• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Homecooked veggie-based food ideas

Dyslexxie

Dope& diamonds.
Ive used her website and Chocolate covered Katie for recipes before. :) Skinnytaste also tends to have a lot of veggie sub recipes I like.
Oh yeah, Chocolate Covered Katie! :heart:
I've never heard of Skinnytaste but will check it out, thank you!
Also, holy smokes your cook book. SO AWESOME!

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Oh yeah, Chocolate Covered Katie! :heart:
I've never heard of Skinnytaste but will check it out, thank you!
Also, holy smokes your cook book. SO AWESOME!

:encore: Thank you :) I try to add new stuff as I go.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Someone has probably already mentioned this (maybe me!), but I need to reiterate my love of breakfast bakes.

1) Roast some squash, sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, any other root vegetables you want, with s&p and spices. Or cook them in a skillet. It's good either way.

2) Crack some eggs on top, and sprinkle on some cheese, when you have a few minutes left. Put back in the oven if you were roasting. If not, put a lid on your skillet and cook on a lower setting until eggs are to your liking.

3) Serve (with sriracha if you want, and trust me, you want)

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Someone has probably already mentioned this (maybe me!), but I need to reiterate my love of breakfast bakes.

1) Roast some squash, sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, any other root vegetables you want, with s&p and spices. Or cook them in a skillet. It's good either way.

2) Crack some eggs on top, and sprinkle on some cheese, when you have a few minutes left. Put back in the oven if you were roasting. If not, put a lid on your skillet and cook on a lower setting until eggs are to your liking.

3) Serve (with sriracha if you want, and trust me, you want)

Come to think of it I haven't made anything like that in a hot minute. Thanks for the post :) I think I have a variety of roots frozen and ready to go for just such an occasion...

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Chickpea of the sea is the most eye rolling adorable vegetarian name ever. Vegetarian tuna salad sandwich. I'll test it out and report back.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Chickpea of the sea is the most eye rolling adorable vegetarian name ever. Vegetarian tuna salad sandwich. I'll test it out and report back.
"[MENTION=7991]chickpea[/MENTION] of the sea"?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
The best part of this post ^^ is that chickpea liked it. :rofl1:

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This looked like an appropriate thread to ask:

Does anyone have a good recipe for veggie/lentil/etc. burgers? I'm less picky about the ingredients than that they stay together reasonably well while cooking. I tried making black bean burgers over the summer. They tasted fine but wanted to come apart, even with relatively gentle handling in a frying pan.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I actually made this for me and my mom and it{s amazing sorry my uptick key has decided to become a ´{ I just realized my cat changed my keyboard to spanish ok my keyboard is not broken everything is fine don't worry ok recipe here you go Tofu banh mi with vegan Sriracha mayo - Lazy Cat Kitchen I didn't make the vegan mayo i just too regular mayo and added sricha

oh and i baked the tofu

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram

Does anyone have a good recipe for veggie/lentil/etc. burgers? I'm less picky about the ingredients than that they stay together reasonably well while cooking. I tried making black bean burgers over the summer. They tasted fine but wanted to come apart, even with relatively gentle handling in a frying pan.

From what I can tell, you have to freeze them first.. eggs definitely help them keep their shape, but freezing solid is essential. Even then, they aren't going to hold the way a burger does.. they will still crumble away a little, but you can mostly get them to keep their shape. I make them sliiightly smaller than the actual bun so that the bun 'closes' around the back of it when holding but you can still get some burger in with your first bite.

I like Skinnytaste's black bean burger recipe, and use it fairly regularly.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

Anytime I come across an issue like this, I turn to one place...

The Food Lab: Vegan Burgers That Don't Suck | Serious Eats

they haven't let me down yet. There is an update near the bottom of the post for this specific problem fix.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thanks [MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION] and [MENTION=4050]ceecee[/MENTION]. I'll give your suggestions a try when grilling season comes around again.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yaaas [MENTION=4050]ceecee[/MENTION]. When in doubt, ask Kenji Lopez-Alt (or Dan Pashman). I love them and I love how they try to optimize food.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
1 eggplant cut in parts and midly roasted in a pan then pure tomato purree in a bowl. 2 cut buffallo mozzarella in it, pepper, salt and grated nutmeg. Some noodles, et voila, party hard !

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Y'all, I made spaghetti squash tonight, and it was THE BOMB. I had tried it once ages ago and didn't care for it, but either my tastes have changed or I cooked it wrong last time. I had it with some uncured turkey smoked sausage, Mario Batali's low-sugar spaghetti sauce, and of course parmesan cheese. Could have used something else besides the sausage for protein, but it was good with it and turkey sausage isn't terrible.