User Tag List

First 123 Last

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Other than that, it all depends where you are and how much effort you are willing to put in. A small garden just for vegetables? Then that's pretty easy to do and maintain. Same with a spice garden. On the other hand, you can go all out. For example, my parents have banana and palm trees... and other exotic plants that make me feel like a velociraptor or three will jump out at me, woven into their roses and vegetables alike.

[snip]

We grew everything. Literally. I don't think there is an edible plant that my family hasn't grown. I had kiwis next to my plum tree... I had (for a short time) leeches next to apple trees... I had a 40 foot long concord grape vine that got cut back for the rasberry trees. And of course, that's on top of all the vegetables and mutated half-trees that they tried, and some man eating rose vines with 3 inch claws... thorns... whatever.
    You raised blood-sucking worms? Banana trees?! Palm trees?! In Vancouver?! You're jerking my chain, I know it.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by AllAboutSoul View Post
    Yeah, that'll work great if you're wanting to kill them, lol, though cat piss is even better for that. Cat piss kills everything.
    Cat is bad stuff, but if you water down your urine, it makes a great fertilizer. Urinating on/near large trees/shrubs/plants gives them a dose of fertilizer.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    xSFJ

Quote Originally Posted by faith View Post
    How many of you grow your own fruits and vegetables? What bits of insight, wisdom, and skill can you share?

How did you get started?

How do you prep the soil?

What do you grow?

Do you irrigate or water by hand?

What have you learned the hard way?

I'd love to have a garden and I'm trying to figure out where to start and what I might be getting myself into.
    hello you be getting yourself into a great adventure...that will last a life time ..i love plants and there so much to learn ...i not be able to learn it all in my life time....nothing better than growing your own food ...and the taste well you cant beat it ...if i can help feel free to ask any questions ....so go get your hands dirty and just jump in ...we all get bits wrong but that the fun when you put it right...you learn more by just having a go..read up on basics .but just go for it..it easy really

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    You raised blood-sucking worms? Banana trees?! Palm trees?! In Vancouver?! You're jerking my chain, I know it.
    I'm 100% serious. And not small ones. We are talking 15 foot palm trees, 20 foot banana stalks. My parents got kiwis growing on bamboo for crying out loud. Roses with thorns the size of lion claws... with grapes growing on it, next to the raspberries, which is sorta by the apple tree that grows 3 different types of apples on it. Yes, they spliced together the tree.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    I'm 100% serious. And not small ones. We are talking 15 foot palm trees, 20 foot banana stalks. My parents got kiwis growing on bamboo for crying out loud. Roses with thorns the size of lion claws... with grapes growing on it, next to the raspberries, which is sorta by the apple tree that grows 3 different types of apples on it. Yes, they spliced together the tree.

What kinds of sacrifices did they make, and to which gods?

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Natrushka View Post
    What kinds of sacrifices did they make, and to which gods?
    Their children, namely me, to the god of guilt trips. Scary bastard she is.

MBTI
    INTJ

<snort> Pack yer bags, pt's going on a guilt trip.

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

How many of you grow your own fruits and vegetables?

Me.

What bits of insight, wisdom, and skill can you share?

I have no visdom. Just put the right plants to right places and give them right amount of water + fertilizers

How did you get started?

I started with house plants and noticed that I enjoy house plants and they seem to enjoy me because I got them to blossom. When I got the first appartment with a small front yard I planted there some flowers.

I'm not very good in preparing. I usually buy some mould to start with.

What do you grow?

Now that I have lots of space to grow things up I'll have to plan my actions. Before I have grown flowers, tomatoes, zucchinis, raspberries, strawberries etc-

Water by a hose.

Faith - Just go for it! It's fun, relaxing and therapeutic!

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Alcea Rosea View Post
    It's fun, relaxing and therapeutic!
    Until your plants, which you painstakingly grew from seed die. Due to a fortnight of 95-110 degree fahreneheit weather in autumn (fall), water rationing and no rain for two months.

MBTI
    ISFP

How did you get started?
    I grew up on a farm, so it was a given that, when possible, you grew your own.
    We sell our surplus at a Farmer's Market on Saturdays and that pays for whatever we need for the next gardening season (and then some).

Add organic matter, till, remove rocks.....repeat.
    I live in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains so there are always new rocks to be removed.

What do you grow?
    Squash, tomatoes, cilantro, a variety of melons, basil, corn, beans, apples,strawberries, blackberries, and many, many flowers both annual and perennial

There is ditch irrigation available but I do it by hand.

That there are times when all your sweat and care come to naught due to the whims of nature.
    Que Sera.
    Try again next year, or, if there is enough growing season left, now.

I'd love to have a garden and I'm trying to figure out where to start and what I might be getting myself into.
    You'd best be prepared not to have extended vacations during the growing season unless you have someone you trust to tend your garden while you are gone.
    They require attention to do well and if you are unwilling or unable to invest that attention over an extended period of time it is probably best not to start.
    Gardens grow on nature's timetable and are sometimes frustrating for those used to fast food, microwaved meals, or having some other piece of technology serve up what they want at the push of a button or two.