User Tag List

123 Last

ThatGirl

Default How do you live?

How do you keep your dwelling unit?

Decorations orginization whatever.

I have been told my place looks like a bachlor pad.

Very clean and very minimal. few home like decorations.

Is there a correlation between temperment and home style?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Is there a correlation between temperment and home style?
    yeah, i suppose type does come in to play in determining the style of one's home.

as far as my own living space, spartan works well. i never felt a huge need to put up posters or pictures on my walls or other superfluous decorations like that. the flow of the room is what matters most. as long as the 3 key areas (desk, bed and tv) are positioned well i'm fine with it. subtle splashes of decorating finess are always welcome of course, though if they do happen it's usually not my doing.

my roommate, an esfj female, has gone way beyond anything i would have done in terms of fixing the place up, installing shelves, caulking stuff, painting stuff, decorating, buying furniture, etc. i like what she does, it makes the place feel like an actual home but i would never have the drive to do it.

as far as cleanliness, i'm actually a little more uptight about it. if i make a mess i make the effort to clean it up and expect others to do similarly. often times with my roommate, she'll make a mess, leave it for a few days/weeks then one weekend she'll try and clean *everything*.

so yeah, that's my situation.
    I'm feeling rough, I'm feeling raw, I'm in the prime of my life.

MBTI
    INFP

Eclectic, of course.

We live in an Old Victorian lady who has high maintenance needs.

Antiques, various interesting pieces of junque, leather chairs, lotsa handmade stuff. Plants, cats (real and otherwise,) pillows, throws. Lotsa color. Walnut woodwork. Many outdoor things indoors. Rocks, stones, minerals, plants, dried flowers, caribou horns, dried cacti. Wood nymphs, chinoiserie, pictures, pictures, pictures of people I love and who love me, kid's drawings and paintings, mirrors, pottery, Hardanger embroidery, piano, music everywhere, lots of lights. Books.

The cats help by bringing in various living and dead creatures. Tonight I laid to rest a headless baby bunny which had reposed under the dining room table for a day. One brings me much more interesting gifts of dried leaves, pine cones, the neighbors' gardening gloves. She sees that I like that kinda stuff.

Back yard has a pond with fish and often deer, raccoons, a blue heron, possum. chipmunks and squirrels. Lots of flowers. Wood pile. And husband has a garage with more square feet than our house has. He pretty much lives there.

Then just a bunch of stuff piled around that's waiting for me to finish, wall-hangings, carved wooden cane, drapes. Paint, wallpaper. Things I'll get to "someday."
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

ThatGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    Eclectic, of course.

I have never met anyone who lived in an old victorian lady

MBTI
    INFP

"No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

ThatGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    Eclectic, of course.

Antiques, various interesting pieces of junque, leather chairs, lotsa handmade stuff. Plants, cats (real and otherwise,) pillows, throws. Lotsa color. Walnut woodwork. Many outdoor things indoors. Rocks, stones, minerals, plants, dried flowers, caribou horns, dried cacti. Wood nymphs, chinoiserie, pictures, pictures, pictures of people I love and who love me, kid's drawings and paintings, mirrors, pottery, Hardanger embroidery, piano, music everywhere, lots of lights. Books.

The cats help by bringing in various living and dead creatures. Tonight I laid to rest a headless baby bunny which had reposed under the dining room table for a day. One brings me much more interesting gifts of dried leaves, pine cones, the neighbors' gardening gloves. She sees that I like that kinda stuff.

Back yard has a pond with fish and often deer, raccoons, a blue heron, possum. chipmunks and squirrels. Lots of flowers. Wood pile. And husband has a garage with more square feet than our house has. He pretty much lives there.

Then just a bunch of stuff piled around that's waiting for me to finish, wall-hangings, carved wooden cane, drapes. Paint, wallpaper. Things I'll get to "someday."
    Wow I am picturing snow white meets gone with the wind. Did you decorate that way?

What is the one unecessary item that makes a home am home?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

We're pretty slobby at my house and not really into decorating. Every year or two, I'll get a wild hair and try to prettify a room, but often the results are bad enough to keep me from trying it again for awhile. I like the idea of something somewhat more spartan, but we have too many people and it takes too much effort to keep getting rid of all the crap that seems to sneak into the house.

Our organization level is about the minimum it takes to get my husband to work and the kids to school fed, bathed, and in clean clothes. I would like things to be tidy and organized, but not enough to spend every waking minute messing around with it, which would be about what it would take. I prefer to fit those things around doing things I enjoy. Life's too short to spend all your time worrying about that stuff, IMO.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFP

My house "just happened," ThatGirl.

I think I need things that have meaning around me and nearly everything has some significance - a gift from someone, something one of us made, a souvenir from a trip, a reminder of something we value.

The one nonessential that makes it "home?" The way it smells.

Now I'm laughing out loud. Not of dead bunnies or cat thit. But, I suppose that too. It just smells like us!

Do you suppose that's the detritus of sloughing skin cells?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Well, I live with my parents, so I'll describe my room. My walls are pretty bare, and I have no decorations at all. I stuff most of my extraneous junk in my closet to keep my floor at least reasonably clear. But I'm still rather messy.

ThatGirl

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    We're pretty slobby at my house and not really into decorating. Every year or two, I'll get a wild hair and try to prettify a room, but often the results are bad enough to keep me from trying it again for awhile. I like the idea of something somewhat more spartan, but we have too many people and it takes too much effort to keep getting rid of all the crap that seems to sneak into the house.

Our organization level is about the minimum it takes to get my husband to work and the kids to school fed, bathed, and in clean clothes. I would like things to be tidy and organized, but not enough to spend every waking minute messing around with it, which would be about what it would take. I prefer to fit those things around doing things I enjoy. Life's too short to spend all your time worrying about that stuff, IMO.
    Yeah I think I am a lot like mikey, good post by the way.

I once tried to decorate though and I got a lot of weird looks when people saw it. I also hate to clean and organize but I cant live with clutter. As a result, I have three dishes, five outfits that can be intermixed for numorous combinations, if I havent used it in six months it gets tossed. No junk drawers, if it is junk toss it if it is stuff it needs a place. lots of empty cupboards and no pictures.