• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Small towns that you've visited or lived in

GIjade

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'd really enjoy hearing about small towns where you've lived or visited and how you liked the town. I'd like to hear about small towns, simple places with simple people. Towns that you liked for one reason or another. Anyone?

Mole

Permabanned
From a Small Country Town to the City in the Bush

I'd really enjoy hearing about small towns where you've lived or visited and how you liked the town. I'd like to hear about small towns, simple places with simple people. Towns that you liked for one reason or another. Anyone?

I grew up in a small country town called Picton in New South Wales, Australia, click on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SHuBeHLlyo

My father was the publican and the lessee of a country pub called the Imperial Hotel click on https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...KHSo-CH4Q_AUICCgC&dpr=2#imgrc=U6FcfomfQbrG-M:

I had a pony called Tricksy click on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjIMTVVIeKU , and we were allowed to roam all over the town, the local creek, and at the surrounding hills. It was a somewhat idyllic childhood.

As I grew older I was glad we moved back to the city with greater opportunities click on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmCmisH8Vaw

In the city we worked in the central business district but on the weekends went to one of the beautiful national parks surrounding Sydney click on https://vimeo.com/109364748

So I loved the city during the week and the Bush in the weekend, so I jumped at the opportunity to live and work in the City in the Bush called Canberra, our national Capital click on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjJ_8hNyTZY

So I was lucky to spend my youth in a small country town, my maturity in the big smoke, Sydney, finally fetching up in a gorgeously planned city combining the best of the city and the Bush.

Chrysanthe

Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
See I hate living in a small town because it's neither in the wilderness where I don't have to deal with anyone and live in peace, nor is it in the big city where everything feels so alive and fuels my Fe. I can't find anything redeeming about living in a small town in the desert hell of southern california where literally everything is dead or dying or desiring to die and where the nearest salvation is by airplane but thats too much money so you buy drugs instead and pretend this isnt the shittiest place youve ever lived.

...sorry to ruin it for you. :'(

Lia_kat

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I love small towns, they are incredibly charming. I live in Pennsylvania(US) and enjoy exploring new towns all the time. At the moment my favorite is Jim Thorpe -- mountainous, plenty of outdoor activities, historical sites and lovely, little shops. I spend hours just looking at everything they have. New Hope is another small town with cute shops and lots to do. Just the overall atmosphere of small towns is what pulls me in. The calm pace, the farmer's markets, the unique vendors and stores. It's wonderful. That's why I live in the suburbs: close to nature/small towns and a quick drive to the city if I feel the need.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Lol, I didn't even know Home, Garden, & Nature was a Sub-forum hahaha.

a-hem to contribute, I like small towns when it's names are like "Cool"

Cool, California.

220px-Cool%2C_Calif_sign.jpg

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Until almost ten I lived in log cabin on a dirt road, knew how to drive a tractor, most of my food came from the ground, and my jelly came from a grape trellis...drinking and drugs were something sinners did, and I washed my hair in prell or dippity doo...I used to wonder if this is why I loved The Dukes of Hazzard, and The Great American Hero, so much...then I saw Urban Outfitters.

I honestly think it's weird we all love this shit so much when all I had were dusty rocks and dandelions, then I remember my grandfather could read Chaucer.

We all love South Park. Believe it or not, I'm walking on air, who loved the PBS Agatha Christie hour like me...hee..he.

GIjade

MBTI Type
INFJ
See I hate living in a small town because it's neither in the wilderness where I don't have to deal with anyone and live in peace, nor is it in the big city where everything feels so alive and fuels my Fe. I can't find anything redeeming about living in a small town in the desert hell of southern california where literally everything is dead or dying or desiring to die and where the nearest salvation is by airplane but thats too much money so you buy drugs instead and pretend this isnt the shittiest place youve ever lived.

...sorry to ruin it for you. :'(

You didn't ruin it for me, that's just your opinion and that's fine.

GIjade

MBTI Type
INFJ
Oh, wow, Jim Thorpe is a really cool town! Well, from what I saw when I looked it up. There are castle ruins and then there's that street - Race Street?- with all the old buildings. It's seems like a really nice town. I think I'll visit. Thanks for your post!

GIjade

MBTI Type
INFJ
Lol, I didn't even know Home, Garden, & Nature was a Sub-forum hahaha.

a-hem to contribute, I like small towns when it's names are like "Cool"

Cool, California.

220px-Cool%2C_Calif_sign.jpg

Cool! Are those pictures of you in the spoiler? If so, you look like you'd fit right in in Cool, CA!

Mole

Permabanned
Small Towns and Mythology

It seems small towns fit perfectly into the mythology of the USA.

Small towns speak of innocence and nature, of town hall meetings, and neighbourliness.

And the fascinating thing is that we all live our respective mythologies. And when we visit the USA, we find Americans are neighbourly, they are friendly and helpful, good humoured and intelligent, they are the perfect representatives of their own mythology.

And what I find interesting is how Australians live out our mythology. And strange as it might seem to our American cousins, we have inherited an aristocratic mythology - we love the outdoors, we are brutal in sport and manners, we are jealous egalitarians who make a sport of cutting down tall poppies.

So it is becoming plain that Americans are nice and Australians are not very nice at all. However a saving grace of Australians is that we have a deprecating sense of humour that is unfortunately lost on Americans.

And further, it seems that Americans are a kind people living in an unkind system, whereas Australians are an unkind people living in a kind system.