User Tag List

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: House remodel pics, suggestions, ideas, projects

MBTI
    eSTP

Quote Originally Posted by chubber View Post
    Can I ask why the microwave is above the stove? Is this considered normal?
    Yeah, this is normal. It's to get it off of the counter to give more counter space. It has a light and a vent under it. Usually has a small cabinet above, but GF wanted just an open space for huge 10qt and 12qt stock pans and stuff. That won't fit in a little 9in tall cabnet. There are also ones that integrate into floor to ceiling cabinets, but we got the microwave for free and we removed the floor to ceiling cabinet for more counterspace.
    Take what I say with a grain of salt, because that's all it is compared to the ocean of complexity when it comes to actions and real life.

failed poetry slam career Array chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by Poki View Post
    Yeah, this is normal. It's to get it off of the counter to give more counter space. It has a light and a vent under it. Usually has a small cabinet above, but GF wanted just an open space for huge 10qt and 12qt stock pans and stuff. That won't fit in a little 9in tall cabnet. There are also ones that integrate into floor to ceiling cabinets, but we got the microwave for free and we removed the floor to ceiling cabinet for more counterspace.
    Is the ventilation for the microwave or for the stove/hob? I'm used to seeing an extracting fan above the hob.

MBTI
    eSTP

Is the ventilation for the microwave or for the stove/hob? I'm used to seeing an extracting fan above the hob.
    The vent is for the stove/hob. We used to have an extraction fan, but wanted the microwave off the counter for more space.
    Take what I say with a grain of salt, because that's all it is compared to the ocean of complexity when it comes to actions and real life.
    Likes chubber liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Can I ask why the microwave is above the stove? Is this considered normal?
    That's entirely normal. In fact, I have never seen a redo where the microwave wasn't built in. Either above the stove or the drawer type built into an island or cupboard. Either way it gets it off the counter.

I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

failed poetry slam career Array chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    That's entirely normal. In fact, I have never seen a redo where the microwave wasn't built in. Either above the stove or the drawer type built into an island or cupboard. Either way it gets it off the counter.

My question is more to do with the microwave being above the stove. Not that it is removed from the counter top. My microwave is also built in, but I made sure there were enough ventilation holes for the exhaust, according to the manual. Also placing the microwave above the stove, would mean more heat and steam/fat/oil to get into a place that is not easy to keep clean. That would normally be the place an extraction fan is built in with a filter to collect this fat/oily substance from cooking. You know for the sake of easy to replace, taking out the hassle of cleaning. Or at least, that is the concept.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    Either way, it will be the last roof we will ever need - life expectancy is 40-60 years and up.
    We were looking at this too as an option for our new roof. In our case, the difference in cost is between $9000 asphalt and $18000 steel. Although attractive, there are some in the neighborhood around 10 years old that are losing their painted coating, and the sales people say this shouldn't happen, but really the product hasn't been out in the wild long enough to know. So, something to be aware of - look around the neighborhood if you can at older installations before deciding. We will likely go asphalt.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

Senior Member Array
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Socionics
    LSI Se

@Poki

Cool stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Poki
    The bathroom mirror is gonna be framed, just Havnt done it yet. I like the floors. Struggled alot with finding the right tiles. Pretty much just settled with this color as it didnt look bad. I am happy with it though. Test things I always struggle with is color and accessories. I am good with layout and construction.

The walls ended up the color they are because I wanted to paint one room that color and we couldn't figure out what color to paint the house, so it all got painted that color.

When I went in the house for for he first time, I remodeled how we need to rearrange the floor plan and major ideas, but not color scheme.
    Ah I had fun figuring out the colour scheme when getting my place renovated. I kinda did it by looking at a lot options then gut decision at the end of all of it. I guess you are settled on all of it by now..? I'm OK with figuring out layout stuff too. Accessories is what takes longer for me.

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    Looks good. Except i dont think the entrance floor color matches with the wall color all that well. Also The bathroom mirror is not on the same level of fanciness as other parts of the bathroom, but i kinda suspect you already figured it out
    Must be subjective about the floor vs wall colour. Looks fine by me.
    Likes Poki liked this post

MBTI
    eSTP

My question is more to do with the microwave being above the stove. Not that it is removed from the counter top. My microwave is also built in, but I made sure there were enough ventilation holes for the exhaust, according to the manual. Also placing the microwave above the stove, would mean more heat and steam/fat/oil to get into a place that is not easy to keep clean. That would normally be the place an extraction fan is built in with a filter to collect this fat/oily substance from cooking. You know for the sake of easy to replace, taking out the hassle of cleaning. Or at least, that is the concept.
    The bottom of microwaves do have filters. We are talking about knocking that wall out and opening the hall behind it up to the kitchen. That would make the current spot an island and would move back to a vent hood over the island and possible a place to hang pots as well. Would more then likely do a in cabinet microwave at that point or a drawer one. I forgot about those.

MBTI
    eSTP

Quote Originally Posted by existence View Post
    @Poki

Cool stuff!

Ah I had fun figuring out the colour scheme when getting my place renovated. I kinda did it by looking at a lot options then gut decision at the end of all of it. I guess you are settled on all of it by now..? I'm OK with figuring out layout stuff too. Accessories is what takes longer for me.

Must be subjective about the floor vs wall colour. Looks fine by me.
    Personally for color I have to pick something I like and mimic it. I am really good at layout and merging the technical aspects with function. Decorations is my weak spot. If left to me I and up with a very clean, open, almost bare look and feel. I like lots of different looks, but if left to my own accord the nice and clean look is easiest for me to pull off.

Senior Member Array
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Socionics
    LSI Se

Quote Originally Posted by Poki View Post
    Personally for color I have to pick something I like and mimic it. I am really good at layout and merging the technical aspects with function. Decorations is my weak spot. If left to me I and up with a very clean, open, almost bare look and feel. I like lots of different looks, but if left to my own accord the nice and clean look is easiest for me to pull off.
    Yeah beyond layout and colours and choosing the main objects determining the rest of the outlook, I have to spend more time on figuring out smaller decorations and I'm not good at certain types of it.

I do like a more impressive look though beyond just clean bare looks.
    Likes Poki liked this post