• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why do people always want to adopt male cats?

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
They did a black friday adoption thing in Houston recently where they gave discounts to adopt all black dogs and cats. I thought it was a clever play on words.

... I have no clue about the males except potential litters without spaying right away. Though, to be fair, I had females and they sprayed sometimes as well. -_- super annoying, it was the reason we got females in the first place was to avoid the spraying.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^I don't get why black animals aren't wanted by most people either. Superstition, I guess?
I prefer black cats. They are so sleek and elegant.

I also have two female cats (one is stereotypically aloof and grouchy, and the other the most cuddly, gentle cat ever), and my most beloved cat who died was solid black and female.

Crabs

Permabanned
8e3d2fa53f3d8aaf0210a7acfb670200a384fae1af0a2079143bc604271d8536.jpg

mystik_INFJ

Permabanned
PATRIARCHY!

I think it is because they are lazy people don't want to bother with neutering. If it's a male then they don't have to deal with kitty litters. This is just my opinion.

As for me, I adopted two female british shorthair. Both sterilized and taken cared of during recovery. Took time off to care for them.

That being said, I'm still a Patriarchal Shitlord that treats both genders the same. Shocking concept. I also feed them 100 % of what a male cat would receive but they only want to eat 77 %. They must have internalized meowsoginy. Viva la Patriarçon!

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I asked this question to a vet!

Female cats are more defensive/less trusting than males. Evolutionary instincts because they have to protect their young. That's the answer I got.

So they are more standoffish and more vigilant. I have one female. My mother has a male and female. He's a goofball. He's barely aware of his surroundings (for a cat). The females are much more, "who/what is that small noise?! :shock:"

I think when adoptions take place, the kittehs who are more able to lay on the charm draw attention and since males are less inclined to self-preserve, it exudes a more relaxed kitty. Which is, more adoptable.

I adopted mine because she was so quiet and I wanted a lap cat. I had a male previously but he died of cancer. He was super rambunctious. It's like introvert/extrovert. Males have more extrovert qualities and lady kittys have more introverted tendencies.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Have you typed your cat [MENTION=360]prplchknz[/MENTION]? Mine is an ISTJ with social anxiety disorder. :wink:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Have you typed your cat [MENTION=360]prplchknz[/MENTION]? Mine is an ISTJ with social anxiety disorder. :wink:

i've only had mine a week but defiently an e of some sort, possibly esfp. i dunno

what type would be the kind to chew electrical cords when they want attention or food and it's not feeding time?
and carries small object in their mouth around the apartment?
is sometimes completely interested in an object other times couldn't care less.
doesn't really meow ever only when you're about to feed her or hears something outside and it's usually only one meow
-the exception to this car rides where she meows the whole time, unless return home then she doesn't cry once.
has zero interest in catnip
is affectionate

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Cat Purrsonality - Temperament Types

This Feline Temperament Type Sorter is based on the model developed by Myers-Briggs for people. It is designed to separate cats into 16 possible temperament types based on situational behaviors observed by the respondent. Identifying and understanding an individual cat's temperament ty

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp

CSPQ (Cautious Social Compliant Quiet)
A quiet, easy-going, affectionate companion, the CSPQ cat can often attain beloved status. She can make you feel special. Don't assume that she has been abused, she is just cautious. Unlike her bold counterpart, this cautious cat builds her relationships slowly and is quite particular about whom she showers her affection upon. A skilled observer of body language, she has an uncanny ability for recognizing those individuals in whom she can safely place her trust. She will surprise you by warming up quickly to some people and never becoming comfortable with others. Trust her judgement. When you bring home a date and your CSPQ cat comes out of her safe zone, approaches, and invites attention, this is an individual with whom you may want to consider a long term relationship.

As a kitten the CSPQ cat may escape your notice. Her attractive qualities require the confidence of familiarity to be revealed. Observing the litter in an environment in which they are comfortable will Shelp you to pick out this gem of a cat. A social cat, she tends to do well in a multi cat group as long as her social tendencies are shared by at least one other member of the group.

The CSPQ is not an adventurous cat. She likes her home territory. Face rubbing and bunting are common behaviors. She will probably be most content living in a quiet stable home. She can be a snuggly cat, enjoying physical contact with her familiar companions. She has little yearning for the great outdoors. She may be easily overlooked in a busy household. Inexperienced or casual cat owners may never realize what a wonderful cat shares their home. A quiet, sensitive child may discover her capacity for affection and form a deep and lasting bond. Such a relationship deserves your respect. This is not a "disposable" easily replaced pet.

