User Tag List

Talking Sugar-free recipe for cake anyone?

I recently bought a bag of SPLENDA No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated...

I tried making an existing recipe of Homemade Baked Apple Pie with it and simply substituted it for sugar, but of course it didn't come out quite right. Wasn't too bad though. A little tweaking would've helped.

Does anyone have any kick-ass sugar-free cake recipes? My s.o. has Type 1 Diabetes and I'm a decent cook, but have virtually no experience with baking sugar-free desserts. Any help at all would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance!
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Splenda I found is much different from regular sugar. You can substitute it for anything sugar needs, but the measurements have to vary. My grandma when she lived with us for 8 years was diabetic, so we were always making sugar-free things which taste none-too-pleasent. We got excited when splenda came out, tried to make lemonade with it for her, and it wasnt until after I served it that I tried it and realized it was so sweet it twisted my tongue around. It was a real waste, rubbing all the lemons down to juice and all for the batch. We really didn't use it again after that..

...I'm sure any website online that's specifically geared toward splenda would ensure it came out correct though.

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Splenda I found is much different from regular sugar. You can substitute it for anything sugar needs, but the measurements have to vary. My grandma when she lived with us for 8 years was diabetic, so we were always making sugar-free things which taste none-too-pleasent. We got excited when splenda came out, tried to make lemonade with it for her, and it wasnt until after I served it that I tried it and realized it was so sweet it twisted my tongue around. It was a real waste, rubbing all the lemons down to juice and all for the batch. We really didn't use it again after that..

...I'm sure any website online that's specifically geared toward splenda would ensure it came out correct though.
    There are instructions directly on the bag that I followed. I also went to their website, but the recipes I found on there seemed a bit fancy when I only want to make something simple.

Hence, this thread...
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

1 ¼ cups flour
    ½ cup granulated Splenda
    ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa
    1 ½ tsp baking powder
    ½tsp baking soda
    ½tsp cinnamon
    ¼ tsp salt
    ½ cup melted margarine
    2 eggs, beaten
    2 tsp vanilla extract
    1 cup peeled, grated apple
    ¼ cup chopped pecans
    vegetable cooking spray

Preheat oven to 325 F. Spray a 9 inch baking pan with vegetable spray.

Sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.

In separate bowl, cream together the Splenda margarine, eggs and vanilla. To ensure maximum lightness, beat longer than you would if sugar were used. Stir in apple and pecans.

Spoon batter into baking pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick in center comes out clean. Note that this recipe Splenda will cook slightly faster than a similar recipe using sugar.

Cut into 2 inch squares and enjoy recipe Splenda.

That seems to be as simple as the recipes are coming to me.. I do know that they also make the box-cakes from the doughboy with splenda instead of sugar so it's already pre-measured.. I'm not positive on how they taste personally, but seems to be an easy way of making cake. Nothing's easier than box-food.

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    1 ¼ cups flour
    ½ cup granulated Splenda
    ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa
    1 ½ tsp baking powder
    ½tsp baking soda
    ½tsp cinnamon
    ¼ tsp salt
    ½ cup melted margarine
    2 eggs, beaten
    2 tsp vanilla extract
    1 cup peeled, grated apple
    ¼ cup chopped pecans
    vegetable cooking spray

Preheat oven to 325 F. Spray a 9 inch baking pan with vegetable spray.

Sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.

In separate bowl, cream together the Splenda margarine, eggs and vanilla. To ensure maximum lightness, beat longer than you would if sugar were used. Stir in apple and pecans.

Spoon batter into baking pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick in center comes out clean. Note that this recipe Splenda will cook slightly faster than a similar recipe using sugar.

Cut into 2 inch squares and enjoy recipe Splenda.

That seems to be as simple as the recipes are coming to me.. I do know that they also make the box-cakes from the doughboy with splenda instead of sugar so it's already pre-measured.. I'm not positive on how they taste personally, but seems to be an easy way of making cake. Nothing's easier than box-food.
    I will try it and report back!

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

My advice, ditch the Splenda and use Stevia. It's healthier and no nasty chemicals.

Stevia recipes.
    Time is a delicate mistress.