• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Gardening Wisdom

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
I do not do this any more but have done it and would like to do so again.

How did you get started?
My mother is a plant person - has a nursery with tons of plant varieties, and one day she got the idea to grow some food as well because she was dissatisfied with the quality of something she had bought, though I do not remember what.

How do you prep the soil?
First, she got good soil from the country. She would either use that by itself or mix it with compost and/or organic fertilizer.

What do you grow?
We grew spinach, peppers, okra, tomatoes, cherries . . . that is all I can remember now.

Do you irrigate or water by hand?
It varied. We preferred rain to tap water,which meant that there was some hand irrigation at times.

What have you learned the hard way?
Be careful when you water . . . you do not want to do it right before or during strong sunshine. In the evening is best. And watch the compost quality, particularly if you buy your compost.

I'd love to have a garden and I'm trying to figure out where to start and what I might be getting myself into.[/QUOTE]