User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Default Camping - tents - reducing humidity?

Ey forum -

So, I really want to go camping with my best friend at some point this summer. Ideally a 6-day trip. Not at some bullshit campground, but somewhere in my area that it's not illegal to camp, is good for hiking, near a CLEAN, swimmable freshwater river (where it's legal to catch/safe to eat the fish), that's not full of humans. Currently researching locations, now. Location won't be the issue, at the end of the day, for me. I'll work that out.

Problem for me is - I have this inflammatory skin condition that's caused me a lot of physical & psychological distress over the years. You wouldn't know it from the pictures I've recently posted on the forum, but it mostly affects my face. I'm actually wearing 3 bandages covering up a flareup in those. They're hydrocolloidal bandages (fucking godsend), so they look/feel like a second skin (iPad camera was also grainy as hell & thus forgiving). But you can tell in-person. You can see the bandages, & the reconstructive surgical scars (I have 8).

Point in bringing it up: This skin condition is something that affects my ability to do fun stuff like camping, as extended exposure to high humidity can be a huge trigger for a flareup, which I would really like to reduce the chances of. I haven't gone camping with a tent in some years. Definitely long before this condition started plaguing me about 5yrs ago. What I remember most about camping in a tent was waking up kind of sticky, even the walls felt damp, each morning. That's kept me FAR from camping since all this started. As it's progressively improving w/various medical treatments (flareups are less frequent, less severe), I guess I'm willing to take more of a risk, this year. At least once. I miss enjoying being outside for more than half a damned day.

Any of you outdoorsy..er.. people have any tips for reducing the humidity in a (fairly cheap, standard/probably from Walmart/Costco) 2-man tent?
    I'm gonna bring some Damprid hanging bags, as they've worked well in closets/the bathroom, here, but I didn't know if anyone who camped more often had any other low-cost ideas for, at the very least, *reducing* the humidity in the tent while I'm sleeping in there at night. Portable fan?

Any suggestions are welcome. I probably won't be doing this til sometime next month, I figure. Still working out locations/planning with the INTP chick. Paying attention to weather stuff. So, there's time if anyone thinks of anything to add, here. Every little bit helps.

Thanks in advance,

-Lex
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.
    Likes Thalassa liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

One of my suggestions is that if the tent is big enough, you sleep on a cot. If not, I suggest lining under your bed, in the form of a kindergarten foam mat (the ones that look like puzzle pieces are fairly cheap and reusable)

0ae6264516fd1b2ccfa63b716d48e9b0.jpg

Tarps are also a cheap way to give extra lining to the ground, as well as providing a canopy for your tent.

Make sure you use the tent fly, obviously, since it doesn't sound like a net would be enough for you.

Sleep in a hoodie. Usually it would get chilly at night anyway, especially by a river, so wear a hooded sweatshirt, with the hood up. Wear fingerless gloves and slipper socks.

I hope this helps.
    Likes JAVO liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Also if you wanted to spend thirty dollars, and it's that critical, this is a dehumidifier:

Eva-Dry's E-500 (EDV-500) Safe Dehumidifier - 17% Off!

Edit: sorry, not solar powered, but it has no batteries or cords, and can be recharged in the camp site bathroom each day by plugging it into an outlet. My bad! I was mislead by "no batteries, no cords." You might find a solar powered one at REI or Adventure 16.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

@Thalassa - thanks for these suggestions. I think we've got an extra tarp kicking around we can put under the tent.. & the tent is the INTP's, so I'll as her if a camping cot would fit (I've never seen it set up). Might have a foam mat thing similar to the kid-thing you described, too. Didn't even think of that, but yeah, getting off the ground makes a lot of sense.

That dehumidifier is tempting - I could use it in the small spaces at the apartment here, too, after (old building/bad ventilation). I didn't know dehumidifiers that small existed. I've got time to order it, too.

I appreciate the quick & constructive response, thanks so much, again.

Even if whatever preparations I make aren't enough to prevent a flareup during/after camping, I think at least trying to be proactive will give me the peace of mind enough to enjoy it/not stress while I'm there.

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

Likes Thalassa liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    @Thalassa - thanks for these suggestions. I think we've got an extra tarp kicking around we can put under the tent.. & the tent is the INTP's, so I'll as her if a camping cot would fit (I've never seen it set up). Might have a foam mat thing similar to the kid-thing you described, too. Didn't even think of that, but yeah, getting off the ground makes a lot of sense.

That dehumidifier is tempting - I could use it in the small spaces at the apartment here, too, after (old building/bad ventilation). I didn't know dehumidifiers that small existed. I've got time to order it, too.

