User Tag List

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: House remodel pics, suggestions, ideas, projects

MBTI
    eSTP

Default House remodel pics, suggestions, ideas, projects

Just wanted to start a thread of house remodeling. I just bought a 1970s house last august and working on a complete remodel. Moving walls, installing hard wood floor, etc. Updating from a 1970 look and layout to a more modern look and layout.

This past weekend I replaced the tile floor in the entrance way Its been a 2 week project due to snow and rain. It started out with an ugly green marble tile.

As a point of reference, this is right after we bought the house

As you can see we removed the half walls and tore down the tiny entrance to hall on left and made it alot wider and centered so its more inviting. We also removed all the wood trim and used rounded bull nose trim on the edges. I will be finishing the trim this weekend as well as painting all the doors
    Last edited by Poki; 03-21-2015 at 11:00 AM.
    Take what I say with a grain of salt, because that's all it is compared to the ocean of complexity when it comes to actions and real life.

MBTI
    eSTP

Here is the bathroom remodel I finished a couple weeks ago. This took over a month simply because we couldnt figure out what color we wanted to paint it. I am still working on building a cabinet that is on the one wall thats not in the picture.

Before

After

I still have little things that need to be done here and there. I generally knock out the major things and just tackle the little things on days I dont have alot of time or just wanna somewhat relax. I go for function first and then perfection.
    Last edited by Poki; 03-21-2015 at 11:01 AM.
    Take what I say with a grain of salt, because that's all it is compared to the ocean of complexity when it comes to actions and real life.
    Likes spirilis, GarrotTheThief, gromit, Jaguar, cm81 and 2 others liked this post

MBTI
    eSTP

The long hall way has been gotten rid of. The master at the end of the hall has been opened up to the living room, the center of the hall way is being turned into a dry bar and there is a good size 3'x3.5' linen closet behind the door in the picture

Before
    In this picture the first door to right is coat closet, then bathroom door, then tiny linen closet, then the second bedroom

After
    To the right of the hallway is my sons bedroom and a coat closet next to it.

Here is the end of the hallway, straight ahead is the linen closet and a room to the right of it. The old layout had the door to the room about 2 feet back and a tiny 2'x2' linen closet to the right of the door.
    Last edited by Poki; 03-21-2015 at 11:02 AM.
    Likes highlander, an hero, Punderstorm liked this post

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Looks good. Except i dont think the entrance floor color matches with the wall color all that well. Also The bathroom mirror is not on the same level of fanciness as other parts of the bathroom, but i kinda suspect you already figured it out
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    eSTP

The bathroom mirror is gonna be framed, just Havnt done it yet. I like the floors. Struggled alot with finding the right tiles. Pretty much just settled with this color as it didnt look bad. I am happy with it though. Test things I always struggle with is color and accessories. I am good with layout and construction.

The walls ended up the color they are because I wanted to paint one room that color and we couldn't figure out what color to paint the house, so it all got painted that color.

When I went in the house for for he first time, I remodeled how we need to rearrange the floor plan and major ideas, but not color scheme.

make it all beige
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    eSTP

SO didn't want beige. To plain
    Likes GarrotTheThief, gromit, cm81, Punderstorm liked this post

The Green Jolly Robin H. Array GarrotTheThief's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

looks pretty good. show us the room with the couch when the floor is done.
    "i shut the door and in the morning
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.

MBTI
    eSTP

Will do.

Anyone installed pex before? I found an open box special on a tankless water heater (brand new and half price) and I am wanting to move from old school copper in foundation to pex. Trying to decide if I wanna go manifold route and have a valve for every location or just run a single main pipe and branch off of it. I am liking the idea of being able to turn the water off to a single location, but I don't like the idea of having to run a pipe from the manifold to every location. That seems like a lot of wasted pipe. I am gonna centralize the water heater in the attic, right now the water heater is on the far left of the house.

Since I plan on expanding laundry room, bathroom, moving kitchen sink, and completely remodeling the master bath I figure that it would be easier and cheaper just to switch to pex then move around all the copper plumbing.

MBTI
    eSTP

I think I decided to do 4 main lines for plumbing instead of a separate line for each. One main line for kitchen, one for outside faucets, one for bathroom and laundry room on one side of house and another for other bathrooms on other side. This way I can shut off sections, but avoid a full pipe from manifold to location for EVERY outlet. That's 5 per bathroom(3 of those), 2 faucets outside, kitchen, washing machines, dish washer, sink, will run a line for turtle tanks as well.

Starting wood floors in living tonight, leveled it last night.