User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

I could.

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

MBTI
    type

Yup. You're the OP owner and it's in the public space.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

MBTI
    INTJ

I was agreeing. Yes, I could. I might. Not now though. How's that for letting a little Pness out?

Really.

MBTI
    INTJ

Default Downypeckerheads

Since this is the Twitchy Birder Blog I have these to share, moma and poppa downy have a very large, very lazy son.

Last edited by Natrushka; 07-19-2007 at 09:23 AM.

Really.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Oh...there are other birders on this site??!!?? Very cool. I've been a birder since I was about 10 - how unfortunate, to be a teenager with such a geeky interest - anyway, if anyone ever wants to chat about birds, I like to think I know a *decent* amount about them (350+ N.A. species so far..).

Here's a photo that makes me smile. Ok, two --
    Last edited by cascadeco; 12-22-2008 at 10:15 AM.

MBTI
    INTJ

Nice photos, cascademn. What part of the world do you live in? I don't recognize either of those birds.

I wish I had my camera with me earlier today. I watched a sharp shinned hawk swoop down into the backyard and chase off a hairy woodpecker. I hope the little peckerhead made it, I'm fond of them.

Circle of life 'n all that stuff.

Really.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Hey -

Thanks! I'm in MN, but took those photos while traveling.

The large bird is a Sandhill Crane, which was on its way south and passing through Jasper Natl Park in the canadian Rockies.

The hummingbird is called a Broad-billed Hummingbird, and I took that photo in southern Arizona.

They're just a couple of my favorite bird photos; my local shots aren't terribly good, and I'm quickly learning that bird photography is really challenging. Because, you know, birds move a lot. One of my 'goals' is to get as many species as possible on film, but unfortunately I'm learning that a 300mm lens just doesn't cut it. I'm gonna have to get a big telefoto at some point.

I love sharp-shinned hawks. I don't see them that often though.

MBTI
    INTJ

Mr. Broadbilled hummingbird is quite the colourful fellow!

Quote Originally Posted by cascademn View Post

I love sharp-shinned hawks. I don't see them that often though.
    We have a lot of them 'round here. I snapped the one below in my backyard last November (bad lighting and grainy). I lived in the 'burbs then - a testament to how abundant they are 'round here.

Photographing birds is challenging, especially when the light is low (as it's been for the last few days here). We had a flock of 100+ juncos in the backyard this morning, I don't know how well the pictures I took will come out, I had to use a horribly low shutterspeed.

This Bittern showed up in our present back yard this May. First time I'd seen one of them, we have more herons than any other shorebirds.

Really.

MBTI
    INTJ

Oh, I love bird watching (but am still learning about what I am looking at...)
    For me and my camera it is like hunting (but bloodless) patience and speed to catch the moment...

This was taken about 60kms from my place, but they also can be found in the riverland park a couple of hundred metres from my place.

Rainbow lorikeets are well named.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Natrushka - awesome pics. What kind of camera and lens to you use?

I'm SO jealous of the bittern shot!!! I can't believe he just walked into your backyard!! Arg...it is one of my nemesis birds.. I have yet to see one...sigh.

CreativeRhino - cute pic! As for learning about what you're looking at, it's just knowledge you slowly build/accumulate over time. You'll get really good at identifying a lot of the more common birds, then you'll increase your scope and learn more about other ones..and if you become really crazy, you might actually take trips just to see rarer birds, or birds that don't live in your area!! Eek!