User Tag List

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Default Slow Cookers vs Pressure Cookers

I've been thinking of getting either an electric slow cooker or an electric pressure cooker so I can make braised short ribs, chilis, stews and occasionally beans. I'm looking for reliability, ease of use, and flavor. What's everyone's experience with these types of devices?

From what I've read so far, both seem to have plenty of support in terms of cookbooks and recipes online. The pressure cookers seem to have slightly higher reviews on Amazon but on reading the reviews, it seems that slow cookers are more durable.

If you want to share your slow cooker or pressure cooker recipe, you may do so as well.
    Liberty means the ability to say "No thanks, perhaps later. I'm gonna go take a nap now."

MBTI
    yupp

I have an insta pot and i love it, its both a pressure cooker and a slow cooker in one, though the pressure cooker only goes up to 11.6 psi and traditional stove tops tend to go to 15psi. It saves room, if i didn't have this i'd have both a slow cooker and pressure cooker seperate.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so
    Likes Tellenbach liked this post

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz
    I have an insta pot and i love it, its both a pressure cooker and a slow cooker in one
    Does the insta pot, when it's in slow cooker mode, have manual temperature settings? or 2 or 3 automatic settings (warm, low, high)?
    Liberty means the ability to say "No thanks, perhaps later. I'm gonna go take a nap now."

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    Does the insta pot, when it's in slow cooker mode, have manual temperature settings? or 2 or 3 automatic settings (warm, low, high)?
    i believe low medium and high. which on it are listed as low normal and high.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    Low/med and high. I got one for Christmas (with Bluetooth) and I love it. I will tell you one thing if you decide to get a slow cooker - the new one all run hot. I have a 30 year old Crock Pot brand, I'll keep it until it dies, try to find an old one at a garage sale or something. I would suggest getting a slow cooker vs the pressure cooker first and see how you like the food (and it's cheaper). Another option is a Nesco cooker. This also slow cooks, as well as several other functions and it comes in different sizes.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.