• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Homecooked veggie-based food ideas

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I like it when meat has a flavor impact but does not star the show always. I like having a mostly veggie base, and I want hot foods (not salads so much) because it's winter. Basically, I have a goal to have vegetables be a key role in every single meal I eat. I'm looking for inspiration.

I have soups down pact. But let me give some examples of what I'm looking for inspiration wise:

- I cooked sloppy joes that were mostly chopped veggies as the base and the sauce also being made of veggies and herbs, with 1 lb of ground beef making 8 servings.
- Tacos with veggie toppings
- Black bean burgers with some cooked and cooled meat in the mix
- I have in the works in my head a veggie-based lasagna
- Vegetable spaghetti with half real noodles, half veggie noodles and a veggie-based sauce.
- Oatmeal with sweet potato, soaked dates, and pumpkin

Anyone have any vegetable dishes that don't have to be vegetarian, but have a good flavor and are easily adaptable like the things listed above?

Null

-
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Homemade curry is the best thing ever. Just fry all kinds of vegetables (I recommend zucchini, broccoli, carrots and pepper), pour full fat coconut milk over it, spice it with curry, curcuma and vegetable broth, and put in whatever else you want in there (like cashews). My favorite dish probably.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
what about doing a stir fry with fried or baked tofu, how we do it is go to an asian market get whatever vegetables look good get some of those thin rice noodles i'll have to ask what my mom uses for the sauce. I know its hot pepper sauce like sriacha (she uses this stuff from hungary that is not over here and the closest thing to it here is sriacha), ginger, a stir fry sauce, and garlic. we usually do chicken or beef or shrimp as protein but you could either do all vegetables or tofu

I actually saw a black bean burger recipe in my alaska cook book that i want to try everything i've had has been excellent i'll ask my mom to send the recipe. its actually just black bean patties that are spicy but i don't see why they couldn't be eaten as burgers

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I had an appetizer at a restaurant a few days ago that I Want to reproduce at home.

It was wind mushrooms, sauteed in olive oil with garlic, salt, pepper, with goat cheese on a toasted baguette. It was really delicious and simple.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
for 10oz of vegetables
got stir fry recipe from my mom
fry ginger &garlic in oil
fry tofu remove,
stir fry vegetables ,
add protein to warm back up
1/4 csoy sauce, 1/2 c vegetable broth mix with a little bit of corn starch(about 1 tbs per cup of liquid of all the sauce ),and hot or sweet chili pepper sauce (to taste)

serve over rice or noodles if desired

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I like it when meat has a flavor impact but does not star the show always. I like having a mostly veggie base, and I want hot foods (not salads so much) because it's winter. Basically, I have a goal to have vegetables be a key role in every single meal I eat. I'm looking for inspiration.

I have soups down pact. But let me give some examples of what I'm looking for inspiration wise:

- I cooked sloppy joes that were mostly chopped veggies as the base and the sauce also being made of veggies and herbs, with 1 lb of ground beef making 8 servings.
- Tacos with veggie toppings
- Black bean burgers with some cooked and cooled meat in the mix
- I have in the works in my head a veggie-based lasagna
- Vegetable spaghetti with half real noodles, half veggie noodles and a veggie-based sauce.
- Oatmeal with sweet potato, soaked dates, and pumpkin

Anyone have any vegetable dishes that don't have to be vegetarian, but have a good flavor and are easily adaptable like the things listed above?

We have this often - it is so good. You don't miss the meat and in summer when I have tomatoes, I use two medium ones, chopped.

Slutty Low-Carb Pasta - The Londoner

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
To be honest I find just cooking an assortment of chopped veggies in a bit of olive oil, with garlic and basil, is delicious, esp served over pasta with some parmesan. I personally add some ham when I do this, and sometimes sundried tomatoes, but I'm sure it would be fine without. I find the small zucchini and yellow squash is really good doing this, and adding a lot of spinich is a must for me!

I've also played around a lot with red lentils, just cooking them for a while. I'll often add some carrots and onion, and spinich at the very end, served over rice. I love putting a lot of ground coriander, some turmeric, some cayenne, some whole cumin seeds, and salt, in it, but I don't have precise measurements so it's really a matter of taste and what spice combos you think you'd like. So this prob isn't a good example but thought I'd share the lentil option.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
To be honest I find just cooking an assortment of chopped veggies in a bit of olive oil, with garlic and basil, is delicious, esp served over pasta with some parmesan. I personally add some ham when I do this, and sometimes sundried tomatoes, but I'm sure it would be fine without. I find the small zucchini and yellow squash is really good doing this, and adding a lot of spinich is a must for me!

I've also played around a lot with red lentils, just cooking them for a while. I'll often add some carrots and onion, and spinich at the very end, served over rice. I love putting a lot of ground coriander, some turmeric, some cayenne, some whole cumin seeds, and salt, in it, but I don't have precise measurements so it's really a matter of taste and what spice combos you think you'd like. So this prob isn't a good example but thought I'd share the lentil option.

I love lentils. But they hate me, anything more than a spoonful.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm a vegetarian, but not a pulses type... they do not agree with me either.

My husband made an awesome thai green vege curry tonight with basmati. It comes pretty close to restaurant standard and my fav food to eat out is thai red curry with tofu... so he is right on the money.

You just need coconut milk, vegetables, green curry paste, tofu and seasoning. Oh and rice. There is a trick to cooking great rice, you may already know it. People have their own variations of perfect rice, I learnt form a Brazilian ESFJ friend and she still makes the best rice ever.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram

I use lentils to make a pretty awesome gravy as well. :)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Oh yayyyyys. It's easy to flavor pasta or rice with veggie boullion, something like Not Chkn, or if you want to spring for packaged vegetable broth. It can also be added to the water when you're cooking beans or lentils - and easy way to start is to sautee onion and garlic, then add the water,broth or bouillon and pulses (dry bag is cheaper and easy to season)...then throw in some rosemary, or dill (two of my faves) or your favorite dry or fresh herbs of choice with salt and pepper. Easiest homemade veggie meal, and frozen or fresh vegetables can be added at the end if you want. Mix it up. One day with veggies, one day over rice, one day over "buttered potatoes" (can use vegan butter if preferred)...you can also add chili powder instead of fresh herbs, and use as taco filling, top with lettuce, tomatoes, avacado, and/or sour cream.

It's possible to fix a pasta sauce from peanut butter, soy sauce, a squeeze of lemon or lime, and if you want, spice it up with cilantro or Sriracha. The pb gives you protein and iron.

Oatmeal cooked with dry or frozen fruit and a handful of nuts, maybe sprinkle cinnamon, or sugar or stevia, and top with milk or soy milk.

Firm tofu pressed and drained, sautéed all day or overnight in olive oil and soy sauce, thrown into stir fry veggies, or just broccoli, or kale, served with rice, or toasted whole grain bread.

Firm tofu marinated just for like 20 minutes in BBQ sauce, olive oil, a splash of apple cider vinegar, and maybe garlic salt if you're feeling spicy, baked or pan fried and served in slices on a sandwich, perhaps with lettuce and tomato, and mayo or vegenaise.

Bell peppers stuffed with cooked quinoa and chestnuts or almonds, perhaps with just salt and pepper, or your favorite spices, drizzled with olive oil and baked until toasty, wilting and slightly browned. Could potentially add stewed or fresh tomatoes to the quinoa stuffing. Quinoa is a complete protein, and the nuts just give you a very hearty vegetarian meal.

For simple sweets, freeze and whip fruits like banana and strawberries in a blender to make "nice cream."

Or slice a banana, coat lightly with ethically sourced cocoa powder, and mix with maple syrup until just the right consistency (enough to not choke on cocoa, but also not soupy). Do this for each person enjoying a snack or dessert.

Baked potato served with sautéed mushrooms, a dab of A-1 sauce, and you can add sour cream/silken tofu.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Butternut Squash and Spinach Lasagna (substitute the pasta for zucchini or something?)

Peanut-Sesame Slaw with Soba Noodles - Cookie and Kate (I use soba, but this would also be really good with spiralized carrots and cucumbers)

Recipe: Braised Coconut Spinach & Chickpeas with Lemon — Recipes from The Kitchn | The Kitchn (veggie curry served on top of a baked sweet potato!!)

Cold Comfort | The Traveler's Lunchbox

Acorn Squash with Kale and Sausage recipe | Epicurious.com

our four forks - moroccan shepherd’s pie with sweet potato

http://www.marthastewart.com/353816/tomato-cobbler (not healthy at all, but one of my favorite ways to showcase fresh tomatoes)

Smoky Roasted Corn Soup With Chipotle Chile From 'The Beekman 1802 Heirloom Vegetable Cookbook'

Healthy Mac and Cheese - Pinch of Yum (with zucchini noodles)

Baked Eggs with Spinach and Tomatoes - Budget Bytes (goddamn amazing as an open-faced sandwich, but bread is optional -- I like substituting heirloom cherry tomatoes and sauteed kale)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I came up with a new pizza that's vegetarian. it's pita dough, roasted potatoes that have dill,parsely,lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper on them that have been sliced thin (not super thin) and pre roasted ten minutes, then tomatoes, garlic, feta, and parmasean and the sauce is olive oil. and its delicious if you put tzaki on it. (basically i had pita dough in the fridge and all this other stuff, it ended up being delicious) it's also delicious with out tzaki but that puts it over the top.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I also forgot to mention on the peanut butter pasta sauce, you might want to add a spoonful or two of water, over low heat, so the pb won't be too thick.

And you can make vegan sour cream at home, if you want it with the baked potato or soft tacos: silken tofu, salt, sugar (or stevia), lemon juice, olive oil and little vinegar. That way you don't have to spend more on a brand name.

Always press the firm or extra firm tofu for the two tofu recipes.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Loving these suggestions :) Some I already do but the recipes are still pretty sweet.

Things I'm trying next week:
- Pre-made veggie-egg scramble in the fridge to heat up first thing in the morning.
- Sweet potato, pumpkin, and carrot steamed/roasted in the oven and pureed into oatmeal
- Meatless meatballs and mushrooms in a ginger soy dressing over rice and veggies
- A new flavor of coleslaw since I seem to like those salads the best

Permabanned
I lurv pre-made veg eggless omelettes, pre-made veg Breadless bread and pre-made veg chicken less wings.