breaking out of my cocoon SearchingforPeace's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

Default How to prepare for a collapse

How to Prepare for a Collapse in 9 Steps – a Case Study with David Holmgren - Walden Labs

I put this in this subforum because it is about home. The article above is fascinating and I can't help but think that I envy their lifestyle.

I recommend reading the whole thing, so you can see how someone could "go off the grid" but still be part of the community and thrive, instead of being isolated.

Tl;dr version: 30 years ago, a couple decided to disconnect. They bought 2 acres of land on the edge of town and built a home, planted crops, and trees. They built dams.

In short, they are largely independent of the modem society, providing for their needs themselves, while still in the local community and assisting others to get more independent.

If society ever has a significant collapse, starvation will begin in days, not weeks or months. Grocery stores will be empty in days.

The water supply will be tainted almost immediately, because modern city water systems require pumps operating and if power is out, the water is contaminated in a day or two (happened in my city).

An EMP would fry electronics.

I am not in any way prepared like the folks in the article, but we have enough food to last us a long time.

Plus, their lifestyle is more compatible with the environment. They are working with nature, not against it. And their adverse environmental impact is negligible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archilochus
    The fox knows many things--the hedgehog one big one.
    And I am not a hedgehog......

-------------------

Jesus said "Blessed are the peacemakers" not "blessed are the conflict avoiders.....

9w8 6w5 4w5 sx/so

----------------------

“Orthodoxy means not thinking--not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

I'd get out before it got too hot. If such a post-apocalyptic dystopian future ever materialized I'd recommend having a storage full of non perishables. Make sure you're also armed because your gun could actually be your lifeline in a much more significant way.

Senior Member RedAmazoneFriendZone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

That's exactly the very precise question the french team should work on before playing for euro2016 tonight
    ALL THAT WE SEE OR SEEM TO BE IS BUT A DREAM WITHIN A DREAM

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

Quote Originally Posted by RedAmazoneFriendZone View Post
    That's exactly the very precise question the french team should work on before playing for euro2016 tonight
    {Insert surrendering French joke here}

-------------------

Jesus said "Blessed are the peacemakers" not "blessed are the conflict avoiders.....

9w8 6w5 4w5 sx/so

----------------------

“Orthodoxy means not thinking--not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984
    Likes SpankyMcFly liked this post

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by SearchingforPeace View Post
    {Insert surrendering French joke here}
    If the team wins, I will Anyway I'm on the UK side, in brief I'm a real traitor.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

If the team wins, I will Anyway I'm on the UK side, in brief I'm a real traitor.
    My long deceased English royal ancestors did own half of France, so you referencing earlier connections....

My French friend in college did have a huge selection of French surrendering jokes.

-------------------

9w8 6w5 4w5 sx/so

----------------------

― George Orwell, 1984

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Anaximander View Post
    When Hurricane Isabel hit my city, the water supply was fucked for 2 weeks. In a major collapse, we won't have the luxury of fresh bottles being trucked into cities.
    Go through a single natural disaster in an urban or even suburban area and it will change your mind on preparedness pretty quick. While I believe in preparedness and being responsible for yourself and not relying on the government or anyone else, much of the way info is presented is part of the problem.

LDS members prepare as part of their religion and community - there is excellent info out there on the topic. They are the most reasonable, common sense methods I have seen so far. On the other end of the spectrum are the preppers, they just come off as way crazy to a lot of people, especially new people. They have great info to share but sadly, less people will hear it, especially when they don't share political views. There really is nothing political about being prepared. Hurricanes and tornadoes don't give a fuck.

The main issue I have with prepping is there are people going out and buying $20k worth of stuff with no clue how to use it. I'm talking basics like how to start a fire or how to shut gas and water off to your house to how to sharpen a knife, fish for food or use a gun. All of the preparing in the world is pointless if you don't know how to use it. This is what people who want to prep should be doing first. Before they buy a single can of Spam and case of water at Walmart.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    Go through a single natural disaster in an urban or even suburban area and it will change your mind on preparedness pretty quick. While I believe in preparedness and being responsible for yourself and not relying on the government or anyone else, much of the way info is presented is part of the problem.

LDS members prepare as part of their religion and community - there is excellent info out there on the topic. They are the most reasonable, common sense methods I have seen so far. On the other end of the spectrum are the preppers, they just come off as way crazy to a lot of people, especially new people. They have great info to share but sadly, less people will hear it, especially when they don't share political views. There really is nothing political about being prepared. Hurricanes and tornadoes don't give a fuck.

The main issue I have with prepping is there are people going out and buying $20k worth of stuff with no clue how to use it. I'm talking basics like how to start a fire or how to shut gas and water off to your house to how to sharpen a knife, fish for food or use a gun. All of the preparing in the world is pointless if you don't know how to use it. This is what people who want to prep should be doing first. Before they buy a single can of Spam and case of water at Walmart.
    Excellent points.

It isn't about buying some guns and a bunch of junk. It is about changing a lifestyle.

Rather than pursue the latest things, instead jump off the consumer/debt path and free oneself to live.

Could basic survival skills be necessary? Likely, so learn them now while the internet still works.

Could firearms and self defense training be necessary? Then do it. Dedicate time to personal fitness and a training regime.

Could having land and your own well and a large garden help survive? Plan ahead.

The government will not be able to take care of you in the short term with even a modest disaster. Plan so you can take care of yourself.

Our economy is based upon a massive house of cards. The Great Recession could soon look like a tiny blip compared to how things could go.

Sure, it may never happen. But the more self reliant one can become, the more peace one can have.

I hope to move further on this path. If things go wrong and I am not ready, it will be my fault....

-------------------

9w8 6w5 4w5 sx/so

----------------------

― George Orwell, 1984

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by SearchingforPeace View Post
    My long deceased English royal ancestors did own half of France, so you referencing earlier connections....

My French friend in college did have a huge selection of French surrendering jokes.

What is a soccer player used to ask to his hairdresser ?

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

What is a soccer player used to ask to his hairdresser ?
    Lay it down gently?

-------------------

9w8 6w5 4w5 sx/so

----------------------

― George Orwell, 1984