User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISFJ

Default Attracting birds to your yard

Post any ideas, hints, and experiences in attracting birds to your (back)yard. Not only can they be melodic, help with pest control, and beautify the area, they can be soothing and run to watch, too.

My experiences:
    1) Let the backyard naturalize (i.e. go wild). This provides a more natural habitat for them to hide and live in. There is a straggly looking spruce, a previous owners' Christmas tree, in the backyard that provides cover, shelter, and a hiding spot for the birds as they come to the feeder. All the trees in the back (Sweet Gum, Pine, Cypress) provide nesting spots and areas to search for food. This has drawn in Crows, Grackles, Titmice, Chickadees, Wrens, Nuthatches, Goldfinches, Woodpeckers, Sapsuckers, even Barred owls for us to watch or listen to. Our arbor has had Cardinals and Robins nesting in it.

2) Plant attractive plants. Catnip is a great plant to put out. Goldfinches like to pick at it and, provided it is the right type of catnip, it can provide somewhat of a barrier between neighborhood cats and the feeder. Note that there are some cats who are NOT affected by catnip so it is a hit or miss proposition to stopping cats. Also be aware that bees and butterflies are also attracted to catnip which can provide great photo-ops for amateur photographers. Black-eyed susan is also a great plant for attracting goldfinches, who love their seeds. Several years ago, we had a bumper crop of Black-eyed susans, thanks to the Goldfinches, who used to hang on the flowers in such numbers that all the flowers in our yard were bent over almost touching the ground. It was funny driving up and seeing all the finches fly off and all the flowers pop back up.

3) Nesting boxes. We have had Titmice, Wrens (really messy nesters), Chickadees, and Blue Birds living in our yard thanks to nest boxes we provided.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Default Follow-up on the topic of plants to attract birds...

If bees are attracted to certain colors, it certainly can be true for birds too. Keep this in mind when planting.

MBTI
    INTJ

Have a water feature. Many folk put out feed and plants for the birds but forget water. The addition of a fountain to our very new suburban yard last year brought so many more animals to our backyard it was stunning.

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

MBTI
    ENTP

i bet that fountain would be a lot more effective if you filled it with worms.
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

You know most blokes are satisfied claiming six inches. Trust you to go getting silly!

Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INXP

Having two cats doesn't help. Well, it helps the cats, but the feathers/blood make a mess of the carpet.

-Geoff

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Attracting birds to your yard
    Throw a party, with a barbecue and hot guys. Then invite a bunch, they might even come, but I know that's rather unlikely.

You could also put out some shiny stuff, they like shiny stuff, but they prefer real shiny stuff, otherwise they leave pretty quickly...
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    type

Moving water works even better.

We've used commercial drippers and misters. Hummers will bathe in the misters. I've read about rigging a pail with a nail hole over a bath.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by rivercrow View Post
    Moving water works even better.

We've used commercial drippers and misters. Hummers will bathe in the misters. I've read about rigging a pail with a nail hole over a bath.
    Wouldn't you be better off with just splashing water? I'm thinking of the kind of mist common near waterfalls, hosepipes and fountains.

(Of course I'm also ignorant to the cost of plumbing these things )
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTJ

I've had hummers come play with the hose while I've been watering plants. They seem fascinated with it.

Bathing Rubythroat

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.