I appreciate the quick & constructive response, thanks so much, again.

Even if whatever preparations I make aren't enough to prevent a flareup during/after camping, I think at least trying to be proactive will give me the peace of mind enough to enjoy it/not stress while I'm there.
    Awesome! I'm glad ordering the dehumidifier is a realistic possibility for you. I I hope you have a great camping experience, it can be so therapeutic to connect with the natural world through tent camping. Be prepared is a great motto, so you can relax and have fun once you've arrived!

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Awesome! I'm glad ordering the dehumidifier is a realistic possibility for you. I I hope you have a great camping experience, it can be so therapeutic to connect with the natural world through tent camping. Be prepared is a great motto, so you can relax and have fun once you've arrived!

The dehumidifer seems like a good investment - the Damprid stuff you have to keep throwing away.

Yeah, the nature thread I saw floating around here in the last week or really solidified it for me (also wanting to go swimming somewhere that isn't the beach - I'd already been researching swimming holes along the rivers upstate; some mentioned camping was allowed). I have a higher preference for the city, but I lived in rural Georgia until I was almost 12, so I was outside a lot, running around the woods, adventuring - & I do miss that simplicity sometimes (your post had some similarities that resonated with me, in this regard). Things kind of, slow down when you're out in the sticks. I think I stopped enjoying it as much when more medical crap kept cropping up, making it harder to work around. But, gotta adapt, or miss out.

With my earthy-hairy-hippie INTP friend pretty much always down to go exploring/surround herself with greenery, I'm optimistic we'll have a really good time being outdoors/unplugged. And I'm super excited, now.

Thanks again!

Likes Thalassa, JAVO liked this post

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Summoning @JAVO
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance
    Likes JAVO, geedoenfj liked this post

This sounds like such an awesome trip!

I don't mean to make it sound worse than it will be, but camping near a river and wanting low humidity are very likely two incompatible goals. You might get low humidity if it's an open area, there's a significant breeze, and a dry air mass moves in. If you can camp a little farther from the river and up even ten feet higher, that would really help, especially at night. I'm just guessing though because it all depends on the overall climate and typical humidity for the area. Even the forest itself will be more humid than an open area.

You'll want as much ventilation and air movement as possible. The best is wind, but most tents block too much wind for humid summer conditions. A fan will help. Synthetic tents with less than about 50% mesh on the wall are like sweathouses in humid areas. Only put the fly on if you absolutely must for privacy or rain. Canvas tents are more breathable, but expensive and heavy. The ideal shelter would be a tarp over a cot as Thalassa suggested, or a fabric camping hammock. You'd want some type of bug netting over either of those unless there will be constant winds over about 10 mph. Pitched well, an 8x10 foot tarp should be enough protection for two people if they sleep fairly close together, or for one person in a hammock. A tarp has definite privacy drawbacks in a campground though. A tarp pitched above a tent inner would be better than using the tent fly. There are also netting tents which can be setup under a tarp to keep bugs out.

In a hammock or cot, an "underquilt" which hugs the bottom provides the best insulation underneath without causing sweaty, sticky sleeping pad yuck. You'll probably be ok without bottom insulation if the temp stays above around 60F at night if you're inside (or on top of) a sleeping bag. An extra or old sleeping pad can be rigged up as an underquilt using bungees, cord, shock cord (lightweight bungee-like cord), maybe even duct tape.

Maybe staying slightly cool will help avoid a flareup? Keep some ice packs in the cooler.
    Likes geedoenfj, cascadeco liked this post

Pick a campsite that is higher than surrounding area with plenty of airflow from all sides, not directly near still bodies of water.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

First off: The free stuff.

Put a shelter OVER your shelter at night to keep the general dew from landing on your tent at all. Be sure to move this when the sun comes out, and open the windows and allow the sun to dry things out.

Lift your sleeping surface off the ground, and use a much bigger tent than the number of people sleeping in it because condensation from your breath overnight will put a lot of moisture in the room.

Cheap thing: set up a small fan both on the outside and inside.. outside to keep the dew off, inside to circulate the air.

I definitely echo the E500 posted fro non-battery stuff, those things are very passive though like the damprids, meaning a high humidity first thing in the morning will not really see much deduction in humidity.. I have 4 of those things and they do a great job of adjusting the humidity in my trunks and tupperwares. But if you're spending bank on damprids anyways, invest in some of these.

What I have from Amazon is a bit pricey, but it's 40 watts so it could be solar powered potentially:
    https://smile.amazon.com/Fortunate-K...i+dehumidifier

It works VERY well, and I have one in my bedroom and have no doubt it'll work in a tent to keep it much more comfortable.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge