• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why do people always want to adopt male cats?

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have three rescued female cats, and they are all spayed.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I have three rescued female cats, and they are all spayed.

I just got a female kitty who was given away because she had kittens. and instead of getting her spayed they gave her away and kept a male kitten.

I just got her spayed yesterday and she's doing well. you can go through the humane society and get a voucher which is what i did

i just got her records and they paid 25 dollar adoption fee that included a voucher for a spay but they never got it done.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I just got a female kitty who was given away because she had kittens. and instead of getting her spayed they gave her away and kept a male kitten.
I guess for people who have no intention of spaying/neutering their animals, there is less consequence with a male cat? They don't have to see the kittens born? That seems extremely irresponsible and intentionally blind way to approach it, but that's my only guess as to why.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I guess for people who have no intention of spaying/neutering their animals, there is less consequence with a male cat? They don't have to see the kittens born? That seems extremely irresponsible and intentionally blind way to approach it, but that's my only guess as to why.

yeah i edited the post and added more information.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I know, I was just thinking of differences that may lead to choosing males over females.. that's the only one I could come up with.

ah ok, but male cats spray and everything smells awful if you don't get them neutered.

i grew up with a male and female cat and both were fixed

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Our last who died was a male Maine Coone mix but the current one is a female. She's a love bug but whines all night

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
what's the appeal?

Some people say [neutered] male cats are more affectionate as adults than [spayed] females, but, in my experience, it will always depend on a combination of factors. The animal's own genetic predisposition, breed, experiences before adoption, level of contact w/humans & how the owner raises it. Any cat can be affectionate or aloof, really. It's a coin toss, to some extent.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Some people say [neutered] male cats are more affectionate as adults than [spayed] females, but, in my experience, it will always depend on a combination of factors. The animal's own genetic predisposition, breed, experiences before adoption, level of contact w/humans & how the owner raises it. Any cat can be affectionate or aloof, really. It's a coin toss, to some extent.

yeah i thought how social a cat is has to do with combination of genes and their kittenhood.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
yeah i thought how social a cat is has to do with combination of genes and their kittenhood.

One could say the same for people. Makes sense to me.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
One could say the same for people. Makes sense to me.

yep, mine is pretty social she says hi when i get home and sometimes wants to be around me and follows me around the apartment but other times wants nothing to do with me and goes off somewhere by herself. and she gave me a lick on the nose when i picked her up earlier. and she's completely fine with being held.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
yep, mine is pretty social she says hi when i get home and sometimes wants to be around me and follows me around the apartment but other times wants nothing to do with me and goes off somewhere by herself. and she gave me a lick on the nose when i picked her up earlier. and she's completely fine with being held.
Sounds like a well-adjusted kitty. :wubbie:

Cricket goes off to explore the apt by himself but is generally an extrovert of some kind. Super talkative, follows me, watches what I do. Makes little peeps at me when he's bored. Cries if he's alone for too long - but eventually finds a way to entertain himself (if I have to put him in the bedroom, he whines, but eventually beats up his jingle bell ball for awhile).

Apparently black cats and dogs are harder to adopt out. People make odd choices for what animals they adopt. But, at least some are getting adopted.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I didn't actually know male cats were more popular - this is news to me. :shrug:

I got a female cat when she was in the final stages of kittenhood. I actually preferred a female as I wasn't interested in the spraying / marking of territory/ aggression I thought a male would be more likely to have (though I'm not sure if that's actually what one faces with male cats, I just had that notion in my head at the time and it may be inaccurate). I had a job at the time where I was doing property assessments, and one of the houses I went to had kittens they were trying to give away -- so I took one, and the rest is history. :)

I agree with [MENTION=5159]Lexicon[/MENTION] that the personality will be very similar to how we as humans are -- ie combo of genetics and nurture. My cat is super cuddly and has always been a bit of an attention whore.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Sounds like a well-adjusted kitty. :wubbie:

Cricket goes off to explore the apt by himself but is generally an extrovert of some kind. Super talkative, follows me, watches what I do. Makes little peeps at me when he's bored. Cries if he's alone for too long - but eventually finds a way to entertain himself (if I have to put him in the bedroom, he whines, but eventually beats up his jingle bell ball for awhile).

Apparently black cats and dogs are harder to adopt out. People make odd choices for what animals they adopt. But, at least some are getting adopted.

yeah she's not much of a crier only when her food bowl is empty. you know what she does if you don't feed her right when she wants, she chews on electrical cords and rips up paper and cries. I really need to invest in a spray bottle for the electrical cord chewing. also when she hears something outside she wants most of the time she has no interest in going outside or decides she wants a door open she's cried at closet doors. i'll open the door to leave and she'll look up from the couch and not even move.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
If the female cat is not spayed, when she is in heat there will be a billion male cats fighting outside your window -- and this is very loud.