• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

House remodel pics, suggestions, ideas, projects

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Can I ask why the microwave is above the stove? Is this considered normal?

Yeah, this is normal. It's to get it off of the counter to give more counter space. It has a light and a vent under it. Usually has a small cabinet above, but GF wanted just an open space for huge 10qt and 12qt stock pans and stuff. That won't fit in a little 9in tall cabnet. There are also ones that integrate into floor to ceiling cabinets, but we got the microwave for free and we removed the floor to ceiling cabinet for more counterspace.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, this is normal. It's to get it off of the counter to give more counter space. It has a light and a vent under it. Usually has a small cabinet above, but GF wanted just an open space for huge 10qt and 12qt stock pans and stuff. That won't fit in a little 9in tall cabnet. There are also ones that integrate into floor to ceiling cabinets, but we got the microwave for free and we removed the floor to ceiling cabinet for more counterspace.

Is the ventilation for the microwave or for the stove/hob? I'm used to seeing an extracting fan above the hob.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Is the ventilation for the microwave or for the stove/hob? I'm used to seeing an extracting fan above the hob.

The vent is for the stove/hob. We used to have an extraction fan, but wanted the microwave off the counter for more space.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Can I ask why the microwave is above the stove? Is this considered normal?

That's entirely normal. In fact, I have never seen a redo where the microwave wasn't built in. Either above the stove or the drawer type built into an island or cupboard. Either way it gets it off the counter.

P-MMDV30S-03-332x350.jpg

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That's entirely normal. In fact, I have never seen a redo where the microwave wasn't built in. Either above the stove or the drawer type built into an island or cupboard. Either way it gets it off the counter.

P-MMDV30S-03-332x350.jpg

My question is more to do with the microwave being above the stove. Not that it is removed from the counter top. My microwave is also built in, but I made sure there were enough ventilation holes for the exhaust, according to the manual. Also placing the microwave above the stove, would mean more heat and steam/fat/oil to get into a place that is not easy to keep clean. That would normally be the place an extraction fan is built in with a filter to collect this fat/oily substance from cooking. You know for the sake of easy to replace, taking out the hassle of cleaning. Or at least, that is the concept.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Either way, it will be the last roof we will ever need - life expectancy is 40-60 years and up.

We were looking at this too as an option for our new roof. In our case, the difference in cost is between $9000 asphalt and $18000 steel. Although attractive, there are some in the neighborhood around 10 years old that are losing their painted coating, and the sales people say this shouldn't happen, but really the product hasn't been out in the wild long enough to know. So, something to be aware of - look around the neighborhood if you can at older installations before deciding. We will likely go asphalt.

existence

MBTI Type
ISTJ
[MENTION=12103]Poki[/MENTION]

Cool stuff!

Poki said:
The bathroom mirror is gonna be framed, just Havnt done it yet. I like the floors. Struggled alot with finding the right tiles. Pretty much just settled with this color as it didnt look bad. I am happy with it though. Test things I always struggle with is color and accessories. I am good with layout and construction.

The walls ended up the color they are because I wanted to paint one room that color and we couldn't figure out what color to paint the house, so it all got painted that color.

When I went in the house for for he first time, I remodeled how we need to rearrange the floor plan and major ideas, but not color scheme.

Ah I had fun figuring out the colour scheme when getting my place renovated. I kinda did it by looking at a lot options then gut decision at the end of all of it. I guess you are settled on all of it by now..? I'm OK with figuring out layout stuff too. Accessories is what takes longer for me.

Looks good. Except i dont think the entrance floor color matches with the wall color all that well. Also The bathroom mirror is not on the same level of fanciness as other parts of the bathroom, but i kinda suspect you already figured it out

Must be subjective about the floor vs wall colour. Looks fine by me.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My question is more to do with the microwave being above the stove. Not that it is removed from the counter top. My microwave is also built in, but I made sure there were enough ventilation holes for the exhaust, according to the manual. Also placing the microwave above the stove, would mean more heat and steam/fat/oil to get into a place that is not easy to keep clean. That would normally be the place an extraction fan is built in with a filter to collect this fat/oily substance from cooking. You know for the sake of easy to replace, taking out the hassle of cleaning. Or at least, that is the concept.

The bottom of microwaves do have filters. We are talking about knocking that wall out and opening the hall behind it up to the kitchen. That would make the current spot an island and would move back to a vent hood over the island and possible a place to hang pots as well. Would more then likely do a in cabinet microwave at that point or a drawer one. I forgot about those.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=12103]Poki[/MENTION]

Cool stuff!

Ah I had fun figuring out the colour scheme when getting my place renovated. I kinda did it by looking at a lot options then gut decision at the end of all of it. I guess you are settled on all of it by now..? I'm OK with figuring out layout stuff too. Accessories is what takes longer for me.

Must be subjective about the floor vs wall colour. Looks fine by me.

Personally for color I have to pick something I like and mimic it. I am really good at layout and merging the technical aspects with function. Decorations is my weak spot. If left to me I and up with a very clean, open, almost bare look and feel. I like lots of different looks, but if left to my own accord the nice and clean look is easiest for me to pull off.

existence

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Personally for color I have to pick something I like and mimic it. I am really good at layout and merging the technical aspects with function. Decorations is my weak spot. If left to me I and up with a very clean, open, almost bare look and feel. I like lots of different looks, but if left to my own accord the nice and clean look is easiest for me to pull off.

Yeah beyond layout and colours and choosing the main objects determining the rest of the outlook, I have to spend more time on figuring out smaller decorations and I'm not good at certain types of it.

I do like a more impressive look though beyond just clean bare looks.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah beyond layout and colours and choosing the main objects determining the rest of the outlook, I have to spend more time on figuring out smaller decorations and I'm not good at certain types of it.

I do like a more impressive look though beyond just clean bare looks.

I do prefer a more impressive look, I just suck at it and it takes a really long time for me to do. I have noticed that IxFJ are usually awesome at that stuff. Not all, but alot.

existence

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I do prefer a more impressive look, I just suck at it and it takes a really long time for me to do. I have noticed that IxFJ are usually awesome at that stuff. Not all, but alot.

Yeah to me it's worth the time :)

INFJ or ISFJ too? My mom's probably an ISFJ and she isn't good at this. But I think she just didn't have time to focus on this while having to take care of the family too.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Awesome work, clearly a natural!

I am appalling at carpentry even though my father was a carpenter and I worked with him a great deal as a teenager. I'm pretty into experimental idea's and have a super super functional bedroom/living room/office/storeroom- it's very small and does actually cover all those bases (I came up with the design idea's). My brother, who does take after my father in terms of woodwork skill, made it and also imputed in the idea storming. I think I might have posted some pics before.

Love the open plan styling you have, in terms of colour I would go with a palette range and then put the order of those colours in after, i have a general idea with colours that go well together, just not how to order them :smile: My mother is an artist though so she does help a lot with that. She's also an ENFP and quite experimental.

Keep up the good work... ISTP's rock.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
With the reduced price of LED light bulbs I have almost moved the house over to only LED. I have just a couple more bulbs to change out. Namely the stupid candelabra type because those are still expensive per bulb. Walmart bulbs are down to about $2.30 a piece. Which isn't to bad. I refuse to pay anything above $2.50 for an led bulb which is why I still have the candelabra types to switch out. I can't find those for less then $8 a piece.

So just aneed idea. My 3 bulb fixture over kitchen table has been moved from 3 60 watt bulbs to 3 15 watt fluorescent to now 3 5 watt led and the led are brighter then the other 2. Entrance way was moved to 2 40watt eq led which uses about 15watts total. Sons 5 bulb bathroom fixture has been moved to 5 watt led which brings it down to 25 watts from 300 watt incandescent or 75 watt flourescent.

All in all we are running about 750kwh a month and we have major issues leaving lights on. We don't really focus on using as little as possible. So things like this help alot. I have a tankless water heater I need to install a well.

I know it's like the person who gets a burger and a diet drink. It's called balance.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
With the reduced price of LED light bulbs I have almost moved the house over to only LED. I have just a couple more bulbs to change out. Namely the stupid candelabra type because those are still expensive per bulb. Walmart bulbs are down to about $2.30 a piece. Which isn't to bad. I refuse to pay anything above $2.50 for an led bulb which is why I still have the candelabra types to switch out. I can't find those for less then $8 a piece.

So just aneed idea. My 3 bulb fixture over kitchen table has been moved from 3 60 watt bulbs to 3 15 watt fluorescent to now 3 5 watt led and the led are brighter then the other 2. Entrance way was moved to 2 40watt eq led which uses about 15watts total. Sons 5 bulb bathroom fixture has been moved to 5 watt led which brings it down to 25 watts from 300 watt incandescent or 75 watt flourescent.

