123 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default Best Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipes

Okay. I haven't tried this at home yet, but... it looks impressive.
    Especially on an empty stomach while sitting at work.

https://www.yahoo.com/food/why-choco...364968844.html

RECIPE: SALTY CHOCOLATE CHUNK COOKIES

INGREDIENTS
    •1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    •1 teaspoon baking powder
    •1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    •1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    •1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
    •3/4 cup (packed) light brown sugar
    •1/2 cup sugar
    •1/4 cup powdered sugar
    •2 large egg yolks
    •1 large egg
    •1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    •8 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate (do not exceed 72% cacao), coarsely chopped
    •Maldon or other flaky sea salt

etc.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes chubber liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Interesting. I don't know how I would feel about baking them that much - every instinct I have to to leave them in the oven no longer than 8 minutes. The suggestion about tossing some cornflakes in is absolutely right. I wouldn't have thought so - until I made Momofuku's Cornflake Chocolate Chip Marshmallow Cookies. Woah. Now I know why the things cost like $14 apiece.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes Totenkindly liked this post

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    Interesting. I don't know how I would feel about baking them that much - every instinct I have to to leave them in the oven no longer than 8 minutes. The suggestion about tossing some cornflakes in is absolutely right. I wouldn't have thought so - until I made Momofuku's Cornflake Chocolate Chip Marshmallow Cookies. Woah. Now I know why the things cost like $14 apiece.
    Depends on the oven. Mine takes 9-10.

And I'll have to try the chopped chocolate next time... I generally buy really good quality chips, but I like the idea of little pools of melted chocolate re-solidifying in my cookies. Mmm.

One thing I do that makes a huge difference is brown my butter. It gives the cookies a nice toffee-like quality.
    Friends, waffles, work

"The problem is, when you depend on a substitute for love, you can never get enough" - Louis Cozolino

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

Likes grey_beard liked this post

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

I own The Ultimate Chocolate Cookie Book by Bruce Weinstein & Mark Scarbrough.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

I unreservedly endorse chopped chocolate in place of chocolate chips. Real chocolate is so much better than those waxy little bits. I especially like how you can use bigger pieces. My other tricks are to tilt the brown sugar/white sugar ratio a bit more in favor of brown sugar, to underbake by about a minute, and to add cornflakes as ceecee suggests or even roughly crushed pretzels for that hit of salt.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari
    Likes Totenkindly, Ivy liked this post

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    My other tricks are to tilt the brown sugar/white sugar ratio a bit more in favor of brown sugar, to underbake by about a minute, and to add cornflakes as ceecee suggests or even roughly crushed pretzels for that hit of salt.
    The book I mentioned in my previous post has a recipe that uses crushed potato chips. The cookies are very crispy and slightly greasy and salty. It's pretty cool.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Oh, I am so subscribing to this thread.

I have a question. I can make really good thin, chewy chocolate chip cookies, but I can never seem to figure out how to make those thick, soft, cakey ones. They always come out flat. What da problem is?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Never heard of the cornflakes thing before. interesting!
    I actually tend to use more brown sugar too.

Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post

I have a question. I can make really good thin, chewy chocolate chip cookies, but I can never seem to figure out how to make those thick, soft, cakey ones. They always come out flat. What da problem is?
    I'm not a huge baker, but i think baking soda and/or eggs are used to make things cakier. I think the cookies flatten out more with more butter/oil/shorterning, too. Probably someone else can better give you more specifics on what to try.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Butter/margarine may be the issue, it melts fast and tends to spread. You could use butter flavored shortening and see if that helps. The flour may be another issue. Try cake flour or another lower protein flour. Parchment lined sheets help too.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes Totenkindly liked this post

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

This may be helpful to you: The Ultimate Chocolate Cookie Book: From Chocolate Melties to Whoopie Pies, Chocolate Biscotti to Black and Whites, with Dozens of Chocolate Chip Cookies and Hundreds More: Bruce Weinstein, Mark Scarbrough: 9780060562748: Amazon.com: Books

In addition to a whole bunch of recipes, it also has tips and advice. There are a variety of factors such has humidity, temperature of the butter, temperature of the eggs, baking powder and baker soda degrading as they get old (humidity can compromise baking soda), etc. It's pretty detailed.

Another neat feature is the crunch-o-meter at the beginning of each recipe. It indicates the texture category: fudgy, chewy, cakey, crunchy, and hard. Some cookies are in between, such as the chocolate chunk cookies which are described as chewy-cakey.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp