• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Where Should I Move To?

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I will advocate for Texas because I love the place and... if warm, tropical climates are a very big deal for you, Texas DEFINITELY has that. :laugh: It's warm most of the year around... Certainly not as cold as Ireland. I live in Asheville, which has a very stark all 4 seasons.. Summer is merely 3 months, and now it's already fall.. and even "summer" we saw 40 degrees here early into it.

Though, on the other hand, 4 seasons and tropic climates don't go hand in hand.. Though, where I live, if I want far warmer weather, it's a few hours drive away and tada. :yes: Where as at my hometown in Texas, there was no "2 hours and you're someplace significantly different". Texas is a vacuum :3 there's no driving somewhere new quickly.

Plus, Texas has a relatively low cost of living, and Houston rates very high in diversity and Austin is the Southern Asheville. I can only speak for Houston really since that's where I lived for most of my life.. But in terms of things to need? Houston has everything. Decent education surprisingly if you have a bit of foresight into where you want to locate there, a high culturally diverse population, 2 major international airports for visiting friends/family, etc.

On the downside? anywhere Southern will have shit public transportation. A car is THE way to get around. Texas is definitely no exception to this rule, though Houston is pushing for better.. you probably won't see it in your lifetimes.

It IS a lot more... Wild west-y than anywhere in the UK will be, but it is a fun place to be..

Seeing some of the places on Diners Drive-ins and Dives etc makes me want to visit Texas for some reason...

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
My sister lives in tennessee, i dont know the people, but i enjoy the climate, all the trees, etc. I am a nature person at heart and Texas just doesnt really satisfy my nature side. Me and my ex used to vacation in Branson, missouri quite a bit. I enjoyed that drive and that place as well.

We've been (not to Branson) but to other places in MO (Jefferson City, St. Louis, Cape Girardeau)..it just didn't do much for me although the burnt ends in KC are the best I've had, including the ones in Texas. The single exception I would make to Texas is Austin. The best brisket, the most fun people, the best night life of anywhere in the state. I would consider living there too - it's a refreshing oasis in a desert of not refreshing places.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You're all amazing for chiming in. I will have a frank discussion with hubby tonight before I report back with more clarity as to what we want and need. I'll tell you all something else, though: We both do not have driver's licenses. His excuse is because he is Dutch and they can all get around with bicycles. My excuse is that nobody cared enough to really teach me, though I can drive perfectly well, I just can't for obvious legal reasons. I told him that we can go to driving school in America since it's quite cheap there versus the ridiculous prices I've seen in the Netherlands.

Enneagram
9w1
I actually was thinking of moving to Ireland xD or the UK. They sound like friendly life-loving people, the Irish. The British might be more relatable though, moreso than Americans at least, so IDK.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
I'm in Ohio myself, but I think these options sound great. I'm both consciously and unconsciously weighting your desire for natural areas more because that's important to me. :)

Washington and British Columbia would be nice, although I have a vague impression that city life in Seattle may not be for you. Also, you'd get plenty of rain and cool but not cold temperatures in this region. Some parts of Northern California might work too.

Utah and Montana too!

New Zealand sounds awesome for being in nature!

The Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, and maybe Germany sound like good options. (with a little bias toward the Netherlands because my favorite band is from there, so lots of live concerts :laugh:)

Driving in the US should be easy, just make sure that you do so on the right side of the road! :newwink:

Kas

Fabula rasa
I just wanted to say that if you didn't like the weather conditions in UK, Scandinavia isn't a good idea. I know 3 people who worked there and they were very pleased with working conditions, earnings; also they speak very well English there (which would be advantage for you), but it's cold (!); not mentioning polar night and midnight sun at north. If you want warmer weather and sun, I don't think that's what you're looking for.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Based on your criteria, my vote would be Spain or Portugal! Although I'm a little bit biased because I'm 3rd generation Portuguese immigrant. So, clearly there are greta people there. ;) And food. Such amazing food.

My favorite city I ever lived in was San Diego, but it combines expensive with limited employment opportunities. The weather is perfect year round, though.

If I could live anywhere in the world it would be San Diego. We vacationed there quite a bit in the fall when I was a kid. For my fiancé and I there would actually be plenty of employment opportunities (in theory) as we'll both be in education. I don't know if we could make enough to live there, but it's definitely the dream.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
We used to live in Belfast for several months together, actually! Ireland and the UK are just way too cold for us to enjoy life in. We want a place that doesn't rain nearly 24 hours a day.

