User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Default Wearing shoes inside

Every then and now I read articles how finns have weird customs, such as taking shoes off while home. To me, it's pretty normal. I mean, why would you want to wear shoes inside? Especially the same shoes you wear outside where it's dirty, muddy and wet? So I'd like to hear from you guyes, where do you wear shoes? Where do you take them off? Here in Finland everyone take their shoes off while at someone's house. Many people also wear slippers/crocs while working at an office, or just socks (like me). Shoes are also taken off while at class rooms (except at universities, where they are more like lecture halls).

What's your shoe culture like?
    "The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine."
    -Nikola Tesla

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Agreed, wearing shoes inside makes no sense and if you wear them all day long, taking them off in the evening can make someone senseless.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

I always take off my shoes once I'm inside my apartment. I also wipe my dog's paws before I let her in. I really want that cleaning deposit back when and if I move out.

I take off my shoes at other people's houses, unless instructed to leave them on. In my opinion, it's common courtesy. It gets wet and muddy in my corner of the United States, and nobody really wants to have mud tracked in their house.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

When I was growing up, we had no rules about shoes.
    Obviously when my shoes were dirty, I would take them off.
    But not in general.

however, I had a malaysian friend shortly after graduating college, and it was expected to take shoes off immediately upon going inside.

I've found it more in the last ten years, that a lot of people expect you to leave your shoes by the door (first thing) when you go visit. I usually take my shoes off at home myself just because I find it more comfortable, but it's not necessarily the very first thing I do unless they're wet/muddy.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

In Brazil we don't do that.

Our hot weather would make that custom stinky. Ew.
    Likes Codex liked this post

MBTI
    yupp

I wonder if it has to do with snowy places because my cousins in pittsburg and people in that area tend to do that in the winter. so I wonder if it started out as a house hygiene thing. but yeah in finland i was made to take off my shoes they were polite about it though.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Sometimes I take them right off, but usually I take them off once I've settled into the couch or somethig. It's part of the relaxation process.

Edit: in the winter if it's really salty or snowy out, they come right off. No one likes stepping on a hunk of half melted snow in socks.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by five sounds View Post
    Sometimes I take them right off, but usually I take them off once I've settled into the couch or somethig. It's part of the relaxation process.
    I often kick off my shoes as i'm walking from the door to where i'm going when i get home then later i can't find them or one might be in the kitchen and the other in the bathroom
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I often kick off my shoes as i'm walking from the door to where i'm going when i get home then later i can't find them or one might be in the kitchen and the other in the bathroom
    Haha yeah it makes for them being left in random spots around the house for sure. Shoe hunting is a part of my morning routine lol.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.
    Likes prplchknz liked this post

Here it's common courtesy to take your shoes off as soon as you get in the door of someone's home. To keep your shoes on without expressed permission would be very rude. It's not as big of a deal in the summer when it's warm and dry but it's a necessity in the winter and spring.

In public buildings there are almost always mats just inside the door; you are expected to stamp and rub the soles of your shoes on them to get as much water and grime off of the shoes as possible and minimize the amount of dirt you track into the building. Some buildings also have boot scrapers just outside the door, upon which you are expected to scrape off large clumps of snow or mud before walking inside.

Some people, if they don't feel comfortable walking around in socks, will bring a pair of "indoor shoes" or slippers with them when they travel to someone's home. When I was in elementary school in the winter months we would bring a pair of clean, dry shoes to school to wear inside. When we left the building (for recess, or at the end of the day) we would change out of our shoes and into boots.

I presume this is common anywhere where it snows.
    Likes five sounds, Oaky, Cloudpatrol liked this post