User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Hammock Camping

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Default Hammock Camping

So, I'm planning on attempting to live out of my backpack while in Japan if at all possible. We were thinking we'd try hammock camping before then, and see if it is an option for us out there.

Has anyone done this/been doing this? I was thinking maybe some warm base layers + a light compact sleeping bag would be sufficient for my hammock (it's screened in against bugs) but maybe y'all have some suggestions?
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge
    Likes jcloudz, Wind Up Rex, JAVO, Thalassa, Nørrsken liked this post

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

Adventure girl kyuuei vs wild! That sounds fun. Im a wimpy guy who hates misquitos, so nothing offer here. Sorry
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee
    Likes kyuuei liked this post

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

So what I have is a basic hammock set up with a mosquito net attached to it. Something like this:

+ a shelter tarp like this:

I was thinking about something like this...

Amazon.com : #1 Backpacking Sleeping Bag By Bear Butt *START UP COMPANY "Kicking Coleman Out Of Sleeping Bags Since 2016"-Backed By A Money Back Promise For Ultralight Hiking, Lightweight Camping, Travel & Leisure : Sports & Outdoors
    or this Amazon.com : Bundle Monster Cool Weather Camping Sleeping Bag for 3 Seasons (Spring, Summer, Fall) - Blue - Adults : Compact Sleeping Bag : Sports & Outdoors

...which could be useful as a blanket during long flights and guest stays as well while fitting into a backpack.

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge
    Likes Dyslexxie, Rune, JAVO, Nørrsken liked this post

HAMMOCK CAMPING. I'm too much of a queen to do camping but in a hammock? Amazing! I'd even be swayed to try.

A friend have one of these bear butt sleeping bags and is very happy of it. And I would love so much to have one this size myself…

The question what time of year do you plan to use it now and in the future (I suppose these are summer plans?) >41degrees these are meant for summer sleeping bags >32 like this second you posted are meant to late spring and early autumn as well. Best is to check what temperatures are in region this particular time. I think that these season 2 for temperature above above 32 degrees are most universal. Though for summer this first one would be enough and it's light and small.

Finally I know nothing about hammocks, but that sounds like great trip
    “The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes." A.C. Doyle

The No Likes Experiment.

Likes JAVO liked this post

I tried this in my timeoff when I worked in AK and it's a pretty solid, lightweight way of tent-camping while on the go. My advise would be to ditch the mosquito net and drop a little extra for a full hammock tent. My reasons for this are a) all the moths and mosquitoes will still (annoyingly) cluster at the inside roof of the rain tarp, but you can zip yourself into the hammock tent; b) ventilation is nice, but the option of zipping out evening and morning dew is a godsend; and c) it's much faster to dry and pack up as one piece. REI and Moosejaw have some good options. Minor quibbles were all the slugs that needed to be flicked off the tarp every morning and climbing into boots was a hassle. Otherwise, really fun experience and super comfortable sleeping!

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Kas View Post
    A friend have one of these bear butt sleeping bags and is very happy of it. And I would love so much to have one this size myself…

The question what time of year do you plan to use it now and in the future (I suppose these are summer plans?) >41degrees these are meant for summer sleeping bags >32 like this second you posted are meant to late spring and early autumn as well. Best is to check what temperatures are in region this particular time. I think that these season 2 for temperature above above 32 degrees are most universal. Though for summer this first one would be enough and it's light and small.

Finally I know nothing about hammocks, but that sounds like great trip
    Thanks, we're gonna figure it out along the way Next month is definitely going to be pre-Japan experimentation, even if it is just sleeping outside with our gear in our own yard haha.

Yeah I'm from Texas originally, and things can never be warm enough for me.. We're going in May to Japan, so I expect some 45-75 degree weather for the most part. I'm thinking a slightly warmer sleeping bag will suit me well, and I have some base layers I'll be bringing in case I do get cold to wear. I also have a heated hoodie if I wake up chilled.

Quote Originally Posted by amanki View Post
    I tried this in my timeoff when I worked in AK and it's a pretty solid, lightweight way of tent-camping while on the go. My advise would be to ditch the mosquito net and drop a little extra for a full hammock tent. My reasons for this are a) all the moths and mosquitoes will still (annoyingly) cluster at the inside roof of the rain tarp, but you can zip yourself into the hammock tent; b) ventilation is nice, but the option of zipping out evening and morning dew is a godsend; and c) it's much faster to dry and pack up as one piece. REI and Moosejaw have some good options. Minor quibbles were all the slugs that needed to be flicked off the tarp every morning and climbing into boots was a hassle. Otherwise, really fun experience and super comfortable sleeping!
    Can you post some examples? I'm having trouble finding what you're mentioning, but maybe it is because I don't have a good picture in my head.

Mostly we have the set ups we do because they're cheap and tiny.. We got one for free for a christmas present, and the other was on a super clearance sale thing online... Mine has a net built into it.. and I got the tarp from a kickstarter. So far, less than $100 for the equipment we have right now.

Likes Kas liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Can you post some examples? I'm having trouble finding what you're mentioning, but maybe it is because I don't have a good picture in my head.

Mostly we have the set ups we do because they're cheap and tiny.. We got one for free for a christmas present, and the other was on a super clearance sale thing online... Mine has a net built into it.. and I got the tarp from a kickstarter. So far, less than $100 for the equipment we have right now.
    Sure! Not a problem. I meant hammock tents like these: Hennessy Hammock Expedition Asym Zip Hammock or the Hennessy Hammock Hyperlight Asym Zip Hammock are good examples. REI is generally more expensive than it needs to be, so Amazon has lots of affordable alternatives. There are lots of options, even double-decker two person hammock tents

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by amanki View Post
    Sure! Not a problem. I meant hammock tents like these: Hennessy Hammock Expedition Asym Zip Hammock or the Hennessy Hammock Hyperlight Asym Zip Hammock are good examples. REI is generally more expensive than it needs to be, so Amazon has lots of affordable alternatives. There are lots of options, even double-decker two person hammock tents
    Ahhh I see now! A double decker might be pretty sweet actually.. two people setting up one legit system and voila.

Definitely will post up some experimentation and comfort and such.

Likes amanki liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Next month is definitely going to be pre-Japan experimentation, even if it is just sleeping outside with our gear in our own yard haha.
    Even that sounds like fun
    “The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes." A.C. Doyle

The No Likes Experiment.