User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Default Keeping a sun room cheerful in the winter

Hey - I moved into a new place a few months ago, and my room has an attached sun room. The goal is to use it as a reading room and place to relax in a comfy chair. Problem is that I'll probably want to keep hanging out in there in the winter, when daylight hours are limited.

I'm thinking brightly colored curtains? Festive solar powered lights? And maybe also I could put my S.A.D. light in there and use that as my recharge station every morning?

I'll edit the OP with photos when I have a chance to take some tonight.

Edit: Took some!

IMG_0468.jpg

IMG_0469.jpg
    Last edited by EJCC; 06-28-2017 at 09:25 PM.
    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw + wampus (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!
    Likes Yuu, Hard liked this post

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    Duno None

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Hey - I moved into a new place a few months ago, and my room has an attached sun room. The goal is to use it as a reading room and place to relax in a comfy chair. Problem is that I'll probably want to keep hanging out in there in the winter, when daylight hours are limited.

I'm thinking brightly colored curtains? Festive solar powered lights? And maybe also I could put my S.A.D. light in there and use that as my recharge station every morning?

I'll edit the OP with photos when I have a chance to take some tonight.
    Sounds wonderful. I'd love a room like that. As it is I am just happy ot be moving into a 2-bdrm.
    Likes EJCC liked this post

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Yuu View Post
    Sounds wonderful. I'd love a room like that. As it is I am just happy ot be moving into a 2-bdrm.
    It is wonderful! And I know your feel.

The price I pay for this life of luxury is having five roommates - plus my room is, I think, the most expensive room in the house. But it's a pretty amazing deal for that price, and for the area.
    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"

Likes Yuu liked this post

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Added photos to the OP.

(You can see that there's a weird storage nook off to the side. I'm also interested in ideas for how to make that a bit less messy looking. Maybe buying a small screen of some kind? Or just more attractive storage?)

Looks super cheery to me! One or two bright, simple prints or pieces of artwork could do the trick too, warm colors, like yellow.

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

I would recommend candles, incense, or potpourri.
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

"I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?

Johari Nohari

https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by captain curmudgeon View Post
    I would recommend candles, incense, or potpourri.
    Yep. The papasans chair is a great start (you can also buy different covers for them). I would change out the window treatments to bamboo blinds and maybe a more sheer curtain - that way you would maximize light but there would be good texture and you could close them if need be. A brightly colored rug, for the storage area something more functional - a rack with basket cubbies or something like that.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

I think keeping any sort of plant life is a great addition. If low light levels for part or all year round, just look for plants that do ok in low or indirect light settings. And if you typically kill plants, succulents and cactus are a great way to go (unless your issue is over-watering).

And, I second warm colors, and any decor you find really uplifting or that you just find pleasure looking at / being surrounded by.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    I think keeping any sort of plant life is a great addition. If low light levels for part or all year round, just look for plants that do ok in low or indirect light settings. And if you typically kill plants, succulents and cactus are a great way to go (unless your issue is over-watering).

And, I second warm colors, and any decor you find really uplifting or that you just find pleasure looking at / being surrounded by.
    I agree with plants. Lucky bamboo or the lucky money trees are totally easy to grow plus they're very feng shui-y if that's important.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post

Plant life is strongly seconded. Also, find ways to maximize natural light if you can.
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

"I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?

Johari Nohari

https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug