• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why are Canadians such bad tippers?

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
It's a semi formal obligation here, I'd say. But it sounds like it's mostly the french who don't tip so much, and their culture is kind of different, so it could be more a reward.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Why do some people in this thread seem unable to grasp a simple concept? If you're visiting a country you should make some attempt at adapting to that culture. There should be no expectation at all that they should adapt to yours, unless you want everyone in that country to think people of your nationality are all a bunch of low-class yokels.

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Anything and everything relating to: Why Canadians do XXX behavior can be reduced to two words. It's cold. <--- serious.

i.e. because it's so cold, the avg. Canadian works less hours per year due to inclement weather. This reduced income causes them to be more frugal in their tipping. Voila.

Right [MENTION=9627]Xann[/MENTION]?

:popc1:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
i feel like americans are better tippers than most of the world because the server wage here is 2.75 where the actual mininum wage is something like 7.75. actually i have a video related to this

Abendrot

one way trip
MBTI Type
IntJ
Enneagram
85X
Instinctual Variant
sx
How generous would you be if you're poor and freezing?:) In all seriousness though, around Bay st. (That's where all the money is made in Canada) I've heard of waiters making over 80k/year, mostly on tips.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Most servers in Canada make minimum wage plus tips. Minimum wage varies by province. However, it's around $11 is per hour. Standard tipping rate is 15 per cent here, 20 if people want to be extra nice. Well at least in prairie and maritime provinces. I'd say in bigger cities, it's maybe five percent higher. Is that cheap? Also, I've generally found its a bit cheaper to eat out in the States.

What is average tipping in the States?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Most servers in Canada make minimum wage plus tips. Minimum wage varies by province. However, it's around $11 is per hour. Standard tipping rate is 15 per cent here, 20 if people want to be extra nice. Well at least in prairie and maritime provinces. I'd say in bigger cities, it's maybe five percent higher. Is that cheap? Also, I've generally found its a bit cheaper to eat out in the States.

15% is standard. I go by the service, how busy it is, how many people we have at the table and so on. I have no problem generously tipping for very good service at all. It's cheaper in the States vs Canada I agree, but I apply the same rules in either country.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp

20% is average, really bad service 10-15%, great service 30% at least that's what i was taught.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think everyone should have a mandatory job in the service industry and the military.

Serving teaches that pleasing people is the hardest job in the world and you will not be rewarded for your efforts by many. You will do your best and still not get tipped or shown appreciation because you may not have met the subjective standard of people who have never deigned to do the job themselves.

By the time you get to the miliary portion of the mandatory service you are fully prepared for the futility that your best efforts will not be fully rewarded.