User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Why are Canadians such bad tippers?

MBTI
    infp

Whats the minimum wage in the U.S.? Cause I think it's a lot higher in Canada, and still rising, which also contributes, but I think someone already said that

MBTI
    infp

Yah, a lot of our tips get pooled to go to every employee, is that the same as the US?

Quote Originally Posted by GZA View Post
    Yah, a lot of our tips get pooled to go to every employee, is that the same as the US?
    I don't think servers pool their tips with each other, but servers are often expected to share a portion of their tips with the host/hostess and the bussers.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Banned Array
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I don't think servers pool their tips with each other, but servers are often expected to share a portion of their tips with the host/hostess and the bussers.
    I've heard it depends on the restaurant.

MBTI
    INXP

Yep, not every place will have a troncmaster. See, the english language has a name for everything

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by GZA View Post
    Whats the minimum wage in the U.S.? Cause I think it's a lot higher in Canada, and still rising, which also contributes, but I think someone already said that
    The federal minimum wage is $6.55 an hour, which is going up to $7.25 an hour next year. Many states set theirs higher than that, though. Waitstaff (along with farmers and some seasonal laborers) are excepted, though, so it usually something like $3.00, if you are in a tip system. Here is how it breaks down for waitstaff by state:

U.S. Department of Labor - Employment Standards Administration (ESA) - Wage & Hour Divisions (WHD) - Minimum Wages for Tipped Employees
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Senior Member Array

Also, Torontians and Vancouverites, depending on Asian influences in each area
    My BIL and step-sister are both in the restaurant industry in Toronto. BIL is a bartender in a sports bar and step-sis is a waitress in an expensive steakhouse and both have no trouble making 20% off the average person. But they are always bitching about the French-Canadians (and some Europeans who only leave a few coins). Haven't heard anything bad about Asians.

MBTI
    xNTJ

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I never understood that. Is it because servers up there make at least minimum wage?
    I know of no bad Canadian tippers, but, yes, here servers do make at least minimum wage.
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

MBTI
    infp

The tips often get pooled together for everyone, including the dish washers and everything. At least in my town!

MBTI
    INTP

Is it because, like the British, they consider tipping a reward for good service rather than a semi-formal obligation?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast