User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    And that's not even counting the comfort of your feet not touching bare cold floors first thing in the morning
    Why, do you wear shoes to bed?

SFW
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    Why, do you wear shoes to bed?
    I have before. Mostly because it's a pain in the ass taking off army boots and then, when you have to suddenly get up and run around, spend the first 2 minutes of that floundering with lacing your boots. So much easier to just let your feet hang off the side of the bed and roll off it when it's time to go.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

At my house we mostly remember to leave shoes inside the entry when we come in. We have a bench where one can sit to put them on/off, and they can be placed underneath. We also have pegs for coats and a shelf for hats, mittens, water bottles, etc. