User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: Cooking eggs

Quote Originally Posted by dissolved girl View Post
    I love eggs, I'm hard boiling one at this second. French toast is amazing, especially with brown sauce.
    What pray tell is brown sauce? It sounds savory rather than sweet, which would make it an odd topping for French toast.

MBTI
    INFP

I have a Moroccan breakfast recipe for eggs, that I actually make often for myself and my kids. Bit more effort than just frying or poaching, but seriosuly delicious.

3 medium sized tomatoes
    1-2 eggs (your choice)
    1/2 tsp parsley
    1/2 tsp coriander (if usings fresh then chop really fine)
    1 clove garlic (ground)
    1/2 tsp paprika
    1/2 tsp cumin
    1/2 tsp chilli powder
    drop or two of oil
    salt to taste

Dice the tomatoes and add to oil in a frying pan on high heat, use a fork or something to mash the tomatoes down as you are cooking them, add all the seasoning herbs and garlic, stir in, gently crack 1-2 eggs over it all so that they are resting above the tomatoe mixture, turn down heat to medium, put a lid on and leave to cook until the egg reaches a consistancy you are happy with. (this is basically like poaching an egg, only with the juices of a tomatoe and flavour.

Serve with crusty bread, using the bread to dip into the sauce........seriously delicious.

You can also turn it into a main meal, by just increasing the ingrediants, adding prawns prior to the eggs for 5 minutes, and then the egg. Serve with chips (british chips), or saute potatoes.

"No one can be free of the chains that surround them"

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    What pray tell is brown sauce? It sounds savory rather than sweet, which would make it an odd topping for French toast.
    HP Sauce - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yummy on bacon.

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Sahara View Post
    I have a Moroccan breakfast recipe for eggs, that I actually make often for myself and my kids. Bit more effort than just frying or poaching, but seriosuly delicious.

3 medium sized tomatoes
    1-2 eggs (your choice)
    1/2 tsp parsley
    1/2 tsp coriander (if usings fresh then chop really fine)
    1 clove garlic (ground)
    1/2 tsp paprika
    1/2 tsp cumin
    1/2 tsp chilli powder
    drop or two of oil
    salt to taste

Dice the tomatoes and add to oil in a frying pan on high heat, use a fork or something to mash the tomatoes down as you are cooking them, add all the seasoning herbs and garlic, stir in, gently crack 1-2 eggs over it all so that they are resting above the tomatoe mixture, turn down heat to medium, put a lid on and leave to cook until the egg reaches a consistancy you are happy with. (this is basically like poaching an egg, only with the juices of a tomatoe and flavour.

Serve with crusty bread, using the bread to dip into the sauce........seriously delicious.

You can also turn it into a main meal, by just increasing the ingrediants, adding prawns prior to the eggs for 5 minutes, and then the egg. Serve with chips (british chips), or saute potatoes.

Yummmm!

-Geoff

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Yummmm!

-Geoff
    Let me know if you make it and if you enjoy it, it's actually a "poor mans dish" in Morocco, but that's why I like it, costs so little to prepare.

Oberon

My favorite way to prepare eggs is as an adjunct to sausage gravy.

Having fried a couple of handfuls of loose sausage in a frying pan, proceed to make the gravy by preparing a roux amongst the meat...dump in a cup or so of flour and lightly brown it in the sausage grease, thoroughly blending the flour and grease in the process. Then add water, onion powder or dried onion, and black pepper to taste. The quantity of water depends on how thick you like your gravy. You can use fresh onion if you like, but if so you should brown it with the sausage rather than adding it later.

When your gravy is ready, turn the heat down to simmer, crack three eggs directly into the gravy (they'll float and hang together), and put the lid on. Allow the eggs to steam in the simmering gravy for five to ten minutes. When the whites of the eggs are firm through, they're done.

Serve eggs and gravy ladled generously over fresh biscuits, with additional salt and pepper at table if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahara View Post
    Ah, no wonder I didn't know, it appears to be uniquely English. Still, it sounds kind of gross to put on French toast.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    i love deviled eggs
    God. Me too.
    There is no such thing as separation from God.

Oberon

I could eat a dozen deviled eggs in a sitting. I never have, but I'm certain I could.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Deviled eggs = the shiz!

My mother-in-law makes them with curry. I haven't decided yet if I like them that way. It's not what I'm used to, but I'm open to change.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii