• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Gardening Wisdom

faith

MBTI Type
INFJ
How many of you grow your own fruits and vegetables? What bits of insight, wisdom, and skill can you share?

How did you get started?

How do you prep the soil?

What do you grow?

Do you irrigate or water by hand?

What have you learned the hard way?

I'd love to have a garden and I'm trying to figure out where to start and what I might be getting myself into.

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
I'd suggest starting off small if you're worried about taking on too much. Square foot gardening is a great way to get your feet wet.

I just put in my first garden at our new home and before I did I spent a few weeks watching the yard, looking to see where the best, sunniest spot would be. Vegetables like a lot of sunlight. Something I learned years ago is be sure that whatever you plant, you put the rows in north /south and plant the taller vegetables at the back - both are so shade doesn't become a problem.

I am growing plants that I know will do well in my soil; sandy loam. And of course ones that only need a certain amount of sunlight days, because I'm rather north. Tomatoes, peppers, herbs, cucumbers, lettuce. You've probably got a good long growing season in Alabama.

Keep in mind that you can get a lot of produce from one plant. A lot. Too much! So if you plant it be sure you like it; or you know someone who does. :D

I water from a rain barrel; it's feasible because the garden is still small.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
How many of you grow your own fruits and vegetables? What bits of insight, wisdom, and skill can you share?

How did you get started?

What do you grow?

I'd love to have a garden and I'm trying to figure out where to start and what I might be getting myself into.

Rule #1: Don't have parents that have forced you to garden since you were a kid, for you will become the destroyer of plants... the name they whisper in as the sun sets and darkness falls across the land.

Other than that, it all depends where you are and how much effort you are willing to put in. A small garden just for vegetables? Then that's pretty easy to do and maintain. Same with a spice garden. On the other hand, you can go all out. For example, my parents have banana and palm trees... and other exotic plants that make me feel like a velociraptor or three will jump out at me, woven into their roses and vegetables alike.

The best way to start is to figure out what you want to grow, learn about those plants and figure out where to plant them/what to do to keep them alive.

How to prepare soil depends on where you live; in general, you'll want to turn it if you can. If not, you'll need a raised bed or similar and bring soil/sand in, depending on the conditions.

We grew everything. Literally. I don't think there is an edible plant that my family hasn't grown. I had kiwis next to my plum tree... I had (for a short time) leeches next to apple trees... I had a 40 foot long concord grape vine that got cut back for the rasberry trees. And of course, that's on top of all the vegetables and mutated half-trees that they tried, and some man eating rose vines with 3 inch claws... thorns... whatever.

A combination of both. For the most part, we threaded soaker hoses through and watered early and late... but for some plants that needed more/less water, in a tough location, etc we did it by hand. Overhead watering is generally to be avoided, especially if you are in a hotter area.

I learned that I hate plants.

It all depends on scope. Far better to know what you want before you start... and this is coming from a P!

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
peeing is a resourceful way of watering them. tho id get a few dogs for the task myself.

:shock: Yeah, that'll work great if you're wanting to kill them, lol, though cat piss is even better for that. Cat piss kills everything.

We garden using the raised bed method here. No plows or even tilling. (we dig ours up by hand, though a tiller would be faster and easier). Mulch with straw to keep moisture in and to help keep weeds down and just weed as you would a flower bed. I've never tried 'square foot' gardening so I don't know much about that. With raised beds you still put everything in rows pretty much, just closer so that you don't waste garden space. I don't grow everything that I'd like to but still get a good yield out of the space I have.

Green beans, tomatoes (yum) squash, cukes, corn on the cob, peppers, lettuce and potatoes. We have a few fruit trees, blueberry bushes, wild blackberry vines coming on (now that I'm really excited about) mulberry trees, pawpaws, hickory and black walnut trees.

Puttering around in the garden is one of my favorite pastimes. Especially after having a really bad day. It relaxes me completely. It's 'time out of mind' for me. I call it 'dirt therapy'. :party2:

darlets

Alas, no water for us, hence no garden.

STAGE 4 WATER RESTRICTIONS FACT SHEET

The following provides a summary of key Stage 4 water restrictions. Contact your local water business for further information on water restrictions that may be in place in your area.

Residential and Commercial Gardens and Lawns
All outside watering is BANNED. No watering at any time, by any means.

Public Gardens and Lawns

Sporting Grounds

Paving, concrete and other hard surfaces
Hosing banned except for construction purposes or in emergency; or for health or safety hazard.

Vehicles
A vehicle may only be washed for health and safety reasons, in which case the windows and lights must be washed and rinsed by means of a bucket, filled directly from the tap (not by hose). Commercial car washes which use water from a source other than your local water business reticulated water system can be used.

Apparently stage 5 water restriction are your only allowed to sweat between 10 am and 3 pm and you can only shower ever other day.
:violin: whinge whinge whinge.

Hope your garden goes well. :hug:

faith

MBTI Type
INFJ
We garden using the raised bed method here. No plows or even tilling. (we dig ours up by hand, though a tiller would be faster and easier). Mulch with straw to keep moisture in and to help keep weeds down and just weed as you would a flower bed. I've never tried 'square foot' gardening so I don't know much about that. With raised beds you still put everything in rows pretty much, just closer so that you don't waste garden space. I don't grow everything that I'd like to but still get a good yield out of the space I have.

Don't raised beds dry out more easily and so need a little more water? Do you just use a garden hose every evening, or do you have some kind of drip irrigation system?

I think raised beds might be the way for me to go right now. Around here there are two rocks for every one dirt, not to mention endless roots! (I live in the woods.) I don't have a tiller or anything, so turning this land by hand is pretty darn difficult. Also, I live alone so I don't need a huge garden.

Do you (or anyone else) have definite opinions on fertilizer? My aunt has cows, so I could get a load of manure from her. She also has rabbits, and I've heard that pellet-poop is better for gardens. Do any of you compost?

Maybe I should find a good beginner gardening site.

Does anyone here practice companion planting?

edit: Some counties around here have water restrictions, but I've got a good deep well.

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ

Yes, definitely. Anything I can do to keep the nasties to a minimum naturally. I have basil and bee balm growing with tomatoes, peppers near the basil and parsley, and I have lemon balm growing around as well.

We also use raised beds, and while they may dry out more, they also keep your plants from freezing later in the season - the soil stays warmer, longer. Plus you don't have to bend down so low!

Your soil sounds like mine, we joke that it came with extra rocks. :rolleyes:

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Don't raised beds dry out more easily and so need a little more water? Do you just use a garden hose every evening, or do you have some kind of drip irrigation system?

This depends on the bed. If you are using a plastic container rather than a self built wood/stone one, it all depends on how absorbant the soil underneath is. This also assumes that you have a reasonable height for what you are growing. The main reason you'll hear that you need more water is because most people use raised beds for bedding plants, which requires water more often compared to mature plants.

Having said that, you need the right amount of water for the volume of soil you have - raised beds should absorb it faster, drawing it away from plants with smaller roots... and you probably will have run off. So you may need more because of that - the soil we have here isn't compact like it is where you are.

Do you (or anyone else) have definite opinions on fertilizer? My aunt has cows, so I could get a load of manure from her. She also has rabbits, and I've heard that pellet-poop is better for gardens. Do any of you compost?

If you are growing vegetables in Alabama and are you using natural soil, you'll need to turn the land and mix in a lower ph fertilizer. For the most part, you'd be looking for a PH between 6.0 and 6.5, unless you plan on growing trees or flowers (in which case you'd want it to be 5.0 - 6.0). So if you stick to plants that fit your climate, pretty much any fertilizer will do. This is even truer for raised beds with imported/bedding soil.

For starting, you don't need anything fancy. If you want to prepare your own soil, be very aware that you are in a hostile zone towards a lot of common plants and fertilizer may make your soil even worse.

There is nothing better than compost, in terms of natural ways of keeping your garden going. It's like you are giving a meal to your garden rather than just vitamins. Having said that, the turnover rate of compost depends a lot on worms, humidity and bacteria - Alabama is probably less than ideal for a small scale composting plant unless you are planning for 3-5 years in the future. (I don't know this for sure.)

It'll be easier to just list what you want to grow an search for what that plant needs.

You'd be shocked how many variations on a plant there are Tomatoes!. This way you can pick easier varieties (ie: romain lettuce over butter lettuce), including fruit plants (in your case, strawberries and rasberries are both PH tolerant, where blueberries are decidedly not) and other staples (potatoes require lower PHs as well, compared to cucumbers and corn).

Never needed to but it is useful. It should be secondary to a good foundation (soil, watering and sun conditions), especially in a smaller bed.

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6

I think raised beds might be the way for me to go right now. Around here there are two rocks for every one dirt, not to mention endless roots! (I live in the woods.) I don't have a tiller or anything, so turning this land by hand is pretty darn difficult. Also, I live alone so I don't need a huge garden.

edit: Some counties around here have water restrictions, but I've got a good deep well.

Faith, you have my sympathies about the rocks! If rocks were worth anything I'd be rich. We got into the raised beds by necessity. My brilliant hubby decided to do a little landscaping and obliterated about a third of my single row garden. Well, he was supposed to save the top 10 to 12 inches of the garden soil, make his parking pad and extend my garden on the back side depositing the saved soil on top. The next thing I knew I was noticing little tomato plants and cukes and corn etc. etc. growing in his new parking pad. He'd put the saved garden soil there instead of my extended garden patch! I had no top soil left so the only way to have a garden in the same place was to build beds on top of the ground.

Definitely go with the cow manure. The more composted the better. (I don't know anything about rabbit pellets, though it sounds good) We made the beds about 12 ft x 4 ft to make it easier to reach from both sides to weed. About half the soil was composted saw dust and manure. The rest was a combo of Hyponex top soil ( everything else we tried was junk) peat and just a bit of sand. I'd definitely go with a book on this as far as trying to amend regular soil. We also added a little bit of clay to heavy it up to help with water retention and flavor. That sound weird, but regular top soil gives veggies, especially tomatoes, a much better flavor.

We water, when we have to, by hand. We're also on a private well, so we catch rainwater in a 30ish gallon rubbermaid trashcan. We took down a downspout and it runs off into the 'barrel'. We try not to water with the hose unless absolutely necessary and the way this summer's going so far, it might be necessary. :cry:

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
Other than that, it all depends where you are and how much effort you are willing to put in. A small garden just for vegetables? Then that's pretty easy to do and maintain. Same with a spice garden. On the other hand, you can go all out. For example, my parents have banana and palm trees... and other exotic plants that make me feel like a velociraptor or three will jump out at me, woven into their roses and vegetables alike.

[snip]

We grew everything. Literally. I don't think there is an edible plant that my family hasn't grown. I had kiwis next to my plum tree... I had (for a short time) leeches next to apple trees... I had a 40 foot long concord grape vine that got cut back for the rasberry trees. And of course, that's on top of all the vegetables and mutated half-trees that they tried, and some man eating rose vines with 3 inch claws... thorns... whatever.
You raised blood-sucking worms? Banana trees?! Palm trees?! In Vancouver?! You're jerking my chain, I know it.

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
:shock: Yeah, that'll work great if you're wanting to kill them, lol, though cat piss is even better for that. Cat piss kills everything.
Cat is bad stuff, but if you water down your urine, it makes a great fertilizer. Urinating on/near large trees/shrubs/plants gives them a dose of fertilizer.

mystery

MBTI Type
xSFJ

How did you get started?

What do you grow?

hello:hi: you be getting yourself into a great adventure...that will last a life time ..i love plants and there so much to learn ...i not be able to learn it all in my life time....nothing better than growing your own food ...and the taste well you cant beat it ...if i can help feel free to ask any questions :smile:....so go get your hands dirty and just jump in ...we all get bits wrong but that the fun when you put it right...you learn more by just having a go..read up on basics .but just go for it..it easy really :D

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
You raised blood-sucking worms? Banana trees?! Palm trees?! In Vancouver?! You're jerking my chain, I know it.

I'm 100% serious. And not small ones. We are talking 15 foot palm trees, 20 foot banana stalks. My parents got kiwis growing on bamboo for crying out loud. Roses with thorns the size of lion claws... with grapes growing on it, next to the raspberries, which is sorta by the apple tree that grows 3 different types of apples on it. Yes, they spliced together the tree.

:doh:

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm 100% serious. And not small ones. We are talking 15 foot palm trees, 20 foot banana stalks. My parents got kiwis growing on bamboo for crying out loud. Roses with thorns the size of lion claws... with grapes growing on it, next to the raspberries, which is sorta by the apple tree that grows 3 different types of apples on it. Yes, they spliced together the tree.

:doh:

What kinds of sacrifices did they make, and to which gods? :shock:

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
How many of you grow your own fruits and vegetables?

Me. :)

What bits of insight, wisdom, and skill can you share?

I have no visdom. Just put the right plants to right places and give them right amount of water + fertilizers

How did you get started?

I started with house plants and noticed that I enjoy house plants and they seem to enjoy me because I got them to blossom. When I got the first appartment with a small front yard I planted there some flowers.

I'm not very good in preparing. I usually buy some mould to start with. ;)

What do you grow?

Now that I have lots of space to grow things up I'll have to plan my actions. :) Before I have grown flowers, tomatoes, zucchinis, raspberries, strawberries etc-

Water by a hose. :)

:thinking:

Faith - Just go for it! It's fun, relaxing and therapeutic! :yes:

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
It's fun, relaxing and therapeutic! :yes:

Until your plants, which you painstakingly grew from seed die. Due to a fortnight of 95-110 degree fahreneheit weather in autumn (fall), water rationing and no rain for two months. :frown:

Mallow

MBTI Type
ISFP
How did you get started?

I grew up on a farm, so it was a given that, when possible, you grew your own.
We sell our surplus at a Farmer's Market on Saturdays and that pays for whatever we need for the next gardening season (and then some).

Add organic matter, till, remove rocks.....repeat.
I live in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains so there are always new rocks to be removed.

What do you grow?

Squash, tomatoes, cilantro, a variety of melons, basil, corn, beans, apples,strawberries, blackberries, and many, many flowers both annual and perennial

There is ditch irrigation available but I do it by hand.

That there are times when all your sweat and care come to naught due to the whims of nature.
Que Sera.
Try again next year, or, if there is enough growing season left, now.

You'd best be prepared not to have extended vacations during the growing season unless you have someone you trust to tend your garden while you are gone.
They require attention to do well and if you are unwilling or unable to invest that attention over an extended period of time it is probably best not to start.
Gardens grow on nature's timetable and are sometimes frustrating for those used to fast food, microwaved meals, or having some other piece of technology serve up what they want at the push of a button or two.