• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

House remodel pics, suggestions, ideas, projects

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
With the reduced price of LED light bulbs I have almost moved the house over to only LED. I have just a couple more bulbs to change out. Namely the stupid candelabra type because those are still expensive per bulb. Walmart bulbs are down to about $2.30 a piece. Which isn't to bad. I refuse to pay anything above $2.50 for an led bulb which is why I still have the candelabra types to switch out. I can't find those for less then $8 a piece.

So just aneed idea. My 3 bulb fixture over kitchen table has been moved from 3 60 watt bulbs to 3 15 watt fluorescent to now 3 5 watt led and the led are brighter then the other 2. Entrance way was moved to 2 40watt eq led which uses about 15watts total. Sons 5 bulb bathroom fixture has been moved to 5 watt led which brings it down to 25 watts from 300 watt incandescent or 75 watt flourescent.

All in all we are running about 750kwh a month and we have major issues leaving lights on. We don't really focus on using as little as possible. So things like this help alot. I have a tankless water heater I need to install a well.

I know it's like the person who gets a burger and a diet drink. It's called balance.

ACE Hardware down here had a sale on LEDs and had spot lights, bulbs, and the candle-style bulbs for $8 for a pack of 4 for the candle ones and $2.99 for the rest of the bulbs. I think it was worth the investment for sure.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ACE Hardware down here had a sale on LEDs and had spot lights, bulbs, and the candle-style bulbs for $8 for a pack of 4 for the candle ones and $2.99 for the rest of the bulbs. I think it was worth the investment for sure.

Thanks, I will have to check the ads down here :) I have some can lights I am installing that the low power spot light type fit perfect in.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Decided to throw together a table tonight.

Hopefully get it finished up tomorrow.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Hopefully get it finished up tomorrow.

How are you planning on finishing the legs? Looks great, I will look forward to seeing the pics of the finished product.

And speaking of pics, I can't see the ones I uploaded either. Will try again later. :)

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
How are you planning on finishing the legs? Looks great, I will look forward to seeing the pics of the finished product.

And speaking of pics, I can't see the ones I uploaded either. Will try again later. :)

Paint, I saw a table on Google I liked the other day so I imitated it kinda. I remember diamond tiles separated by wood. So I did that an improvised so tile all fit nicely in size I wanted. Well, 42" wide. Length was shooting for 72in, but it ended up 82in. After trim and due to border tile I added so I can reach the correct width. Width was more important to me then length.

Grout tonight. Wanted something cheap and fsst. Needed to be done by tomorrow morning. Leg are 2x4 and 2x6.

Tile -$35
Tile adhesive $14
Plywood - $17
2x4 - $10
2x6 - $12
Paint - already had it from another project
Grout - $7
Hardware was stuff I already had
Trim pieces - $30

Think that adds up to $115 about 5 hours work

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Since this is your remodel thread, here are the pictures:

It was actually started just as a place to post all personal remodel type stuff. I like how it uses the walls for the support of the three corners. I did something similar, except it's freestanding, and not as organized yet.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Threw together a co-sleeper tonight with some scrap wood. Found some memory foam on clearance at Walmart for $15. Queen size allowed me to cut it into 4 pieces. Still trying to decide on stacking 2 or 3. Gonna have to buy a few more trim pieces and then paint it black to match bed. We looked at a 70 crib to modify from ikea, but I figured I could build it cheaper. Got some cleanup to do on memory foam also so it fits better.

Scrap 2x4, scrap birch plywood, scrap Plywood for base from table project. Scrap 1x2 pine from table project.

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
IDK
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Your house is coming on well. Keep up the good work! I really liked the table in the last page. And the bar also.
Your house is kinda like an idea I had in mind when I moved out and could afford my own house.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Whaaaat?! I bought that same memory foam clearance thing! In fact I'm going to buy one more if they still have them there tomorrow on my way to (definitely not take out the trash in their parking lot while Im at it) work! I gave it to my parents to turn my 9 year old Ikea mattress into something possibly slightly better to sleep on.

I think co-sleepers are definitely the way to go for babies.. and kids? I always asked my parents why they need a bed at all. Something comfy on the floor is best--no falling, no hiding things under the bed, they can run everywhere and literally crash.

:soapbox:

Anyways, definitely that thing made my parents' air mattress 100000% better while they were here visiting too. :) I thought maybe I could use the foam and cut it for a bench, to repair the couch, and other stuff.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Whaaaat?! I bought that same memory foam clearance thing! In fact I'm going to buy one more if they still have them there tomorrow on my way to (definitely not take out the trash in their parking lot while Im at it) work! I gave it to my parents to turn my 9 year old Ikea mattress into something possibly slightly better to sleep on.

I think co-sleepers are definitely the way to go for babies.. and kids? I always asked my parents why they need a bed at all. Something comfy on the floor is best--no falling, no hiding things under the bed, they can run everywhere and literally crash.

:soapbox:

Anyways, definitely that thing made my parents' air mattress 100000% better while they were here visiting too. :) I thought maybe I could use the foam and cut it for a bench, to repair the couch, and other stuff.

Lol, I am half tempted to go pick up a few more for other projects as well and maybe one for my mom since she likes to do craft stuff. Would work perfectly for a bench top :)

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Paint, I saw a table on Google I liked the other day so I imitated it kinda. I remember diamond tiles separated by wood. So I did that an improvised so tile all fit nicely in size I wanted. Well, 42" wide. Length was shooting for 72in, but it ended up 82in. After trim and due to border tile I added so I can reach the correct width. Width was more important to me then length.

Grout tonight. Wanted something cheap and fsst. Needed to be done by tomorrow morning. Leg are 2x4 and 2x6.

Tile -$35
Tile adhesive $14
Plywood - $17
2x4 - $10
2x6 - $12
Paint - already had it from another project
Grout - $7
Hardware was stuff I already had
Trim pieces - $30

Think that adds up to $115 about 5 hours work

This is great! Awesome job.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Lunch project, GF roughly layed it out on paper and i put it together during lunch.

Just picked up some 3inx4ft 1/4in thick project wood. Cut and glued together with some fast drying construction adhesive called power grab.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Threw together a co-sleeper tonight with some scrap wood. Found some memory foam on clearance at Walmart for $15. Queen size allowed me to cut it into 4 pieces. Still trying to decide on stacking 2 or 3. Gonna have to buy a few more trim pieces and then paint it black to match bed. We looked at a 70 crib to modify from ikea, but I figured I could build it cheaper. Got some cleanup to do on memory foam also so it fits better.

Scrap 2x4, scrap birch plywood, scrap Plywood for base from table project. Scrap 1x2 pine from table project.

Yeah memory foam is brilliant when you are building a bed yourself... you do not have to build around standard mattress sizes... and it's so much more comfy when you buy high quality stuff. I bought some for our storage seating (as well as beds), we ordered it made & cut to specific sizing. It was not cheap but it was still cheaper than buying a standard size memory foam mattress. I made the seating covers out of fabric I already had left over on a roll... Gonna see if i can take a half decent pic now and add it..

G1wBuLU.jpg

rjo2sSp.jpg

QLeiib7.jpg

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah memory foam is brilliant when you are building a bed yourself... you do not have to build around standard mattress sizes... and it's so much more comfy when you buy high quality stuff. I bought some for our storage seating (as well as beds), we ordered it made & cut to specific sizing. It was not cheap but it was still cheaper than buying a standard size memory foam mattress. I made the seating covers out of fabric I already had left over on a roll... Gonna see if i can take a half decent pic now and add it..

G1wBuLU.jpg

rjo2sSp.jpg

QLeiib7.jpg

Nice, I am about to build a Bench in kitchen and may do something similiar now that you mention it. My bed is a 16 foam matress and a nice 4" memory foam topper. Makes for a pain in the ass to find deep enough sheets, but everyone comments how good it feels when they lay on it. Top that off with down comforter and some down pillows and you can sleep forever. I much prefer it over the couple thousand dollars matresses. Got matress on clearance too. So it was like $199 for queen matress from costco, original $799. And topper was around $199 regular price. Only issue is with 18"deep sheets it keeps pulling off and I have an issue putting my fingers through seams when putting them on.

This stuff is about 1.5" support foam and 1.5 contoured memory foam. Doubled up and it's not bad at all.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is all kick-ass [MENTION=12103]Poki[/MENTION].

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Working on padding for fireplace as a safety thing for the baby. Had bought another $15 queen size 3"memory foamy and cut to fit. Gonna glue it to some wood so it holds shape. And we bought some fabric that my mom is gonna sew to fit over it.

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You must have a lovely home.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Moving return air to ceilings for cleaner air and more air

Here is what the return air using wall cavity looked like.

New return air in ceiling.

Over doubled CFM up to about 1800cfm.