• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hammock Camping

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
The weather in Japan will be supposedly 70's and 50's at night. So, if I prep for 30 degrees I think that'll be good enough. I don't plan on winter camping .. like.. literally ever.. so a 3-season set up will fit me well enough.

We tried out SOME gear.. but not many. Why? The campsite we were so excited to go to: NO TREES! At least, none we could camp with. Tons of trees actually, but those that were there were not in our "camp site space" and sleeping outside of that pissed off the cushy ranger assholes guarding the place as if people went there to do light prison sentences. So, we tent camped.

For the record, if you're going to tent camp, don't get a tiny ass tent from walmart. Everything is damp and miserable the next day.

So far:
$15 thermarest VS Static V my bf has:
B0075JN8FS_300x251.jpg
Thermarest
81pXHFxV8iL._SY355_.jpg
Static V

.. The static V is winning out. We're going to re-try this with hammocks since the comfort level is a different beast with hammocks... but on the ground, the static V did a LOT better than the thermarest. Sleeping on my thermarest left my hip sore the next day. The static V I woke up generally achy from the previous day, but no hip aches on the side I slept on. The thermarest distributes weight better than the static V, and they both pack up to be about the same size.. with the thermarest being lighter but also not covering one's feet either.. rather, it stops at the shins. The Static V goes all the way to the toes, which to me is going to be important with a cold hammock. It might pretty much be worth splurging $50 on and re-selling the repaired thermarest.. but we'll see how the hammocks go.

Next: Pillows.

I got the large thermarest compressible pillow and my bf got an exped inflatable pillow.

Compressible-Pillow-outdoor-worlds-de.jpg
Thermarest

14_Pillow_Sidesleeper_2.JPG
Exped

The thermarest is COMFORTABLE. Super super comfy. It felt like my pillow at home. Absolutely zero trouble sleeping on it. The Exped was.... okay? .. It wasn't anything to rant or rave about, and my face got hot laying on it after a while.. my cheek was sweaty waking up. Also, the exped is like the size of my palm folded up, and the thermarest is a monster that is almost the size of a sleeping bag. I'm returning the thermarest it will not work for my needs.. but it IS a really cool pillow to use as a regular pillow or a travel pillow.

What my first in line replacement is: the little reviewed Nemo Fillo Ultralite pillow. This doesn't have many reviews on it yet, but I think it's relatively new, so I'm going to try it out. If that doesn't meet my needs, then the standard and VERY well reviewed nemo fillo pillow will do the trick for sure. Combo compression-inflation pillow ftw.
vertical_height_fillo_red_3.jpg

Our sleeping bags blew. Super blew.

What I wish I could get: The super sexy Micro 2 from sea to summit. Totally made for hammocks and packs into the size of a dude's hand. check out this sexy thing.

What I will get: Kelty Cosmic 20. Packs fairly light for the price, and has a lot of upstanding reviews backing the product.

Still going to work out the hammock stuff in Texas, and find out what is good or not for us.. but getting the sleeping stuff in order is important too. :D

Also, there was an awesome dry bag a buddy of mine had called a WX TEX 15L dry bag.. it had a valve on it exactly like the thermarest valve. And it could be used as a dry bag or a pillow. It has been discontinued, and scouring the internet has turned up a lot of NOTHING for a good replacement for it.

It had given me the idea to return my scrubba washing system and get one of those instead. But since they don't exist, I'm returning it for a $6 dry bag.

This video is the best thing ever. The dude being nervous to smell his own crotch area on his biking shorts. <3 <3

But it did work, it's just far too pricey for... some nibs attached to a dry bag. My BF said just throw some smooth rocks into a regular dry bag.. I agree entirely. NOT worth the $50 unless you're a total nerd for gear.

Also, I got a Matador pocket blanket.. I LOVE this thing and it has several uses already since I received it.. I do hate the little pocket bag it comes in though and wish it was just slightly bigger and stretchy to encompass the whole thing. As it stands, I'll be getting a small draw string bag to stick it in. Still, I thought the $20 price tag was pretty steep but.. it is water resistant (water proof would have been nicer), soft, SUPER light weight, and has some stitching on it that allows you to follow to fold it up properly. It'll be something good to keep clipped to the ridgeline and lay out for a nice dry ground to step on first thing in the morning.

To be tested:
Our two different tarps
Two different hammocks
Modular bug protection vs built in bug protection

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
The weather in Japan will be supposedly 70's and 50's at night. So, if I prep for 30 degrees I think that'll be good enough. I don't plan on winter camping .. like.. literally ever.. so a 3-season set up will fit me well enough.

We tried out SOME gear.. but not many. Why? The campsite we were so excited to go to: NO TREES! At least, none we could camp with. Tons of trees actually, but those that were there were not in our "camp site space" and sleeping outside of that pissed off the cushy ranger assholes guarding the place as if people went there to do light prison sentences. So, we tent camped.

For the record, if you're going to tent camp, don't get a tiny ass tent from walmart. Everything is damp and miserable the next day.

So far:
$15 thermarest VS Static V my bf has:
B0075JN8FS_300x251.jpg
Thermarest
81pXHFxV8iL._SY355_.jpg
Static V

.. The static V is winning out. We're going to re-try this with hammocks since the comfort level is a different beast with hammocks... but on the ground, the static V did a LOT better than the thermarest. Sleeping on my thermarest left my hip sore the next day. The static V I woke up generally achy from the previous day, but no hip aches on the side I slept on. The thermarest distributes weight better than the static V, and they both pack up to be about the same size.. with the thermarest being lighter but also not covering one's feet either.. rather, it stops at the shins. The Static V goes all the way to the toes, which to me is going to be important with a cold hammock. It might pretty much be worth splurging $50 on and re-selling the repaired thermarest.. but we'll see how the hammocks go.

Next: Pillows.

I got the large thermarest compressible pillow and my bf got an exped inflatable pillow.

Compressible-Pillow-outdoor-worlds-de.jpg
Thermarest

14_Pillow_Sidesleeper_2.JPG
Exped

The thermarest is COMFORTABLE. Super super comfy. It felt like my pillow at home. Absolutely zero trouble sleeping on it. The Exped was.... okay? .. It wasn't anything to rant or rave about, and my face got hot laying on it after a while.. my cheek was sweaty waking up. Also, the exped is like the size of my palm folded up, and the thermarest is a monster that is almost the size of a sleeping bag. I'm returning the thermarest it will not work for my needs.. but it IS a really cool pillow to use as a regular pillow or a travel pillow.

What my first in line replacement is: the little reviewed Nemo Fillo Ultralite pillow. This doesn't have many reviews on it yet, but I think it's relatively new, so I'm going to try it out. If that doesn't meet my needs, then the standard and VERY well reviewed nemo fillo pillow will do the trick for sure. Combo compression-inflation pillow ftw.
vertical_height_fillo_red_3.jpg

Our sleeping bags blew. Super blew.

What I wish I could get: The super sexy Micro 2 from sea to summit. Totally made for hammocks and packs into the size of a dude's hand. check out this sexy thing.

What I will get: Kelty Cosmic 20. Packs fairly light for the price, and has a lot of upstanding reviews backing the product.

Still going to work out the hammock stuff in Texas, and find out what is good or not for us.. but getting the sleeping stuff in order is important too. :D

Also, there was an awesome dry bag a buddy of mine had called a WX TEX 15L dry bag.. it had a valve on it exactly like the thermarest valve. And it could be used as a dry bag or a pillow. It has been discontinued, and scouring the internet has turned up a lot of NOTHING for a good replacement for it.

It had given me the idea to return my scrubba washing system and get one of those instead. But since they don't exist, I'm returning it for a $6 dry bag.

This video is the best thing ever. The dude being nervous to smell his own crotch area on his biking shorts. <3 <3

But it did work, it's just far too pricey for... some nibs attached to a dry bag. My BF said just throw some smooth rocks into a regular dry bag.. I agree entirely. NOT worth the $50 unless you're a total nerd for gear.

Also, I got a Matador pocket blanket.. I LOVE this thing and it has several uses already since I received it.. I do hate the little pocket bag it comes in though and wish it was just slightly bigger and stretchy to encompass the whole thing. As it stands, I'll be getting a small draw string bag to stick it in. Still, I thought the $20 price tag was pretty steep but.. it is water resistant (water proof would have been nicer), soft, SUPER light weight, and has some stitching on it that allows you to follow to fold it up properly. It'll be something good to keep clipped to the ridgeline and lay out for a nice dry ground to step on first thing in the morning.

To be tested:
Our two different tarps
Two different hammocks
Modular bug protection vs built in bug protection

Appreciate the tip for the Static V! I think that would be perfect for the nets we hang in that I referred to in post 15. I do find the Thermarest short at times and the SV sounds like it would eliminate that annoyance.

I can't believe I never thought of a compressible pillow :doh:

Question: Do you think this pillow would also be acceptable to use when having guests stay? I hate storing extra pillows but have a lot of out of town guests and pillows that I could fold flat when not in use would be ideal. If so, would a standard pillow case fit over it?

Sounds like things are moving along nicely. Fun hearing about the planning stages and can't wait to hear about how it all worked out after :) Paying close attention for travel plans that are currently a sparkle in my eye but will develop into more...

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
I think the Static V pad comes in both insulated an uninsulated versions. I don't think the uninsulated version would be warm enough below about 60F in a hammock.

Thermarest also makes various Neoair models. I haven't tried any, but many like them. I use an Exped Synmat UL7 and a Downmat 7 for winter, both on the ground. I've used the Downmat in a hammock before too, and it was comfy. The Static V just looks like it would be more comfortable than the Exped Synmat.

With a tarp and hammock, one option is to pitch the tarp close to the ground and use the hammock as a bug bivy if needed. Attach the tree straps loosely to trees or poles if that makes it easier to keep them arranged. That's also one of the big advantages of using a sleeping pad rather than an underquilt.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Appreciate the tip for the Static V! I think that would be perfect for the nets we hang in that I referred to in post 15. I do find the Thermarest short at times and the SV sounds like it would eliminate that annoyance.

I can't believe I never thought of a compressible pillow :doh:

Question: Do you think this pillow would also be acceptable to use when having guests stay? I hate storing extra pillows but have a lot of out of town guests and pillows that I could fold flat when not in use would be ideal. If so, would a standard pillow case fit over it?

Sounds like things are moving along nicely. Fun hearing about the planning stages and can't wait to hear about how it all worked out after :) Paying close attention for travel plans that are currently a sparkle in my eye but will develop into more...

I hope they do develop into more! The thermarest pillow would be suuuper perfect for guests. Honestly it has a lot of potential uses where space isn't a problem: house guests, taking with you into the car to sleep on for longer car rides, going to a friends house to stay the night, etc. While it won't fit my needs, I do think it is a good pillow and it was very comfortable and probably the only thing that gave me good rest in the tent.

I think the Static V pad comes in both insulated an uninsulated versions. I don't think the uninsulated version would be warm enough below about 60F in a hammock.

Thermarest also makes various Neoair models. I haven't tried any, but many like them. I use an Exped Synmat UL7 and a Downmat 7 for winter, both on the ground. I've used the Downmat in a hammock before too, and it was comfy. The Static V just looks like it would be more comfortable than the Exped Synmat.

With a tarp and hammock, one option is to pitch the tarp close to the ground and use the hammock as a bug bivy if needed. Attach the tree straps loosely to trees or poles if that makes it easier to keep them arranged. That's also one of the big advantages of using a sleeping pad rather than an underquilt.

We're looking at around 50 degrees at night.

I'm not quite understanding the set up you're describing. Pictures?

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Just got totally side-tracked on the sleeping bags, and ordered a Rovor Buhl sleeping bag. At $46 for a 2.5-6 oz ultralight bag with a comfort rating with long johns of 45 degrees+, it seems too good to pass up on trying first before shelling out the money for the feature-filled Kelty. I don't camp often.. that's the true reality of it. Even if I increase my camping to.. a few times a year, it will still be just that. So, if I can get something to suit my needs with 1/3rd of the price tag, I think I'll try it at least. I'll have to test it here vs in Texas because Texas is far too warm to play test this thing with.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
An uninsulated pad with a synthetic bag might work at 50 F because the synthetic insulation won't compress as much as down. You could always get one of those cheap blue foam pads at W**mart and cut it in half for added insulation under the torsos of two people. Putting it on top of the inflatable pad works best.

Here's a blog post and a bit of a tl;dr video about using the hammock as a bivy bag/tent:

We Walk Softly: Setting Up a Hennessy Hammock as a Tent

I think the tarp pitching description has been a bit overcomplicated, but I suppose it depends on what type of tarp and guylines you have. I've done this before, but just as an experiment. I didn't actually sleep in it. I just tested it out for a few minutes as if I were sleeping

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Tried to upload a pic but it's not compatible with phone stuff. :( oh well. I'll show off everything later!

- - - Updated - - -

20160512_101401.jpg

Nevermind! I made it work :D my pack carries everything but to make it flat enough for carry on I have to use my day pack to flatten it all out. But that's all my gear for Japan! At 36 lbs it's not light or heavy. Definitely not an ultra light packer haha

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
My final packing list for Japan:
- My Buhl sleeping bag
- A thermoreactor sleeping bag liner from REI
- A grand trunk single hammock
- A static V sleeping mat (I switched with my bf)
- Some straps and amsteel whoopie slings and carabiners and such
- A mosquito net my bf made last minute out of walmart curtains.

The results?
In a nutshell, hammock camping seems like a cool summer activity, but it is definitely not a light weight, ultra light thing to do unless it is dead summer.

Camping in Japan was Kind of a failure? But it was also interesting, and eye opening and cool in its own right.

I didn't have enough gear to stay warm. Even though it only got to 50 degrees most nights (45 degrees the first time we tried), and my sleeping bag was rated at a 45 degree temperature, I was cold. With the liner, and with thermals on, I was cold. With the sleeping mat. And a mosquito net so small that it held in some heat. I was cold. An underquilt for even cool temperatures is necessary, and that takes space and money I didn't have. It takes a nicer sleeping bag, which I didn't have. And honestly, I could have used a double hammock because I could never get my lay right with the single one... I was always hanging off of one side or the other, or sleeping like a banana.

We camped a total of 2 nights out of... the 4-5 scheduled? Two of those were knocked off because we didn't go to places that were on the list, but the other ones were because I just couldn't handle it. The mosquitoes ate me alive while I was setting stuff up and all that jazz... it takes a long time to find a bum camping spot that I didn't want to spend doing because I wanted to explore things in Japan.. it takes time to set up, break down, pack up, and stuff.

So, it didn't go AT ALL according to plan. :laugh: My BF would have enjoyed all of that, but for me that was not something I enjoyed at all.

However, it was awesome to be on such a steep hill in the middle of a forest and be able to sleep on it. It was pretty cool to wake up in the morning inside of a hammock. So, while I think it was money invested in an activity that may help bring me closer to my bf.. and it is probably just fine in the summer... it is not something I would ever do again on vacation, and I don't think I'd enjoy it in the winter time (or apparently even cooler spring times).

Hammock camping is cool, and I'm going to continue to play with my gear until I get it right. But I am not really an adventurer of that style, and I want to sleep well so I can hit the day hard style.

Things I noticed while camping with a hammock:
- It is really a lot easier to find trees to bum off of than it is to find flat ground. Bum camping is easier with hammocks.
- No-see-um netting is a necessity.
- Get a sleeping bag that's FAR FAR FAR rated warmer than you'll need. I figured that comfort level at 45, with a liner, 50 degrees ish would be fine. Nope. Maybe in a tent. Not in a hammock. Not without an underquilt.
- If you're backpacking and that's all your carrying, it is a relatively small set up for the price. If you're on vacation and want to bring back souvenirs and have a place to keep your shit? Not so cool. :laugh:

So, while it was a failed experiment, it wasn't a failure. If that makes any sense. definitely a hobby I will continue.

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
My final packing list for Japan:
- My Buhl sleeping bag
- A thermoreactor sleeping bag liner from REI
- A grand trunk single hammock
- A static V sleeping mat (I switched with my bf)
- Some straps and amsteel whoopie slings and carabiners and such
- A mosquito net my bf made last minute out of walmart curtains.

The results?
In a nutshell, hammock camping seems like a cool summer activity, but it is definitely not a light weight, ultra light thing to do unless it is dead summer.

Camping in Japan was Kind of a failure? But it was also interesting, and eye opening and cool in its own right.

I didn't have enough gear to stay warm. Even though it only got to 50 degrees most nights (45 degrees the first time we tried), and my sleeping bag was rated at a 45 degree temperature, I was cold. With the liner, and with thermals on, I was cold. With the sleeping mat. And a mosquito net so small that it held in some heat. I was cold. An underquilt for even cool temperatures is necessary, and that takes space and money I didn't have. It takes a nicer sleeping bag, which I didn't have. And honestly, I could have used a double hammock because I could never get my lay right with the single one... I was always hanging off of one side or the other, or sleeping like a banana.

We camped a total of 2 nights out of... the 4-5 scheduled? Two of those were knocked off because we didn't go to places that were on the list, but the other ones were because I just couldn't handle it. The mosquitoes ate me alive while I was setting stuff up and all that jazz... it takes a long time to find a bum camping spot that I didn't want to spend doing because I wanted to explore things in Japan.. it takes time to set up, break down, pack up, and stuff.

So, it didn't go AT ALL according to plan. :laugh: My BF would have enjoyed all of that, but for me that was not something I enjoyed at all.

However, it was awesome to be on such a steep hill in the middle of a forest and be able to sleep on it. It was pretty cool to wake up in the morning inside of a hammock. So, while I think it was money invested in an activity that may help bring me closer to my bf.. and it is probably just fine in the summer... it is not something I would ever do again on vacation, and I don't think I'd enjoy it in the winter time (or apparently even cooler spring times).

Hammock camping is cool, and I'm going to continue to play with my gear until I get it right. But I am not really an adventurer of that style, and I want to sleep well so I can hit the day hard style.

Things I noticed while camping with a hammock:
- It is really a lot easier to find trees to bum off of than it is to find flat ground. Bum camping is easier with hammocks.
- No-see-um netting is a necessity.
- Get a sleeping bag that's FAR FAR FAR rated warmer than you'll need. I figured that comfort level at 45, with a liner, 50 degrees ish would be fine. Nope. Maybe in a tent. Not in a hammock. Not without an underquilt.
- If you're backpacking and that's all your carrying, it is a relatively small set up for the price. If you're on vacation and want to bring back souvenirs and have a place to keep your shit? Not so cool. :laugh:

So, while it was a failed experiment, it wasn't a failure. If that makes any sense. definitely a hobby I will continue.

Did you remember to account for humidity? When camping, in general, after sitting around by a fire, it's always best to change your clothes and sleep as close to nude as possible. The humidity that your clothes absorb throughout the day and near the fire condenses once you get in your sleeping bag and start to cool off. In youth, I was always plagued by freezing at night during the winter time until an older ex-scout gave me that advice, and I slept warm ever after that.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Did you remember to account for humidity? When camping, in general, after sitting around by a fire, it's always best to change your clothes and sleep as close to nude as possible. The humidity that your clothes absorb throughout the day and near the fire condenses once you get in your sleeping bag and start to cool off. In youth, I was always plagued by freezing at night during the winter time until an older ex-scout gave me that advice, and I slept warm ever after that.

I learned that trick from the military as well... but in the end, I had to sleep with soooome clothing on and all of it was at least slightly damp from being in a backpack outside. I ended up being slightly warmer in my thermals than in a tank top and shorts in the end, but nothing was really 100% helpful. Much easier when camping is the main focus though.

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I learned that trick from the military as well... but in the end, I had to sleep with soooome clothing on and all of it was at least slightly damp from being in a backpack outside. I ended up being slightly warmer in my thermals than in a tank top and shorts in the end, but nothing was really 100% helpful. Much easier when camping is the main focus though.

Hmmmm... Maybe some nylon or polyester shorts and top? Stuff dries super fast.

I'd probably just get a small roll of weaved nylon (I think it's nylon) tarp to use as a hammock liner (like the water-proof bottoms of newer tents). Or maybe just a roll of visqueen to carry around for general camping purposes and cut off pieces for hammock liners as needed. In any case, something that doesn't breathe or breathes very little.

If you strap a couple of Off! Brand mini tiki torches to the side of your pack, you could place them on the perimeters of your campsite.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So, I'm planning on attempting to live out of my backpack while in Japan if at all possible.

Take me with you! :hug:

I never camped outside before, I don't think. My husband did, however, during his time in Sweden, during the summer. I don't suppose he tried the hammock idea, just did the traditional pitch-and-tent. Definitely try and figure out what the weather will be like when you are in the Japanese forest so that you can carry some extra blankets if need be!

This looks pretty cool, it'll shelter you from any unsuspecting rain or insects:
tumblr_m7kzkkx97t1qlhapg.png

Oh man. I totally need to tell my husband what you're up to so that we can plan our next camping trip centered on the hammock. ;p

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Take me with you! :hug:

I never camped outside before, I don't think. My husband did, however, during his time in Sweden, during the summer. I don't suppose he tried the hammock idea, just did the traditional pitch-and-tent. Definitely try and figure out what the weather will be like when you are in the Japanese forest so that you can carry some extra blankets if need be!

This looks pretty cool, it'll shelter you from any unsuspecting rain or insects:
tumblr_m7kzkkx97t1qlhapg.png

Oh man. I totally need to tell my husband what you're up to so that we can plan our next camping trip centered on the hammock. ;p

Yeah! I really liked the hammock better than the tents, but it is a definite summer only adventure

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
So, I figured out my next hammock adventure: camping out for the ren fests. There's a teeny one in a warmer state and a bigger one in NC. It'd be pretty cool to ren fest it up, hammock camp, and then do it again and/or just explore the city nearby that day for the sake of it. I think by October it'll be getting cooler out, but hopefully not in the 45 degree range. We'll see.. Definitely good for the tiny ren fest though, SC stays fairly warm.

Making some mods to my gear along the way:
- I bought a heated sleeping bag liner. It's not here yet, but they're by the same people that made my heated jackets so I know it'll be good stuff when I do get it. I think this will fix the major issue I was having with hammocks in general.
- I'm going to start using a double hammock. The single ones are just too small for my to lay diagonal.
- I looove love love my boyfriend's netting he made for us for the trip and I found it warmer and easier to see through.. but I think an integrated net that you can simply unzip might make the process of getting in and out of the hammock more pleasant which is something I'm pretty keen on right now since getting 'settled in' was one aspect I wasn't looking forward to at night.
- Bringing BBQ stuff and setting up camp during the day will make the experience much better.
- Bringing a mosquito repellent that doesn't involve fire will be mandatory this time around. One of those clip-ons with the fan might do the trick for just getting rid of them in my general area in the evening and early morning.

So far, I like car camping more than hammock camping, but this hotel-goer is not a quitter.