Sheriff of Fabletown... Gentleman Jack's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    837 sx
    Socionics
    SLE Se

Default The Great Outdoors

Any campers, hikers, and adventurers of all kinds feel free to share your favorite experiences, tips and tricks, or pictures here.
    With all Due Respect,
    -Jack

I am the Cat who walks by himself, and all places are alike to me...

I've never been nice my whole life, but I'll do my best... to be sweet...

A Gentleman is simply a patient Wolf...

On a gathering storm comes a tall handsome man; in a dusty black coat with a red right hand...

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    Duno None

I haven't been out camping/hiking in years because my husband hates it.
    I love it so much. I am so much happier outdoors than I am inside.Almost a different oerson, I think.

Usually I drag my ass out of bed 8:30 but when I'm camping I get up-fully energized with the sun. I used to go a summer camp where the older kids actually went out to a campsite. The other kids hated me because they could never prank me because I was up at 5am helping out the cook. I eventually took over because the cook wanted to sleep in.

In fact, I kind of took over everything. Lazy councelors.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Yes. Of anything in this world, nature is what I find most important and amazing. From the smallest organisms up to the vast landscapes -- everything linked and interconnected. I swear I'm not trying to sound like a school textbook on the food chain, but it's true -- it's amazing to me. And most people tend to forget we're a part of it. That we came from it.

My happiest moments are when I have been in the wilderness, landscapes spreading out before me - me seeing all. Hiking across and up and down the land, one step at a time, waking up and getting out of a tent (well, there are negatives to this but the positives outweigh, haha) and it being so peaceful and just being surrounded by trees and seeing the sun rise and birds beginning to sing, trekking through the desert and seeing little lizards running across the path, summitting a mountain and looking all around at the peaks rising towards the horizon. Walking across boulders in a stream, to get to the other side. Crouching down in a field of wildflowers and seeing all of the blooms up close. Walking through an aspen grove at the height of autumn, feeling the crunch of leaves and smelling the crisp air. Climbing a rock wall in the desert. Going off trail and exploring terrain and seeing things very few do. Kayaking in a small lake, waist at water level, seeing that unique perspective. Seeing a snowshoe hare running up a mountain slope in the dead of winter. Snowshoeing through fresh fluffy powdery snow.

A few pics!

"...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

I've been meaning to post to this thread, it was just a matter of plucking up enough courage to share something. The outdoors has always been near and dear to my heart since childhood and I love to explore and escape to wild places whenever I get a chance. A number of years ago, I took a state park contractor position in the Santa Catalina's just north of Tucson. It was an incredible experience and I was equally enamored with the lowland Saguaro scrub deserts as the dry Ponderosa pine woodlands on Mt Mica where I stayed. Our camp served as a sawyer and wilderness firefighter station during fire season and had a dugout water supply that filled seasonally. Because it was so remote, we had to have food and supplies lugged up by mule train every few weeks and filter all of our water. During monsoon season, the mountains were literally buried in cloud and fog while the lower desert flooded. I never saw any cougars or antelope, but one big male black bear shambled into camp early one morning that spooked the whole team. Here are some pictures of my time there, including home sweet home at the time:

If anyone's ever in the area, the hike from the Madrona Ranger Station to Manning Camp is beautiful and challenging. Well worth the effort! Manning
    Likes Qlip, cascadeco, Gentleman Jack liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I need to go out camping soon, it's been a pretty important part of my life in the last couple of years.

My special lady friend hiking in the rain by the ocean (out of view):

Me in Norcal at where a redwood forest meets the beach:

My buddy and my shadow in Death Valley:

My favorite secret spot in Big Sur:

Likes amanki, Gentleman Jack liked this post

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Nature is the core of my existence, but I'm not project or goal oriented about it so I don't do extensive hiking or rock climbing. I'm not sporty about it, but have a deep need to sit quietly and live quietly in nature.

Most of my life I'd find my special spot connected to some nature scene and sit there for hours at a time. Living only in the city turns my heart grey.

I'm trying to work towards living permantly far enough into nature that I don't see other people but instead see wildlife. A month ago I made eye contact with a large deer and it filled up my heart with its purity and wildness of spirit. I've also been friends with trees and only understand peace and meaning when sitting quietly and transcending words.

SpaceCadetGoldStarBrigade Population: 1's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

I absolutely love the mountains. The solitude, the landscape, the lack of light pollution as you gaze up at the stars at night. The still quiet with only birds and wind in the trees to meet your ears. Heaven on Earth. I need to get back there. It's been a while.
    To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity. Douglas Adams

As per orders of the No likes experiment I am not liking posts for the duration.
    Likes thepink-cloakedninja liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    584 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

The call of the wild courses through my spirit like river rapids. I fight daily the call, drawing me to the wilderness. I always have the urge to drop everything in my life, pack up the family and disappear into the backcountry. A small, efficient, off-grid homestead on the backside of some unnamed mountain range sounds like Heaven to me. Until then, I love being outdoors, hiking, running, climbing, camping, hunting, exploring, vision questing, etc. It will have to do for now.
    Here is a picture of me and a friend hiking the A.T. Back when I was a young man.
    INTJ 5w4 sx/sp 584 ILI-Ni