All in all we are running about 750kwh a month and we have major issues leaving lights on. We don't really focus on using as little as possible. So things like this help alot. I have a tankless water heater I need to install a well.

I know it's like the person who gets a burger and a diet drink. It's called balance.

We are almost all LED now too. Just a few to do, I have been watching the specials and using coupon incentives to switch to smart energy. I like the LEDs way more than the fluorescents, really dislike the quality of light they exude. I feel like I can't "see" properly somehow around those kinds of lights.

Plus I like your comment about balance. :)

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
We are almost all LED now too. Just a few to do, I have been watching the specials and using coupon incentives to switch to smart energy. I like the LEDs way more than the fluorescents, really dislike the quality of light they exude. I feel like I can't "see" properly somehow around those kinds of lights.

Plus I like your comment about balance. :)

The balance thing is so funny with ENFP GF. She is control without change and I am control by change. So she starts getting picky about leaving lights on and we need to turn them off. So I change out the lights instead of being as picky. We need to remember to do this thing, so make it automatic instead. Problem solved.

Lol my parents I was sitting at thier house one day and they started bitching at each other about closing the inside garage door. So I got up and left. Came home with a spring loaded hinge, installed it said there, bitching is done. It closes on its own. People are funny that way. Why make life harder, ENFP GF is seeing a whole new side to solutions. I am not lazy, but the more streamlined things are that don't require intervention the more you can focus on other things that matter and you can't streamline yet. I do that all the time...problem solved stop your bitching.

She didn't see the point in good knives because her old crappy ones worked. I got her a good knife set and she couldn't see spending the money. I almost gave it to her early because she gave me a knife to cut an apple and the knife twisted and went out the side of the apple and curved. Now that she knows what good knives are she won't go back. These arent even crazy good, just a $ 700 set I got on sale for $200. It's crazy how much she lives with difficult because it's more "efficient" somehow. She is cheap and I have no issue spending money so we balance each other out. I am showing her the other side of living. She never grew up with the thought of "what do I want" just make what I have work. She helps stretch out money so it goes longer.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Yeah, our experience with CFLs was crap. They were supposed to last ages but we only ever got like a couple months out of them. And you can't just throw them away either. :dry:

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
The balance thing is so funny with ENFP GF. She is control without change and I am control by change. So she starts getting picky about leaving lights on and we need to turn them off. So I change out the lights instead of being as picky. We need to remember to do this thing, so make it automatic instead. Problem solved.

Lol my parents I was sitting at thier house one day and they started bitching at each other about closing the inside garage door. So I got up and left. Came home with a spring loaded hinge, installed it said there, bitching is done. It closes on its own. People are funny that way. Why make life harder, ENFP GF is seeing a whole new side to solutions. I am not lazy, but the more streamlined things are that don't require intervention the more you can focus on other things that matter and you can't streamline yet. I do that all the time...problem solved stop your bitching.

She didn't see the point in good knives because her old crappy ones worked. I got her a good knife set and she couldn't see spending the money. I almost gave it to her early because she gave me a knife to cut an apple and the knife twisted and went out the side of the apple and curved. Now that she knows what good knives are she won't go back. These arent even crazy good, just a $ 700 set I got on sale for $200. It's crazy how much she lives with difficult because it's more "efficient" somehow. She is cheap and I have no issue spending money so we balance each other out. I am showing her the other side of living. She never grew up with the thought of "what do I want" just make what I have work. She helps stretch out money so it goes longer.

Your examples were interesting because, although I definitely historically identify with being more like your ENFP gf (make what you have work) I have been (in the last 7-8 years or so?) becoming much more like yourself in the problem-solving arena. My ESTJ husband will complain about something 10x and I will now say, "The time you've been unhappy we could have just driven to the hardware store, spent $50 and fixed this problem. Let's just fix it." A recent example was in our new house, he was frustrated with lack of storage -- "There aren't enough shelves, we have no storage space." So, there was a great 12 foot span in the storage room that would lend itself nicely to making shelves. And he was like, "I don't know" and I was encouraging that we don't over-think it, let's just build them. We went to the building center, bought 2x4's and chipboard, and got to it. Took one day to do and is now great. And he feels good because he made these shelves. He likes it when he solves problems.

It's like I have realized that the time spent complaining about a thing is simply time lost. Let's just fix it. Let's just do the things we say are important. It's realizing I have the ability to not have to "put up" with something, I can change it. Somehow it's been very empowering in other areas of my life too.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Since this is your remodel thread, here are the pictures:

Last edited: