User Tag List

123 Last

Default Where Should I Move To?

Note: I am not too sure where to post this, and I contemplated about putting it in the advice sub-forum, but since it's about home, I figured why not here. If this is an issue, definitely let me know so that I can talk with a mod about moving it. Thanks. Also, there are bullet points that are blank, I cannot get rid of them, so please ignore them.

My husband and I are planning to move away from Ireland sometime in 2017. We are not too sure if we should go back to the United States, or his home country in the Netherlands. I am going to post a questionnaire, with his answers, and then the same one again but with my own answers. If anyone could also give me new ideas to add to the questionnaire to help narrow down the perfect country for us to move to, I'm all ears. Bold words are the choices we've picked for each section. Thank you so much in advance. Without further ado..

Him:

Me:

MBTI
    intp

Just move somewhere for fun. Couch surf. Get the feel for multiple places. I think you're totally over-analyzing it.
    Likes Nørrsken liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Why do you want to move from Ireland if I may ask? Do you not want to stay in the UK at all?
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    INTJ

What about thailand? Singapore? I've hear amazing things from expats I've worked with who spent some time there.

Edit: I see you're not interested in Asian countires.

There are going to be pros and cons to everything
    Johari | Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I can't think of one country that would meet all those criteria. I'm suggesting New Zealand though. Hot and wet countries tend to be developing countries and don't speak English as their main language.

There's Singapore but part of me feels it's a little crowded.

Quote Originally Posted by lexiphanic View Post
    Just move somewhere for fun. Couch surf. Get the feel for multiple places. I think you're totally over-analyzing it.
    We desire stability.

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    Why do you want to move from Ireland if I may ask? Do you not want to stay in the UK at all?
    We used to live in Belfast for several months together, actually! Ireland and the UK are just way too cold for us to enjoy life in. We want a place that doesn't rain nearly 24 hours a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Codex View Post
    What about thailand? Singapore? I've hear amazing things from expats I've worked with who spent some time there.

Edit: I see you're not interested in Asian countires.

There are going to be pros and cons to everything
    We visited Thailand, liked it, but we wouldn't be happy there. As someone else said, wet and hot countries tend to be developing and not a lot of people can speak English the way we are exposed our whole lives with, but we do enjoy Asian cultures a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke O View Post
    I can't think of one country that would meet all those criteria. I'm suggesting New Zealand though. Hot and wet countries tend to be developing countries and don't speak English as their main language.

There's Singapore but part of me feels it's a little crowded.
    New Zealand sounds pretty cool. Australia intrigues my husband, though the wild life scares the shit out of me. The long legged spiders I'm seeing around these parts in Ireland is enough to give me a panic attack, I think the Australian ones would straight up send me into a coma. ;p

I really think Switzerland is a beautiful country, but it is way too expensive to live there, or so I've heard. What do you think?

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

Where did you guys live when you were in the US? What were some of the reasons you moved away?
    "..But my dreaming self refuses to be consoled."- M.Atwood
    tumblr | instagram

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by theforsaken View Post
    I really think Switzerland is a beautiful country, but it is way too expensive to live there, or so I've heard. What do you think?
    It's ridiculously expensive there. I think Zurich, Geneva and Basel top most lists. What about somewhere like Spain or Portugal? Warmer, cost of living is a little less. Just an idea.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes Nørrsken, Showbread liked this post

Hmmm, Australia and NZ are exciting possibilities @theforsaken

I have heard the more extraordinary insects/creatures of unusual size, are found in the rural areas??

(BTW, Your combined lists only reaffirm my belief you should move to Canada :P)

Because of the cost and energy involved in big moves, I am going to make the assumption that ‘where you land’ will constitute your home for several years.

Soooo, these are the things that came to mind when reading your post. Things to potentially consider, of the top contenders:

-Do you foresee children entering the picture? If so - you could include the local education system or the curriculum requirements for home schooling - in research.

-Do you think you will rent or own? Maybe look into housing rates based on the answer. If you are thinking of buying, I would also research property taxes and the local market. If renting, what are places currently going for? What utilities are commonly included and what is the cost of those that aren’t?

-What does the public transportation consist of? How much is ride or a monthly pass? What do auto insurance/gasoline cost locally?

-If health and security are important to you, it might be good to look into crime rates in neighbourhoods in your price bracket. Also, what IS the health care system and what quality?

-Can you research to see what the job forecasting is - for each of you respectively - in the places you are legit considering?

-What is the standard of living (what is taxed, how much do groceries or clothes cost etc.). Which Government is currently in power? Are the stances pleasing to you (or you can at least live with them) ideologically?

-Maybe you could take some guide books (Lonely Planet, Frommer’s) out of the Library and see what kind of “feel” your top places have. Are there natural parks? What do people do for entertainment? Sometimes I virtually ‘walk around’ places I am curious about globally, on Google Earth.

Given the answers to the above, which places will allow you to have the lifestyle you desire and suit your practical needs?

You mentioned lots of forests and mountains. This is just a short road-trip from my house…innnnnnnn Canada

Okay, okay I know there are actually tons of great spots around the globe you could live.

Am genuinely excited for you and Mr. Fitz, Girly. Hope the research and planning are as rewarding as the actual move.
    Likes Nørrsken, Grand Admiral Crunch, JAVO liked this post

MBTI
    STP

Born Hawaii, parents relocated to get away from alcohol. Dad was an alcoholic, hasnt touched since. Moved to California when i was 3. dad relocated to Texas when i was in fifth grade for job. Been here ever since. Gonna move up north to tennessee, missouri area when my son is 18, maybe 6-8 years. He is free to follow, up to him at that time.

I have never felt like i fit in here in Texas.
    Im out, its been fun