on a vineyard crawl.

The best way to learn the difference is to drink and to read (and talking to someone who knows the differences!). Over time you'll realize that the land, the year and who made it matter just as much as the grapes themselves that went into it.

And yes, we're blending some here now- for instance, Opus One is a blend- and a very tasty one at that. It's a bordeaux style blend, but tastes different since it's all Oakville grapes instead of French- no less delicious though
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

I can just tell you that to buy only 1 single hectare of the land seen on this picture, you have to be a multimillionaire (it's the Romane-Conti vineyard, I think). When you have the right soil, the right climate all together in the right spot, then it's like a gold mine.

Depending on the vineyards on the bottom, the middle (best) or the top of the hill, the prices of the bottles may vary from 1 to 16.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    I can just tell you that to buy only 1 single hectare of the land seen on this picture, you have to be a multimillionaire (it's the Romane-Conti vineyard, I think). When you have the right soil, the right climate all together in the right spot, then it's like a gold mine.

Depending on the vineyards on the bottom, the middle (best) or the top of the hill, the prices of the bottles may vary from 1 to 16.
    1 to 16 what?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    1 to 16 what?
    Well, I'll let you check the price of Romane-Conti bottles here, since it is the one shown in the picture:

----> 1855: Domaine de la Roman

When I say it's a gold mine, you have no idea how true it is...

(The price for ONE bottle (75cl) ranges between 709 to 17940)

Yes, ONE bottle of this wine may cost you the price of a new car. This vineyard produces only 6000 bottles a year.

---

I have never bought myself one bottle of Romane-Conti, of course, but the more "ordinary" Ctes-de-Nuits bottle usually costs something like 10 to 50. Thus, unless I suddenly win at the french lottery, odds are I'll never become a true alcoholic.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Oberon

Well, I'll let you check the price of Romane-Conti bottles here, since it is the one shown in the picture:

----> 1855: Domaine de la Roman

When I say it's a gold mine, you have no idea how true it is...

(The price for ONE bottle (75cl) ranges between 709 to 17940)

Yes, ONE bottle of this wine may cost you the price of a new car. This vineyard produce only 6000 bottles a year.
    Foolishness.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Foolishness.
    Indeed!

But it seems there are fools that buy those bottles (20% of them go to the United States). You know, that's the laws of supply and demand.

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    INFJ

It's interesting to notice that most of you, when you talk about wines, are rather refering to the cpage (grape variety), when I would rather think to the terroir first.

In the US, in Australia or in Chile, wines are usually produced in industrial quantities, on very wide surfaces, so there's only a minimal thought about the exact location where the wine has been produced. Yet the nature of climate and soils are of extreme importance.

In France, we would not say "it's a red cabernet", or "it's a zinfandel"... but rather "it's a Bourgogne", "it's a Medoc", "it's a Ctes du Rhne"... and so on.

The terroir says a lot more: its taste, how it has been "vinifi", it's far more precise. The same grape variety, when grown on different soils can produce tremendously different wines, especially in quality.
    Those fabulous names are poetry for my palate, my nose and my ears!

There are deep, complex wines that are bathed with the morning light (little limestone hills exposed to the east), and a little dessicating effect because of the southern winds directly coming from Mediterrane through the Rhne and Sane valleys..
    They should reach maturity after 5 or 10 years.
    Thanks for the lesson, Blackmail. California has a system of labelling many wines according to valley or microclimate as well as varietal.

The wine I mentioned earlier has a Tasmanian terroir. It's a blend of Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Pinot Meunier (new one for me).
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

Oberon

Indeed!

But it seems there are fools that buy those bottles (20% of them go to the United States). You know, that's the laws of supply and demand.
    Well, yes. And without doubt this vineyard produces excellent vintages.

However, when the prices reach this level, it says as much about marketing, prestige, and fashion as it does the excellence of the product itself.

In other words, it's no longer completely about the wine.

MBTI
    XNXP

I have had a few bottles of Pinot Noir from those areas. ( La Tache and Echezeaux ) and they had too much "backbone" for me. My favorite French Cote de Nuit Pinot Noirs ( so far ) have been a Coron Pere et Fils Vosne Romanee and ( from the Cote de Challonais ) a Mercurey. I shared Blackmail's Beaune preference too. I don't recall having the choice of buying or even knowing the placement of the grapes in the field. ( Top of the hill or middle etc. ) Perhaps I need to further decode the labels ?

I looked and found an inexpensive Mercurey on the net. Might be worth trying.
    Vielle Vigne Mercurey Premier Cru Menand 1999 :: Wine Review :: Winegeeks
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

MBTI
    ENFP

So, what did y'all drink with Thaknsgiving?