The CSPQ is not a party animal. Your friends may never get more than a glimpse of her unless they visit often, and one at a time. Even though she is a compliant cat, if startled and she knows there is a safe place to hide she may panic and struggle to escape if you try to hold on to her. The CSPQ cat tends to be well behaved in a veterinary exam room. Though often frightened, she is unsure just what to do. So, as long as she is handled gently, she will not tend to struggle. Being quiet she rarely voices her insecurity.

Affectionate, undemanding, easy to work with what more could you ask for?

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
We have the same kitty except mine is aloof and vocal [MENTION=360]prplchknz[/MENTION]

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
We have the same kitty except mine is aloof and vocal [MENTION=360]prplchknz[/MENTION]

yeah mine is definetly not vocal and cautious but has a bit of curious streak in her so its really funny when you vaccum because at first she runs around so confused and scared then finds a place to hide but peaks her head out periodically.

although i think one of my childhood cats was CAPQ she had a lot of similarities to daisy including their size and coloring but daisy is way more social than she ever was. that's where they're different

daisy does do the sad end of the world meow in the car on the way to the vet which is less than 5 minutes

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=360]prplchknz[/MENTION]

She will surprise you by warming up quickly to some people and never becoming comfortable with others. Trust her judgement. When you bring home a date and your CSPQ cat comes out of her safe zone, approaches, and invites attention, this is an individual with whom you may want to consider a long term relationship.

I get the "kitty never lets strangers pet him/her" I have a feeling you do too.

I think that is the best compliment to hear ever. My boyfriend says I'm good with animals, shit with people :)dry: I don't think I'm *that* bad with people).

It also reminded me of when I got a stray kitten to approach me and let me pet her and it wouldn't let my ENFP friend do so.

She was kind of mad. No joke. I was like, you don't have the magic sorry. :devil:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
[MENTION=360]prplchknz[/MENTION]

I get the "kitty never lets strangers pet him/her" I have a feeling you do too.

I think that is the best compliment to hear ever. My boyfriend says I'm good with animals, shit with people :)dry: I don't think I'm *that* bad with people).

It also reminded me of when I got a stray kitten to approach me and let me pet her and it wouldn't let my ENFP friend do so.

She was kind of mad. No joke. I was like, you don't have the magic sorry. :devil:

nah most people are more fickle than cats but think they're not at least cats know they're fickle and don't pretend not to be.

yeah animals dogs and cats particularly the shy/anxious/quiet ones tend to bond with my really quickly compared to other people.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Nutter is a CSPV (Cautious Social Compliant Vocal).

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Nutter is a CSPV (Cautious Social Compliant Vocal).

I'd forgotten about the kitty MBTI til you posted this! :holy:

(I'd taken one a few yrs back for my late cat, Jack)

Cricket's a BSPV (Bold Social Compliant Vocal).

Cricket fortunately has a huge vocabulary, and his meows vary in texture/tone, so it's never monotonous, here. He is a damned cartoon. An array of peeps, chirps, trills, various meows in length and lilt offer a nearly infinite range of expression. Some even have an upward, quizzical inflection at the end, when he's perplexed. He's not very good at hissing, though. They're incredibly rare, weak, and hilarious. He often looks surprised when it happens.

He's definitely an attention-whore, but I seem to be his special person. He doesn't engage anyone else to play his hunting game around the apartment (though I'm engaging him in the link -he'll lock eyes with me around furniture in the apt & duck down fast, saying let's play! - until I do) and will choose me to sleep on, even when there's more than one human option present. He also follows me everywhere, to help with chores. Yesterday he tried to rescue me from the shower, chattering at me from behind the curtain.

He just emerged from the windowsill, peeped at me, and stomped across my chest, collapsing onto my lap, dissolving into purrs.

I'm guessing his kitty MBTI translates to some kind of ExxP. :thinking:

Jack tested the same, but was far more selective with who he spoke to. Cricket talks to everyone. Even to his toys. Also, Jack slept beside me, paw on my arm, back against me, while Cricket sleeps in my arms like a baby. I assume the type is a spectrum, as one assumes with the human analogue. Both special in their own ways, even if they were both mouthy/bold.