• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Slow Cookers vs Pressure Cookers

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
I've been thinking of getting either an electric slow cooker or an electric pressure cooker so I can make braised short ribs, chilis, stews and occasionally beans. I'm looking for reliability, ease of use, and flavor. What's everyone's experience with these types of devices?

From what I've read so far, both seem to have plenty of support in terms of cookbooks and recipes online. The pressure cookers seem to have slightly higher reviews on Amazon but on reading the reviews, it seems that slow cookers are more durable.

If you want to share your slow cooker or pressure cooker recipe, you may do so as well.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I have an insta pot and i love it, its both a pressure cooker and a slow cooker in one, though the pressure cooker only goes up to 11.6 psi and traditional stove tops tend to go to 15psi. It saves room, if i didn't have this i'd have both a slow cooker and pressure cooker seperate.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
prplchknz said:
I have an insta pot and i love it, its both a pressure cooker and a slow cooker in one

Does the insta pot, when it's in slow cooker mode, have manual temperature settings? or 2 or 3 automatic settings (warm, low, high)?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Does the insta pot, when it's in slow cooker mode, have manual temperature settings? or 2 or 3 automatic settings (warm, low, high)?

i believe low medium and high. which on it are listed as low normal and high.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

Low/med and high. I got one for Christmas (with Bluetooth) and I love it. I will tell you one thing if you decide to get a slow cooker - the new one all run hot. I have a 30 year old Crock Pot brand, I'll keep it until it dies, try to find an old one at a garage sale or something. I would suggest getting a slow cooker vs the pressure cooker first and see how you like the food (and it's cheaper). Another option is a Nesco cooker. This also slow cooks, as well as several other functions and it comes in different sizes.