Well if Ireland and the UK are too cold for you, I wouldn't think you would want to go anywhere north? So Canada and many parts of the U.S. and Europe would be out due to that (I mean much of the midwest is much colder than Ireland; I remember being in Ireland over Christmas one year and thinking it was kind of 'mild', compared to midwest winters!) So looking at an atlas, look at the latitude around the world, and stay south? I mean some coastal areas north will be milder, but you'll still have lots of rain in many of those places. But if it's more about less cold and lots of rain being ok, then some of the northern coastal areas might work. But as [MENTION=18559]Fay[/MENTION] mentioned, lack of sunlight in the winter will be very noticeable.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Darn. I still need to talk to husband first before I give out any more new information.
Thanks for being so helpful and patient~

Permabanned

Permabanned
Based on your criteria, my vote would be Spain or Portugal! Although I'm a little bit biased because I'm 3rd generation Portuguese immigrant. So, clearly there are greta people there. ;) And food. Such amazing food.

If I could live anywhere in the world it would be San Diego. We vacationed there quite a bit in the fall when I was a kid. For my fiancé and I there would actually be plenty of employment opportunities (in theory) as we'll both be in education. I don't know if we could make enough to live there, but it's definitely the dream.

zzv2w5h

Portugal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

evilrubberduckie

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If you guys come to california I will track you down and hunt you. Honestly. There is enough people here. Go away.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Update: We've decided to move back to the United States. Austin, Texas sounds like a stable plan for us. If something bad happens in terms of the immigration status--either mines while I'm here in Ireland, or him with the American visa taking longer than expected--there's a good chance we'll suck it up and live in the Netherlands from where he was brought up. I'm happy either way.

At the risk of sounding a bit offensive, the world just looks too chaotic for us to be playing make believe and think we can just go and live anywhere we want without trouble. It's just not like that anymore. We need to stay close in places and with people that we are familiar with, and that's just how it's going to be. For now. Who knows what the future will bring, but I'm going to embrace today even if I'm the type to always dream and think about what's beyond the horizon.

Thanks everyone. :bye:

Mole

Permabanned
Canberra

Of course you should move to Canberra, the Capital of Australia.

Canberra is existentially beautiful and it is one of the world's most liveable cities.

The beauty will fill your soul, will filter through your eyes deep into your unconscious, and you will be beautiful as well.

And being one of the world's most liveable cities, you will find yourself becoming ineluctably alive.

No doubt you will feel Canberra is more than you deserve, but with a little bit of tact, and a touch of humour, we will keep it from you.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Of course you should move to Canberra, the Capital of Australia.

Canberra is existentially beautiful and it is one of the world's most liveable cities.

The beauty will fill your soul, will filter through your eyes deep into your unconscious, and you will be beautiful as well.

And being one of the world's most liveable cities, you will find yourself becoming ineluctably alive.

No doubt you will feel Canberra is more than you deserve, but with a little bit of tact, and a touch of humour, we will keep it from you.

I Google'd this place and I feel nothing from seeing the photos. Sorry.

Mole

Permabanned
I Google'd this place and I feel nothing from seeing the photos. Sorry.

Images always lie, and those who feel nothing at poetry, are practical, utilitarian, unimaginative, are those who rather do than be, and are boring.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Images always lie, and those who feel nothing at poetry, are practical, utilitarian, unimaginative, are those who rather do than be, and are boring.

Shh, it's ok, just go to sleep.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Update: We've decided to move back to the United States. Austin, Texas sounds like a stable plan for us. If something bad happens in terms of the immigration status--either mines while I'm here in Ireland, or him with the American visa taking longer than expected--there's a good chance we'll suck it up and live in the Netherlands from where he was brought up. I'm happy either way.

At the risk of sounding a bit offensive, the world just looks too chaotic for us to be playing make believe and think we can just go and live anywhere we want without trouble. It's just not like that anymore. We need to stay close in places and with people that we are familiar with, and that's just how it's going to be. For now. Who knows what the future will bring, but I'm going to embrace today even if I'm the type to always dream and think about what's beyond the horizon.

Thanks everyone. :bye:

mmmmmmmmmm...BBQ.