User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by rivercrow View Post
    Hard to say.

Mom was highly superstitious about hitting birds with cars. I'm not. I've seen too many mockingbirds chase robins into cars and into traffic.

It's pretty common for larger birds of prey to get hit by cars. They eat the carrion on the side of the road and end up taking off/landing right in the path of oncoming traffic.
    We have crows and ravens here, and Damn but they're smart. The crows know which side of the lines to stay on. They walk out of my way in the mornings, they don't hurry and they don't fly. I guess living to be 40 years old they learn something. I wish they'd teach the other birds.

Your blog has become Bird World!

MBTI
    INXP

More on owls: I've heard and seen barreds in our back yard, including a mated pair.

I've heard great horneds in the neighborhood.

We've been getting dead squirrel carcasses in the back yard for a while. No noticeable paint, no up-chucked fur balls--so I don't think it's a great horned, since that would be big enough for squirrels. Hawk? We have hawks around--sharpies, red tails, red shoulders. So....?

There's a big nest-looking thing in one of our trees--I was hoping it was a crow nest (we've had a lot of crows around lately, too).
    I see owls on my late evening runs, sometimes. Nothing quite like jogging in the dusk across the fields, and have a silent, ghostlike, barn owl pass over your head without a sound.

-Geoff

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    I see owls on my late evening runs, sometimes. Nothing quite like jogging in the dusk across the fields, and have a silent, ghostlike, barn owl pass over your head without a sound.

-Geoff
    A former co-worker used to take early morning runs with a friend...until one late winter when a pair of great horned owls decided to attack joggers as potential threats to their nest.

The owls would silently swoop in from behind and snatch the scrunchies/hats off the joggers.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

A former co-worker used to take early morning runs with a friend...until one late winter when a pair of great horned owls decided to attack joggers as potential threats to their nest.

The owls would silently swoop in from behind and snatch the scrunchies/hats off the joggers.
    OMG. I would have to buy new jogging shorts.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    type

Tonight on our walk we paused to listen to wood thrushes. We counted fifteen or more individual birds on our walk.

Then we heard the barred owls, a pair singing. First the lower pitched male, then the high-pitched female, something like this. Hm, I see barred do eat squirrels, so perhaps they've been picking off our squirrel population. Well, we do keep bird feeders on the property.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein

MBTI
    INTJ

What a great place you must live in, crowsie. </jealous>

Since moving out the country I've seen things that I hadn't since I was a child and we had a wooded area behind our home. The childlike delight of watching fireflies defies description.

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

MBTI
    type

After we moved here, I rediscovered the joy of hunting fireflies. Every summer I hunt for glowworms. No luck yet.

The parrots are not sure what to make of the mayo jar of moving lights.

MBTI
    type

Moved from NT Blogs

MBTI
    INTJ

OMG, I have a blog. Which is really serendipitous seeing as I was thinking of something like this...

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

MBTI
    type

Well, you can rename it. It's not in blogland.... Meh.