• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

armor for pets

best armor?

• nobility armor

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • jouster's armor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • samurai armor

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • footsoldier's armor

• savage armor

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • other - please specify in comments

• Total voters

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
there are foxes and other predators who frequent my neighborhood. i have done a little bit of research which revealed that in general a fox would prefer not to fight a cat, but if something like that goes down, i'm not looking to have a dead cat on my hands so i am legitimately thinking about getting a set of armor for my cat; basically, i want him to win whatever engagement he gets himself into.

so at first i thought i want to get something that will keep dexter safe beyond a shadow of doubt.

started my search here:
9hi9jE8.jpg

which seemed like like it might do the trick i originally stated, as it is apparently nothing short of a wearable kitty fortress.
however, it poses a number of problems that i could see up front.
heavy =>cat needs to be agile
doesn't breathe =>breathability is important not only for temperature control, but also for sniffing stuff
probably hard to see out of =>important for the same reason sniffing stuff is
very ostentatious =>i mean it's downright absurd, and a tad traditional for his taste

so i carried on searching and came across this
F0JGa4d.jpg

it doesn't solve any of the above problems - it's largely just a weaponized version of the same thing, but it does provide another benefit worth considering.
i weighed the value of dexter being able to take on larger predators (at range no less) against the above rubric and decided to carry on my search before making any decisions.

next:
jPY3o0X.jpg

this doesn't do much about the vulgar display of fashion, but at least it's better suited to his fashion sense. and honestly, let's get real. samurai cat? i take it back. it isn't ostentatious at all.
however, he's still faced with something that's probably too heavy and even though the weight and visibility might be a little better, they're still not great.
positive point: looks like it will breathe a bit better.
cons: something i noticed about this one that i didn't notice about the other one at first is that stupid tail thing. i mean what the heck is that for anyway?
the tail needs to be loose, if not completely unencumbered, as cats use them for balance and whatnot while running.

searching on, i saw this charming number
R0bisyL.jpg

oh great, another traditional looking piece. well at least it isn't chrome. and this one definitely solves the breathability problem. it's mostly fabric and chain mail, plus it has an open face that he can see and smell out of.
alas, i am wary the mail might get caught in his fur, twigs, branches, fence posts and such or otherwise ensnare him, leaving him to squirm and struggle to break free or until some unfriendly entity happens upon by and devours him.

here's the last one i saw:
6Gfe061.jpg

this one solves a lot of the issues mentioned above!
no tail diddly, breathable, open leather, agile, won't get caught on shit, and definitely not ostentatious; just tough as heck.
the leather also offers a benefit i hadn't considered to this point - it's quiet. you don't have that metal on metal contact noise scaring off his prey (though it might do something about his predators).
no, the leather is good. i do wish it had a bit more coverage, so when i contact the vendor i'll be asking what my options are there as well as whether it comes with the pictured sword or awesome denning rug.

so... what do you guys think? any suggestions? tips? alternatives?

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
The problem with armour is that it slows you down. Cats have agility on their side, and can leap up a fence out of danger.

What you need is a cat gun.

This message is sponsored by the NRA

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
The problem with armour is that it slows you down. Cats have agility on their side, and can leap up a fence out of danger.

What you need is a cat gun.

This message is sponsored by the NRA

i mean... it's a decent idea, but how's he supposed to conceal it?
and besides that, a gun of almost any size will weigh as much in his paw as the armor on his body.

agility is why i'm really thinking i'll go with some quality leather.

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
i mean... it's a decent idea, but how's he supposed to conceal it?
and besides that, a gun of almost any size will weigh as much in his paw as the armor on his body.

agility is why i'm really thinking i'll go with some quality leather.

It'd have to be cat sized, like a derringer. You'd have to fully train your cat as well in the safe use of firearms. That or installing anti-fox turrets.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
It'd have to be cat sized, like a derringer. You'd have to fully train your cat as well in the safe use of firearms. That or installing anti-fox turrets.
i don't think you know what kind of cat we're dealing with here. i mean at that rate what's the point? a weapon of that size wouldn't ward off an offending predator any more than his fat ass will just by how intimidating he is in sheer size.
plus as soon as i bring up the idea of a gun for him, he won't settle for anything less than a .45 cal.

UckJWcE.jpg

you can see someone's already put the bug in his ear.
here he can be seen preparing to 1deag every scrub in the pub
[ fyi most of those rounds are .38 caliber ]

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
i don't think you know what kind of cat we're dealing with here. i mean at that rate what's the point? a weapon of that size wouldn't ward off an offending predator any more than his fat ass will just by how intimidating he is in sheer size.
plus as soon as i bring up the idea of a gun for him, he won't settle for anything less than a .45 cal.

UckJWcE.jpg

you can see someone's already put the bug in his ear.
here he can be seen preparing to 1deag every scrub in the pub
[ fyi most of those rounds are .38 caliber ]

How about a self defence course like karate or krav maga?

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
none of these solutions account for a sneak attack by a stealthy assailant.
armor requires no reaction time, or even situational awareness for that matter, while simultaneously affording the benefit of reducing risk/damage of harm from vehicular impact.

i'm not sure i understand your aversion to armor.
the topic is armor.
if you'd like to make a spin-off thread to debate the pros and cons of feline martial arts, or self defense for cats in its full breadth, be my guest, but that's really not the my intent here.

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
So I can't talk about replacing their claws with sharp ceramic ones? Nobody will fuck with your cat.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
you can, i don't own the forum.
it's just greivously off topic.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
i'm voting 'other' for now, as i think at this point i'll have to build my own.

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj
there are foxes and other predators who frequent my neighborhood. i have done a little bit of research which revealed that in general a fox would prefer not to fight a cat, but if something like that goes down, i'm not looking to have a dead cat on my hands so i am legitimately thinking about getting a set of armor for my cat; basically, i want him to win whatever engagement he gets himself into.

so at first i thought i want to get something that will keep dexter safe beyond a shadow of doubt.

started my search here:
9hi9jE8.jpg

which seemed like like it might do the trick i originally stated, as it is apparently nothing short of a wearable kitty fortress.
however, it poses a number of problems that i could see up front.
heavy =>cat needs to be agile
doesn't breathe =>breathability is important not only for temperature control, but also for sniffing stuff
probably hard to see out of =>important for the same reason sniffing stuff is
very ostentatious =>i mean it's downright absurd, and a tad traditional for his taste

so i carried on searching and came across this
F0JGa4d.jpg

it doesn't solve any of the above problems - it's largely just a weaponized version of the same thing, but it does provide another benefit worth considering.
i weighed the value of dexter being able to take on larger predators (at range no less) against the above rubric and decided to carry on my search before making any decisions.

next:
jPY3o0X.jpg

this doesn't do much about the vulgar display of fashion, but at least it's better suited to his fashion sense. and honestly, let's get real. samurai cat? i take it back. it isn't ostentatious at all.
however, he's still faced with something that's probably too heavy and even though the weight and visibility might be a little better, they're still not great.
positive point: looks like it will breathe a bit better.
cons: something i noticed about this one that i didn't notice about the other one at first is that stupid tail thing. i mean what the heck is that for anyway?
the tail needs to be loose, if not completely unencumbered, as cats use them for balance and whatnot while running.

searching on, i saw this charming number
R0bisyL.jpg

oh great, another traditional looking piece. well at least it isn't chrome. and this one definitely solves the breathability problem. it's mostly fabric and chain mail, plus it has an open face that he can see and smell out of.
alas, i am wary the mail might get caught in his fur, twigs, branches, fence posts and such or otherwise ensnare him, leaving him to squirm and struggle to break free or until some unfriendly entity happens upon by and devours him.

here's the last one i saw:
6Gfe061.jpg

this one solves a lot of the issues mentioned above!
no tail diddly, breathable, open leather, agile, won't get caught on shit, and definitely not ostentatious; just tough as heck.
the leather also offers a benefit i hadn't considered to this point - it's quiet. you don't have that metal on metal contact noise scaring off his prey (though it might do something about his predators).
no, the leather is good. i do wish it had a bit more coverage, so when i contact the vendor i'll be asking what my options are there as well as whether it comes with the pictured sword or awesome denning rug.

so... what do you guys think? any suggestions? tips? alternatives?

okay, its nice to know that I am not the only one to have looked this up for my pet as well.:D

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That last one provides pretty good protection against larger predators. They go to eat the cat and BAM. -- face full of spikes.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The tail armor needs stegosaurus spikes so he can use that shit to whip foxes in the face.

If you had a big maine coon, he could probably take on a fox without armor.