• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

$20k house...and it's very nice.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This House Costs Just $20,000—But It’s Nicer Than Yours | Co.Exist | ideas + impact - Linkis.com

This was a very interesting read. Changing how we think about things like housing could result in better lives, lower costs, and reduced environmental impact.

For over a decade, architecture students at Rural Studio, Auburn University's design-build program in a tiny town in West Alabama, have worked on a nearly impossible problem. How do you design a home that someone living below the poverty line can afford, but that anyone would want—while also providing a living wage for the local construction team that builds it?

In January, after years of building prototypes, the team finished their first pilot project in the real world. Partnering with a commercial developer outside Atlanta, in a tiny community called Serenbe, they built two one-bedroom houses, with materials that cost just $14,000 each.

But the bigger challenge is fitting a house that's completely different than normal into the existing system of zoning, and codes, how contractors do their jobs, and even mortgages.

"The houses are designed to appear to be sort of normative, but they're really high-performance little machines in every way," says Smith. "They're built more like airplanes than houses, which allows us to have them far exceed structural requirements. ... We're using material much more efficiently. But the problem is your local code official doesn't understand that. They look at the documents, and the house is immediately denied a permit simply because the code officials didn't understand it."

The goal: To figure out how to bring the ultra-low-cost homes, called the 20K Home, to the broader market. "We're in a kind of experimental stage of the program, where we're really trying to find out the best practice of getting this house out into the public's hands," says Rusty Smith, associate director of Rural Studio. "Really this first field test was to find out all the things that we didn't know, and to find out all of the kind of wrong assumptions that we had made, and really find out how we had screwed up, honestly."

The foundation of the house, for example, uses cantilevers, seesaw-like joists that help save wood and concrete and actually make the house stronger than a typical foundation would. But the design isn't in the usual guides that code officials consult, so the architects had to go back and explain how it worked.

"A traditional construction set basically tells a builder what to build," says Smith. "And what we learned that we really need is what we've come to refer to as not a construction set, really an instruction set. That not just tells what to build, but specifically how to build it and even more important, why it should be built that way."

Once they have the full "instruction set" ready, the team wants to share it with anyone who wants to use it "The ultimate goal of the project is to give it away," he says.

"We provide the information to you, so that if you wanted to sort of self-service the house yourself, it is a house that with the right set of instructions, anybody who wanted to could build it," Smith says.

Back in the day, Craftsmen style homes were sold in catalogs and all the pieces shipped to a jobsite with the plans. It would be interesting to have a similar thing today. This could be important down the road....

It is a 5 minute read at the link (with pictures!)

bedeviled1

20k? That's amazing. I like the look. I do believe it's time to think outside the box on things like homes...

Korvinagor

Cyber Strider
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I must say, this is very, very cool. Housing prices are ridiculously high these days, so techniques like these if applied to regular houses would do wonders for young people looking to penetrate the market.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Eh thats not a bad house for the price of a cheapish car. To me in the 21st century this is a century of mobility not just staying fixed in one spot so it makes sense to have cheaper housing that is more about high tech than being of fancy design. After all whats the point in living in a palace if the job to be a king is suddenly moved 2000 miles away.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Okay but I could probably add more pieces of furniture in that house? Just maybe?
It feels absent.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The $20,000 is still small unless you're wanting to live a minimalist life. Then yeah, not a bad home.

I still prefer my parents home.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That is beautiful! I wouldn't mind living in something like that house.

There's also a movement in America where people are buying and living in tiny houses, many of which can cost up to a fraction of what an average house in California would probably sell for. Some are even building their own houses.

What Is The Tiny House Movement? – The Tiny Life

I live in a house a fraction of what california pays and its 2000sqft.

I do want a plot of land to build a small house on, but i need bigger living arrangements then a single small house. Like maybe a couple surrounding a really nice central patio. One for excercise equipment, bedroom and bathroom in each house, kitchen as another. :shrug: i like the modular idea

I live in a house a fraction of what california pays and its 2000sqft.

I do want a plot of land to build a small house on, but i need bigger living arrangements then a single small house. Like maybe a couple surrounding a really nice central patio. One for excercise equipment, bedroom and bathroom in each house, kitchen as another. :shrug: i like the modular idea

Yeah, the housing market is crazy in California. I'm not surprised it's way cheaper in other places. If you want to live in a house in California but save a ton of money, tiny housing would be your best bet. :laugh:

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wonder how much the vacant land costs?

Over here, the government builds 40sqm houses for the poor that go for $8,800 to the builder/developer, brick and mortar with solar geysers installed. For family incomes below $1100 p/m. These figures only looks this impressive because of my country's currency is devaluing by the day.

low-cost-housing-300x167.jpg

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I want to move into that tiny house to force my husband to trash/sell this garbage he keeps around here. I might as well live in a small house if so much of the space is wasted on things we don't use.