User Tag List

12 Last

Default Intentional Food

This will be a blog about my efforts (and those of anyone who wants to join me!) to be more intentional about the food I eat and prepare. The focus will be on eating and preparing food that benefits not necessarily from a great deal of effort and expense but rather from forethought and time. So the focus will be on things like slow cooked meals, bread, fermented food, light gardening, food preservation etc.

I'm no expert on these things and will be learning as I go along and would appreciate any input from other members.

Hopefully I can take some time each week to further this project and make a post. It will be a fun adventure!
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it
    Likes Noon, BadOctopus, EJCC, gromit liked this post

MBTI
    INTP

Good luck!

I've been doing this somewhat myself. Just trying to get in the fruits and veggies is hard. Is this mainly for health, or for enjoyment?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Cool! I look forward to stealing reading your recipes. Especially the slow-cooker ones. My crockpot is such a lifesaver.

Thanks for the feedback it's very encouraging!

I have to prepare and freeze some split chicken breasts for chicken and dumplings next week. So I think I just might start with making a simple broth with what remains.

I usually buy chicken broth and haven't been terribly pleased the one or two times I've tried to make it in the past (I think it was just a bit too gelatinous for me especially since I'm used to store bought). I will be back to report how it went. Since I'm planning ahead to do the dumplings it makes sense to do it this way and then use the broth in the chicken n dumplings.

So yesterday I roasted my split chicken breasts and then shredded them. I put the shredded meat in my freezer for later use and set aside the carcasses for my stock. I made the stock by starting with a fresh mirepoix (chopped celery, carrot, and onion) in olive oil until it all was just starting to brown. After that I threw in the roasted breast carcass with some roasted mirepoix and whatever other goodness was left from the roasting pan. I added a bay leaf and a few other spices and herbs and filled it to the top with water. It didn't take long to bring it to a simmer and to fill the house with some great smells.

The first recipe I looked at only said to simmer it for an hour, but after checking it it quickly became apparent it would need much longer. I ended up actually having to put it in the fridge for the night before I set it to simmer for 5-6 hours today.

In the end it still didn't quite have a nice depth of flavor or any gelatin whatsoever (as opposed to too much the last time). Clearly this is because of the part of the bird I was using so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. Still a heck of a lot better than anything store bought. For dinner I wasn't terribly hungry or eager to make more work so I just made a gravy out of the stock I didn't put in the freezer and added some frozen peas. Very humble food, but along with some nice crusty bakery bread and butter I wouldn't feel ashamed offering it to the Queen of England.

On the whole I'd call it a success and look forward to saving up some whole carcasses to put my BIG stock pot to use.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

I like this idea, and this thread. Seems very meditative and lovely.

Subscribing and encouraging my forum twin @Showbread to check it out as well--
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!
    Likes Beorn, Showbread liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    So yesterday I roasted my split chicken breasts and then shredded them. I put the shredded meat in my freezer for later use and set aside the carcasses for my stock. I made the stock by starting with a fresh mirepoix (chopped celery, carrot, and onion) in olive oil until it all was just starting to brown. After that I threw in the roasted breast carcass with some roasted mirepoix and whatever other goodness was left from the roasting pan. I added a bay leaf and a few other spices and herbs and filled it to the top with water. It didn't take long to bring it to a simmer and to fill the house with some great smells.

The first recipe I looked at only said to simmer it for an hour, but after checking it it quickly became apparent it would need much longer. I ended up actually having to put it in the fridge for the night before I set it to simmer for 5-6 hours today.

In the end it still didn't quite have a nice depth of flavor or any gelatin whatsoever (as opposed to too much the last time). Clearly this is because of the part of the bird I was using so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. Still a heck of a lot better than anything store bought. For dinner I wasn't terribly hungry or eager to make more work so I just made a gravy out of the stock I didn't put in the freezer and added some frozen peas. Very humble food, but along with some nice crusty bakery bread and butter I wouldn't feel ashamed offering it to the Queen of England.

On the whole I'd call it a success and look forward to saving up some whole carcasses to put my BIG stock pot to use.
    One thing I have found is adding a bit of tomato paste. Do this near the end of the browning process. I usually roast a few wings along with the other chicken pieces, onion, celery and carrot. On the stove, I add a 1/2 cup of water and maybe a couple teaspoons of paste, brown, scraping up the bits on the bottom then add 12 cups of water. The tomato past adds a depth of flavor that seems to be missing otherwise. I buy the paste in tubes - it's much easier to simply use what you need and store in the fridge.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes gromit, Beorn liked this post

Thanks!

I'll try this next time and report back.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    One thing I have found is adding a bit of tomato paste. Do this near the end of the browning process. I usually roast a few wings along with the other chicken pieces, onion, celery and carrot. On the stove, I add a 1/2 cup of water and maybe a couple teaspoons of paste, brown, scraping up the bits on the bottom then add 12 cups of water. The tomato past adds a depth of flavor that seems to be missing otherwise. I buy the paste in tubes - it's much easier to simply use what you need and store in the fridge.
    Where do you go about buying tomato paste in a tube? That would solve my issue with tomato paste (i.e. the issues with storing very small amounts of canned food).
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

I might try this next weekend. I have several bags of unused tomatoes from last summer in my freezer. Quality won't be the best but I won't be getting that quantity of tomatoes again for many months.

How To Make Tomato Paste — Cooking Lessons from The Kitchn | The Kitchn
    Likes EJCC, gromit liked this post