• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Spring Cleaning Thread

rmrf

With University starting in less than a month, it was about time I got my room in order. It was formally the den where Se/Te goes to die, was just typical INTP heaps of computer parts and wires everywhere, using the floor for storage.

I spent the last two days on a cleaning spree, de-cluttering and resisting the Si hoarder instinct, cleared two huge bin bags of junk, ordered literally hundreds of computer cables (i used to just have them strewn in my closet) into categorized boxes, set up a new desk for my gaming PC, freeing my old desk for actual work.

https://vid.me/pCTg

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
One thing I look forward to every spring is blasting the film of winter off everything with the pressure washer.

XV25

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Yeah, now how long can you keep it clean?

I do a Great Purge about once every other month, leaving with trash bags of, just, stuff. Stuff I have no need for and don't remember how it got there. It's unreal.

The worst is the stuff you don't want to get rid of that you have memories associated with but you never actually use. In the past I would keep it in a box or in a corner somewhere, but lately I have been steadily removing everything I don't use in my day to day life. It has gotten easier to get rid of old junk just sitting around. Now I ask myself "do I really need a dresser for my clothes..." and find the answer to be "no". Only reason its not gone is the thing is, like, heavy. And I'd heave to break it apart. One day.

I'm telling you, that organized box of cables? Going to be an unorganized mess before your first exam. You already have your computer set up, you clearly don't need the rest, get rid of them! The only true way to be free of a mess in your room is to have nothing to make a mess with.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yesss I'm so glad this thread exists!

If I end up actually being able to move on April 1 (depending on what rooms are available and various other factors), I am DEFINITELY going to do some spring cleaning, to get rid of unnecessary crap before the move. And I may or may not document this here, to help motivate myself and hold myself accountable.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I like it! :D!

I did go through and do a deep clean of "this is sort of where I want the house to be" thing, and now I'm working on getting my digital life more in order, doing a little bit each day and making my paperwork and everything more easily accessible and safer. I have some projects in mind, so I guess my spring cleaning will be to better organize the house and make those projects a reality! We're starting with the guest bedroom here at the cabin!

One thing I look forward to every spring is blasting the film of winter off everything with the pressure washer.

I didn't understand this until this year when I've been living with actual snow stuff... there's a layer of nasty and cold on all the things.

Yesss I'm so glad this thread exists!

If I end up actually being able to move on April 1 (depending on what rooms are available and various other factors), I am DEFINITELY going to do some spring cleaning, to get rid of unnecessary crap before the move. And I may or may not document this here, to help motivate myself and hold myself accountable.

^_^b!!

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
Yeah, now how long can you keep it clean?

I do a Great Purge about once every other month, leaving with trash bags of, just, stuff. Stuff I have no need for and don't remember how it got there. It's unreal.

The worst is the stuff you don't want to get rid of that you have memories associated with but you never actually use. In the past I would keep it in a box or in a corner somewhere, but lately I have been steadily removing everything I don't use in my day to day life. It has gotten easier to get rid of old junk just sitting around. Now I ask myself "do I really need a dresser for my clothes..." and find the answer to be "no". Only reason its not gone is the thing is, like, heavy. And I'd heave to break it apart. One day.

I'm telling you, that organized box of cables? Going to be an unorganized mess before your first exam. You already have your computer set up, you clearly don't need the rest, get rid of them! The only true way to be free of a mess in your room is to have nothing to make a mess with.

Exactly. I can't keep my apartment perfectly organized for more than 2... hours. So I also do Great Purges every two weeks or a month, depending on the mood.

Me: -Oh, I just finished cleaning and organizing everything! This time I'll make it last.
Me: - (10 minutes later) Oh, now that I organized everything I don't know where I put my things! Was it here? *empties a drawer* No. Oh, maybe there *empties a box* No. Oh, I left it on the table, duh.
Me: - (does that with another dozen things)
Me: - (looks around and sees the disaster)
Me: - Just perfect! Now I have everything at plain sight <3

rmrf

(10 minutes later) Oh, now that I organized everything I don't know where I put my things! Was it here? *empties a drawer* No. Oh, maybe there *empties a box* No. Oh, I left it on the table, duh

That's INTP Si in a nutshell lol (and we don't have Se to fall back on :p)

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I didn't understand this until this year when I've been living with actual snow stuff... there's a layer of nasty and cold on all the things.

