User Tag List

First 345

MBTI
    infp

It's a semi formal obligation here, I'd say. But it sounds like it's mostly the french who don't tip so much, and their culture is kind of different, so it could be more a reward.

Why do some people in this thread seem unable to grasp a simple concept? If you're visiting a country you should make some attempt at adapting to that culture. There should be no expectation at all that they should adapt to yours, unless you want everyone in that country to think people of your nationality are all a bunch of low-class yokels.
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

WHY
    Sun: ♈️ Moon: ♓️ Ascendant: ♒️
    obviously you're going to get nothing from reading this
    I find that the illusions sometimes are more beneficial to my reality than what I project as 'reality'

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Anything and everything relating to: Why Canadians do XXX behavior can be reduced to two words. It's cold. <--- serious.

i.e. because it's so cold, the avg. Canadian works less hours per year due to inclement weather. This reduced income causes them to be more frugal in their tipping. Voila.

Right @Xann?

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes Xann liked this post

MBTI
    yupp

i feel like americans are better tippers than most of the world because the server wage here is 2.75 where the actual mininum wage is something like 7.75. actually i have a video related to this

*yodelling* AAAaaaaAAaaiiiiiiayyyyyyyy

by @agentwashington
    Likes Xann liked this post

MBTI
    JNTI
    Enneagram
    85X sx

How generous would you be if you're poor and freezing? In all seriousness though, around Bay st. (That's where all the money is made in Canada) I've heard of waiters making over 80k/year, mostly on tips.
    The mind is its own place and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven - John Milton

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Most servers in Canada make minimum wage plus tips. Minimum wage varies by province. However, it's around $11 is per hour. Standard tipping rate is 15 per cent here, 20 if people want to be extra nice. Well at least in prairie and maritime provinces. I'd say in bigger cities, it's maybe five percent higher. Is that cheap? Also, I've generally found its a bit cheaper to eat out in the States.

What is average tipping in the States?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    Most servers in Canada make minimum wage plus tips. Minimum wage varies by province. However, it's around $11 is per hour. Standard tipping rate is 15 per cent here, 20 if people want to be extra nice. Well at least in prairie and maritime provinces. I'd say in bigger cities, it's maybe five percent higher. Is that cheap? Also, I've generally found its a bit cheaper to eat out in the States.

15% is standard. I go by the service, how busy it is, how many people we have at the table and so on. I have no problem generously tipping for very good service at all. It's cheaper in the States vs Canada I agree, but I apply the same rules in either country.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post

20% is average, really bad service 10-15%, great service 30% at least that's what i was taught.
    *yodelling* AAAaaaaAAaaiiiiiiayyyyyyyy

by @agentwashington

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

I think everyone should have a mandatory job in the service industry and the military.

Serving teaches that pleasing people is the hardest job in the world and you will not be rewarded for your efforts by many. You will do your best and still not get tipped or shown appreciation because you may not have met the subjective standard of people who have never deigned to do the job themselves.

By the time you get to the miliary portion of the mandatory service you are fully prepared for the futility that your best efforts will not be fully rewarded.
    ~Live and learn from fools and from sages~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance
    Likes Falcarius liked this post