User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

^I think that's just what I need to do.

Checked on my experimental plant I took from the dying soil and put in my mini-hydropon system... Fungus/mold stuff all over the roots. I pulled some other dead plants from the dead bucket of soil, fungus on the roots. Whatever was in the soil, it killed everything off. The other batch is still alive, but since that soil came from the same area, I'm going to transplant those guys too to another system.

Gonna get some miracle grow and put it in both batches of soil, and reset everything in there.

Bought a pH reader to read my water's pH and adjust it if needed, and I am ordering some Ca/Mag powder that a lot of people online seem to use to help keep plants alive... Also gonna grab some cuts of plants to retry the hydropon systems.

I will get this gardening thing down somehow.

Aloes are alive so far, and my tiny succulent even sprouted new leaves! I'm scared to take it out of its little tiny container now haha.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Guys, I am awful at growing things.

My plants are all dying. I have a fog of fuck nature that looms around me at all times... and I believe the most plausible answer is that my father was a plant necromancer that could ignore plants, let them die, and revive them with dark arts and I am paying for those sins with a curse of never letting anything around me live.

But seriously, aloe plants? Nearly all died. It was doing okay, transplanted them step by step according to the most useful resources I could find, and I FINALLY found a spot they wouldn't die in... but recently I bought rosemary, peppers, and I was regrowing green onion and celery and none of it was doing particularly well. The celery is still alive (though not growing much past where it is at now) and the peppers are alive 3/4 but, again, not growing very much, the rosemary is nearly dead (though it seemed healthy a week or two ago) and the green onions are all shot as well.

@_@ I'm trying out some gardening I've been seeing online from a dude, but I don't think it'll save the rosemary.

Guys, how do I stop killing plants? I've killed mint. MINT. I've killed aloes. I've killed many things people claim won't die.
    Perhaps you are trying to hard. Sometimes people kill plants by fussing over them too much. It is possible to over water/prune plants.
    Don't make whine out of sour grapes.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Why do you believe that miracle-gro will do anything for a fungal problem?

Compost.

Amputate your necrotic thumb and let it rot.

Gardening is about the soil, and compost feeds the soil.

The best is leaf compost, or compost produced from garden and vegetable scraps from the kitchen. Mushroom compost is often good as long as it's used as a supplement compost. Avoid cow and horse manure unless it's very well-rotted.

Digging or tilling the soil isn't worth the effort. Just put down about 6 inches of good compost and plant in that. Before winter each year, spread about 2 inches of compost. Last year, I double-dug a 16 foot by 4 foot bed in two stages. Double-digging involves removing a spade-deep layer of dirt, and then loosening the soil under that with a garden fork. It was very hard work, especially since I have compacted clay soil. In some places, I was loosening the deeper soil and removing large rocks with a pick mattock. Once I added some peat moss and compost and built a raised bed with 2x8's, I had a garden bed where the soil is tilled down to at least 24 inches! Some things grew well, but others didn't. The results of others show that most of the time, digging or tilling the soil is a waste.