It's one of the most satisfying cleaning activities one can engage in. I mean, I'm up for pressure washing anytime of the year but saying fuck off to winter by blasting it with 3000 psi, that's saying it like you mean it.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Cleaned out my junk mail, and going through and unsubscribing from things that were cluttering it up. Steadily getting through saving documents or labeling and archiving emails in my primary inbox now.

The house has been whipped into shape, and I've been on top of the little chores to keep it in shape so that the spring projects are the main focus. I already cleaned out the food stuffs so that all the food in the house is legit and organized. :) and I threw away some of the expired stuff and donated other things that I knew we wouldn't eat.

On the chopping block for warmer weather:
- Build the fire pit so it's a lot bigger and prettier
- Clean out and re-plant the gardens
- Build the indoor plant gardens
- Build some set-it-and-forget-it plants for decor outside
- Spring clean out clothes and shoes

It's one of the most satisfying cleaning activities one can engage in. I mean, I'm up for pressure washing anytime of the year but saying fuck off to winter by blasting it with 3000 psi, that's saying it like you mean it.

That is a quote worthy of spring cleaning! :laugh: :cheers:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Before spring cleaning, in the EJCC household, comes spring getting rid of shit.

My parents -- half to make fun of me (b/c they as an INFJ and an INTP don't understand my SJ brain), and half in earnest -- bought me a copy of Marie Kondo's organization book for Christmas. I figured I might as well try the KonMari method for myself to see what I think of it. It's working VERY well for me thus far. I've gone through most of my clothes and 80% of my junk drawers already, and will move on to household items and general miscellany within the next week or two.

Side note: Marie Kondo is ESTJ af. She spends some time in her book talking about how she used to be when she was younger, and it sounds just like me when I was a kid. For example, she used to sneak into her brother's room when he wasn't there and get rid of the things he never used. And I totally would have pulled a stunt like that in grade school, if I had a brother.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
^ I'd have killer her :laugh:

Let us know details man! :) Sounds like it's doing something right there. [MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION]

As for me.. I'm starting outside-in. Almost DONE with my digital clean up on my emails (Phew! Cant wait!) so the next phase is on the way... Today I started my garden (also on my to-do list), and I hung up all of the items for the gazebo that were cluttering it up. Pretty satisfied with my work and I did it all by myself--including splicing together an old empty lantern base + a colorful blown glass piece into an amazing chandelier for the gazebo. I'm thinking it might be worth it as well to screen-in the gazebo as well and make a sort of bug sanctuary out there in the yard. I have a few more major things to do on that side, and then I can officially say that project is done with.. The fire pit is next out there.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ I'd have killer her :laugh:
Yeah she had a lot of nerve (+ cojones!) to do something like that.

Let us know details man! :) Sounds like it's doing something right there. [MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION]
Fine, FINE

I'll give more of a summary when I've gone through more of my stuff.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Yeah she had a lot of nerve (+ cojones!) to do something like that.

Fine, FINE

I'll give more of a summary when I've gone through more of my stuff.

YaY! (also, I like my phone's auto correct writing killer instead of killed. Thanks samsung.)

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
It feels good to have nice enough weather to line dry clothes again. Instant propane savings! :heart:

We're giving the kitchen, the shed, and spare bedroom a complete overhaul because those are our major problem areas.. Once they've been fixed up it'll be a lot easier to work on different areas of the house. I'm slowly either finding a use for clutter, or getting rid of it as I go. Just a little bit each day.

We did clean out the medicine cabinet in the bathroom as well, that helped a TON in and of itself without much effort.

We, just today, installed a new shelving unit in the kitchen to house a lot of the things tucked away and taking up space. I'm transferring things into reusable jars vs being in boxes cluttering the space and needing protecting from moisture and pests. Knocked out a few little things pending for... Literally almost a whole damned year.. like washing out, drying, and finding a use for some jars and tupperware containers we had.