User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Thread: Cooking eggs

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by oberon67 View Post
    I could eat a dozen deviled eggs in a sitting. I never have, but I'm certain I could.
    Do you mean a dozen halves, six whole eggs, or a dozen eggs, 24 halves?

I've eaten a dozen halves before. When I was pregnant with my second child I had high blood pressure at the end. My midwife "prescribed" me six eggs a day and all the watermelon I could stomach. It worked. I'm not sure what's in eggs that lowers blood pressure (short term-- I'm pretty sure long term it's not good to eat six eggs a day, but it was only going to be a couple of weeks for me).
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INTP

The only trick with eggs I know is to add to the beaten eggs before you scramble them: some 1/2 & 1/2, various bits of cheese, and a dash of cumin. Also I find that heat is a key element to successful eggs...low side of Medium makes the best, though it takes longer.

Let me also add that I have never successfully flipped an omelette.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Do you mean a dozen halves, six whole eggs, or a dozen eggs, 24 halves?
    I meant a dozen halves, six whole eggs.

I could eat a dozen deviled eggs in a sitting. I never have, but I'm certain I could.
    I could literally eat eggs until my stomach explodes. I love them. As much as I like deviled eggs though, I prefer egg salad. It's the same thing basically, only more finely mixed.

MBTI
    ENTP

In a frying pan, with a little olive oil, fry some chopped onions and crushed garlic. Add as much chilli as you like. When the onions are soft, add a can of chopped tomatoes, and one of kidney beans. When it's all heated through, pout the mixture into oven proof dishes, crack an egg or two in the middle of each one, add a drop of olive oil on top of the egg and bake at about 200C for ten minutes. Eat with bread rolls.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INTP

Cooking eggs volume 2
    I read about baluts not that long ago and showed a pic to my husband. It repelled him so much that he seriously gets annoyed at me for just saying the word "balut" which offcourse means I say over and over again (especially when we eat).

Balut:
    From wiki - Balut is a fertilized duck egg with a nearly-developed embryo inside that is boiled and eaten in the shell. They are considered delicacies of Asia and especially the Philippines, Cambodia, and Vietnam. Popularly believed to be an aphrodisiac and considered a high-protein, hearty snack, baluts are mostly sold by street vendors at night in the regions where they are available. They are often served with beer. The Filipino and Malay word balut(balot) roughly translates to mean "wrapped".
    Verbal IQ Test

SubFacor IQ score = 65
    Subscale percentile = 1

You appear to have a very limited vocabulary and lack the ability to identify the correct responses for a variety of different questions. A deficient vocabulary can hinder you in many ways; you may struggle to find the correct words when speaking, fail to understand what others are communicating to you, or come across as inarticulate to others.

Oberon

Here's another favorite way in which I cook eggs. It's a frittata.

Think of it as a really chunky quiche without the crust.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

That looks yummy!

My mother-in-law makes a thing like that called a German Apple Pancake, which I suspect is neither German nor a pancake but actually does contain apples. Mostly eggs with a bit of flour and milk and apples, baked in a skillet and then topped with apple compote.

Oberon

The frittata starts in a cast-iron frying pan. Start by frying bacon, ham, or sausage, then add potatoes, onions, and (somewhat later) mushrooms. When the vegetables are cooked, pour raw scrambled eggs over the mixture, top with shredded cheese and fresh tomatoes, and pop the whole thing in the oven for 20 minutes or until the eggs show a touch of brown around the edges.

It's fantastic.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

The frittata starts in a cast-iron frying pan. Start by frying bacon, ham, or sausage, then add potatoes, onions, and (somewhat later) mushrooms. When the vegetables are cooked, pour raw scrambled eggs over the mixture, top with shredded cheese and fresh tomatoes, and pop the whole thing in the oven for 20 minutes or until the eggs show a touch of brown around the edges.

It's fantastic.
    That sounds awesome. I may make it tonight!

I found the German Apple Pancake recipe:

German Apple Pancake

INGREDIENTS

Pancake:
    3 large eggs
    3/4 cup milk
    3/4 cup white flour
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 1/2 Tbs butter
    1/2 cup thin-sliced apples

Filling: 1 lb. tart, fresh apples (pippin are great)
    1/4 cup melted butter
    1/4 cup sugar
    powdered cinnamon and nutmeg

Topping:
    2 tbs. melted butter
    powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Beat together the eggs, milk, flour, and salt until very smooth. Add some very thinly sliced apples if desired. In a heavy 12 inch skillet, melt about 1 1/2 tbs butter. As soon as it is quite hot, pour in the batter and put the skillet in the oven. After 15 minutes, lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees and continue baking for another 10 minutes. The pancake should be light brown and crisp.

During the first 10 or 15 minutes of baking, the pancake may puff up in large bubbles. If it does, pierce it thoroughly with a fork or skewer.

While the pancake is baking prepare the apple filling. Peel and thinly slice a pound of apples. Saute them lightly in 1/4 butter and add 1/4 cup sugar. Season to taste with cinnamon and nutmeg. The apples should be just tender, not to soft. About 8 to ten minutes of cooking over a medium flame should be plenty.

(The filling can be prepared ahead and reheated just before serving)

When the pancake is ready, slide it onto an oval platter, pour the apple filing over one side, and fold the other side over. A little melted butter can be poured on if you choose and the whole thing carefully sprinkled with powdered sugar through a sieve. Serve it at once, slicing pieces off crosswise.

(From Vegetarian Epicure)