• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do you live?

T

ThatGirl

How do you keep your dwelling unit?

Decorations orginization whatever.

I have been told my place looks like a bachlor pad.

Very clean and very minimal. few home like decorations.

Is there a correlation between temperment and home style?

miked277

MBTI Type
INTP

yeah, i suppose type does come in to play in determining the style of one's home.

as far as my own living space, spartan works well. i never felt a huge need to put up posters or pictures on my walls or other superfluous decorations like that. the flow of the room is what matters most. as long as the 3 key areas (desk, bed and tv) are positioned well i'm fine with it. subtle splashes of decorating finess are always welcome of course, though if they do happen it's usually not my doing.

my roommate, an esfj female, has gone way beyond anything i would have done in terms of fixing the place up, installing shelves, caulking stuff, painting stuff, decorating, buying furniture, etc. i like what she does, it makes the place feel like an actual home but i would never have the drive to do it.

as far as cleanliness, i'm actually a little more uptight about it. if i make a mess i make the effort to clean it up and expect others to do similarly. often times with my roommate, she'll make a mess, leave it for a few days/weeks then one weekend she'll try and clean *everything*.

so yeah, that's my situation.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Eclectic, of course.

We live in an Old Victorian lady who has high maintenance needs.

Antiques, various interesting pieces of junque, leather chairs, lotsa handmade stuff. Plants, cats (real and otherwise,) pillows, throws. Lotsa color. Walnut woodwork. Many outdoor things indoors. Rocks, stones, minerals, plants, dried flowers, caribou horns, dried cacti. Wood nymphs, chinoiserie, pictures, pictures, pictures of people I love and who love me, kid's drawings and paintings, mirrors, pottery, Hardanger embroidery, piano, music everywhere, lots of lights. Books.

The cats help by bringing in various living and dead creatures. Tonight I laid to rest a headless baby bunny which had reposed under the dining room table for a day. One brings me much more interesting gifts of dried leaves, pine cones, the neighbors' gardening gloves. She sees that I like that kinda stuff.

Back yard has a pond with fish and often deer, raccoons, a blue heron, possum. chipmunks and squirrels. Lots of flowers. Wood pile. And husband has a garage with more square feet than our house has. He pretty much lives there.

Then just a bunch of stuff piled around that's waiting for me to finish, wall-hangings, carved wooden cane, drapes. Paint, wallpaper. Things I'll get to "someday."

T

ThatGirl

Eclectic, of course.

We live in an Old Victorian lady who has high maintenance needs.

Antiques, various interesting pieces of junque, leather chairs, lotsa handmade stuff. Plants, cats (real and otherwise,) pillows, throws. Lotsa color. Walnut woodwork. Many outdoor things indoors. Rocks, stones, minerals, plants, dried flowers, caribou horns, dried cacti. Wood nymphs, chinoiserie, pictures, pictures, pictures of people I love and who love me, kid's drawings and paintings, mirrors, pottery, Hardanger embroidery, piano, music everywhere, lots of lights. Books.

The cats help by bringing in various living and dead creatures. Tonight I laid to rest a headless baby bunny which had reposed under the dining room table for a day. One brings me much more interesting gifts of dried leaves, pine cones, the neighbors' gardening gloves. She sees that I like that kinda stuff.

Back yard has a pond with fish and often deer, raccoons, a blue heron, possum. chipmunks and squirrels. Lots of flowers. Wood pile. And husband has a garage with more square feet than our house has. He pretty much lives there.

Then just a bunch of stuff piled around that's waiting for me to finish, wall-hangings, carved wooden cane, drapes. Paint, wallpaper. Things I'll get to "someday."

Wow I am picturing snow white meets gone with the wind. Did you decorate that way?

What is the one unecessary item that makes a home am home?

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
We're pretty slobby at my house and not really into decorating. Every year or two, I'll get a wild hair and try to prettify a room, but often the results are bad enough to keep me from trying it again for awhile. I like the idea of something somewhat more spartan, but we have too many people and it takes too much effort to keep getting rid of all the crap that seems to sneak into the house.

Our organization level is about the minimum it takes to get my husband to work and the kids to school fed, bathed, and in clean clothes. I would like things to be tidy and organized, but not enough to spend every waking minute messing around with it, which would be about what it would take. I prefer to fit those things around doing things I enjoy. Life's too short to spend all your time worrying about that stuff, IMO.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
My house "just happened," ThatGirl.

I think I need things that have meaning around me and nearly everything has some significance - a gift from someone, something one of us made, a souvenir from a trip, a reminder of something we value.

The one nonessential that makes it "home?" The way it smells.

Now I'm laughing out loud. Not of dead bunnies or cat thit. But, I suppose that too. It just smells like us!

Do you suppose that's the detritus of sloughing skin cells?

Anonymous

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Well, I live with my parents, so I'll describe my room. My walls are pretty bare, and I have no decorations at all. I stuff most of my extraneous junk in my closet to keep my floor at least reasonably clear. But I'm still rather messy.

T

ThatGirl

We're pretty slobby at my house and not really into decorating. Every year or two, I'll get a wild hair and try to prettify a room, but often the results are bad enough to keep me from trying it again for awhile. I like the idea of something somewhat more spartan, but we have too many people and it takes too much effort to keep getting rid of all the crap that seems to sneak into the house.

Our organization level is about the minimum it takes to get my husband to work and the kids to school fed, bathed, and in clean clothes. I would like things to be tidy and organized, but not enough to spend every waking minute messing around with it, which would be about what it would take. I prefer to fit those things around doing things I enjoy. Life's too short to spend all your time worrying about that stuff, IMO.

Yeah I think I am a lot like mikey, good post by the way.

I once tried to decorate though and I got a lot of weird looks when people saw it. I also hate to clean and organize but I cant live with clutter. As a result, I have three dishes, five outfits that can be intermixed for numorous combinations, if I havent used it in six months it gets tossed. No junk drawers, if it is junk toss it if it is stuff it needs a place. lots of empty cupboards and no pictures.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Think to IT professionals in a two bedroom apartment where the floors are still visible and there are usually clean dishes. We don't get maid service.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
well, it's a small social housing appartment, but it's full of antiques and generally very classy furniture that came from my dad's house when he died, and like big solid oak cabinets and Persian rugs, stuff that I "inherited" from the odd church clearout here and there, which I otherwise wouldn't have ever been able to afford. Lots of shelves with lots of books, most of which I've actually read. People are always surprised when they come in for the first time, how much the interior contradicts the exterior.

But I have no idea where anything is, except in the kitchen. Cupboards and sideboards and chests galore full of stuff but I've no idea what any of it is. Usually takes me half an hour to find an envelope. But the kitchen is like a craftsman's workshop - everything has its place, though that place is hanging from a nail banged into the side of a cabinet, or rammed into a drawer where it'll fit; I know where everything is and it's top quality stuff kept in as good condition as possible considering its heavy use. But no bullshit labour saving crap like dishwashers, tumble dryers, food processors and that sorta stuff. Nope. If it can't be done old skool, I don't do it.

I'm a serious cook, but paperwork can kiss my butt.

But I haven't got a bedroom or a bed. If one of my kids is at a sleepover I get to sleep in a bed. Otherwise, I've been on the sofa for about 4 years. And really not that bothered about it at all.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
*offers Sub one of her several futons*

I live in a one bedroom apartment with too small of a kitchen for my purposes, but a wonderful view and patio. The place is generally rather clean, and I have a mix of framed album covers and pictures that I've taken hanging on the walls. Really, the most clutter here is the fact that I tend to leave glasses and mugs sitting all around because I forget where I put them. Overall, I find the place quite pleasant :)

** note on Gray's note- I've moved since that thread ;) **

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
"to ITs" :doh:

(I was thinking something like "Institutional Technologists!)

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
How do you keep your dwelling unit?

Decorations orginization whatever.

I have been told my place looks like a bachlor pad.

Very clean and very minimal. few home like decorations.

We could probably trade places and barely notice a difference.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
runvardh, what's an IT?

"to ITs" :doh:

(I was thinking something like "Institutional Technologists!)

Information Technology - computers and the communication between them and other electronic devices. I work as a First Level Service Desk rep for a company that sells water.