• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Attracting birds to your yard

sdalek

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Post any ideas, hints, and experiences in attracting birds to your (back)yard. Not only can they be melodic, help with pest control, and beautify the area, they can be soothing and run to watch, too.

My experiences:
1) Let the backyard naturalize (i.e. go wild). This provides a more natural habitat for them to hide and live in. There is a straggly looking spruce, a previous owners' Christmas tree, in the backyard that provides cover, shelter, and a hiding spot for the birds as they come to the feeder. All the trees in the back (Sweet Gum, Pine, Cypress) provide nesting spots and areas to search for food. This has drawn in Crows, Grackles, Titmice, Chickadees, Wrens, Nuthatches, Goldfinches, Woodpeckers, Sapsuckers, even Barred owls for us to watch or listen to. Our arbor has had Cardinals and Robins nesting in it.

2) Plant attractive plants. Catnip is a great plant to put out. Goldfinches like to pick at it and, provided it is the right type of catnip, it can provide somewhat of a barrier between neighborhood cats and the feeder. Note that there are some cats who are NOT affected by catnip so it is a hit or miss proposition to stopping cats. Also be aware that bees and butterflies are also attracted to catnip which can provide great photo-ops for amateur photographers. Black-eyed susan is also a great plant for attracting goldfinches, who love their seeds. Several years ago, we had a bumper crop of Black-eyed susans, thanks to the Goldfinches, who used to hang on the flowers in such numbers that all the flowers in our yard were bent over almost touching the ground. It was funny driving up and seeing all the finches fly off and all the flowers pop back up.

3) Nesting boxes. We have had Titmice, Wrens (really messy nesters), Chickadees, and Blue Birds living in our yard thanks to nest boxes we provided.

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
Have a water feature. Many folk put out feed and plants for the birds but forget water. The addition of a fountain to our very new suburban yard last year brought so many more animals to our backyard it was stunning.

MBTI Type
ENTP
i bet that fountain would be a lot more effective if you filled it with worms.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
You know most blokes are satisfied claiming six inches. Trust you to go getting silly!

:D

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Having two cats doesn't help. Well, it helps the cats, but the feathers/blood make a mess of the carpet.

-Geoff

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
Attracting birds to your yard
Throw a party, with a barbecue and hot guys. Then invite a bunch, they might even come, but I know that's rather unlikely.

You could also put out some shiny stuff, they like shiny stuff, but they prefer real shiny stuff, otherwise they leave pretty quickly...

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
Moving water works even better.

We've used commercial drippers and misters. Hummers will bathe in the misters. I've read about rigging a pail with a nail hole over a bath.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Moving water works even better.

We've used commercial drippers and misters. Hummers will bathe in the misters. I've read about rigging a pail with a nail hole over a bath.
Wouldn't you be better off with just splashing water? I'm thinking of the kind of mist common near waterfalls, hosepipes and fountains.

(Of course I'm also ignorant to the cost of plumbing these things :D )

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Regrettably we dont have any Hummingbirds in the UK. Squirrels might like a swim, perhaps.

-Geoff

sdalek

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Have a water feature. Many folk put out feed and plants for the birds but forget water. The addition of a fountain to our very new suburban yard last year brought so many more animals to our backyard it was stunning.

Suet (or animal fat) is another good food source that can be used to attract birds to your yard. It's a high energy food source that will attract woodpeckers, titmice, nuthatches, and other birds.

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
Suet (or animal fat) is another good food source that can be used to attract birds to your yard. It's a high energy food source that will attract woodpeckers, titmice, nuthatches, and other birds.

.. and racoons! :D

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
I prefer a slingshot and dog food pellets for pelting squirrels. I have bad aim anyway....

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
Squirrels are good where I live - we have the cute little red ones, and chimpmunks. As long as we have seeds / nuts out they things alone. Good thing because I have tomatoes, peppers and cukes growing... for our enjoyment, not theirs!