User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

I remember visiting England years ago and leaving most of my belongings behind while staying at a clients flat for close to a month. The freedom of not having tons of shit was sooo nice and I didn't miss anything while I was gone which caused me to realize how much unnecessary crap I used to buy. Unfortunately when you become part of a family of 5 that's no longer the case so I've learned to shove all the things I can't throw away into my closet which twice a year I organize until more shit surfaces and I toss it in. There, now you all know. I'm a hoarder. Spotless home, just don't open the closets.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    INFJ

Yes! Although I don't want my house to burn down, I just want to back a truck up and put 50% of our things into it.

Sometimes I stand in the kitchen and think "I've shopped and paid for everything in this house." That's a lot of things.
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

heart on fire

I might feel the same way, except for my book collection. I am not parting with it. That's just final.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

OMGYES. I've been trying to purge for the last year or so. I have taken load upon load to Goodwill and my mom had a yard sale at which my daughter made eighty bucks, but I never seem to make a dent in it. I don't know what's going on, is my house like some kind of matter replicator or something?

I even got over my fear of giving up books. I was once a book-keeper as well. I realized I was hanging onto books as a talisman for my intellect about which I feel tender and exposed. It was a way to shore myself up. So now I try to keep it down to a dull roar, as it were.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

violaine

I was forced into minimalism due to moving around and moving to different countries. Love not having 'stuff'. I used to be a total packrat growing up, now I think stuff ends up owning you. The last big purge I had on ebay felt so good...

perdu fleur par bologne Martoon's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I hate being burdened with stuff. When I was younger, I could fit everything I owned into my Chevette (and often did). I have a couple bigger things now that would prohibit that (like a recumbent bike), but I still don't think I'm too far off from that.

But yeah, it is tough giving stuff up sometimes. My philosophy, though, is that if I haven't used something anytime in the past year, the likelihood that I'll ever use it is pretty slim.
    I'm not a procrastinator. I'm a long-term planner.