User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are Canadians such bad tippers?

MBTI
    ESFJ

Default Why are Canadians such bad tippers?

I never understood that. Is it because servers up there make at least minimum wage?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

insert random title here Array Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I doubt your premise.
    Likes SpankyMcFly liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I doubt your premise.
    x2. My 14-year-old sis can work for 3 hours dishwashing and make $24 in tips plus $8.50/hr wage.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Plumage and Moult Array proteanmix's Avatar
    Enneagram
    1w2

You've angered the Canucks.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

Permabanned Array
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    You've angered the Canucks.
    Ha ha!

I fear angry squirrels more!

American tourists are supposedly the best tippers, so it follows that Canadians would be worse.
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I never understood that. Is it because servers up there make at least minimum wage?
    That's probably part of it. Also, tips are effectively tax free, so to overtaxed Canadian wage earners like moi, a 10% tip is actually worth 15% of my pre-tax wages. So I have to earn $1.50 for every $1.00 I leave in tips, but since those dollars are tax free to the staff collecting them, each one is worth more in actual spending power.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Strange, I usually do 15% or more, that that is just me. Also, American tourists tend to make at least twice what I do so I suppose they have more money to throw around.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by SensEye View Post
    That's probably part of it. Also, tips are effectively tax free, so to overtaxed Canadian wage earners like moi, a 10% tip is actually worth 15% of my pre-tax wages. So I have to earn $1.50 for every $1.00 I leave in tips, but since those dollars are tax free to the staff collecting them, each one is worth more in actual spending power.
    No, they are taxable, so you might want to watch admitting you don't declare the tax on them

Edit : unless you don't mean you are a waiter.. in which case you are just.. wrong? either way

MBTI
    infp

It's very simple, actually. In the U.S., a tip seems to be expected for every service and task. In Canada, it isn't like that. For example, if you go golfing in the U.S., you should tip the guy who helps you get your bags out of your car (even if thats something you cna do on your own), but in Canada it's like "thanks, kid!" and they can just enjoy the 8 bucks an hour or whatever they make. Thats what I notice when I'm in the states, you have to tip for everything, but in Canada it's more just like waiters and stuff like that (and it's 15%).

So I think thats what it is, our culture doesn't have as much tipping and therefor we don't know how to tip to your expert-tipping standards.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast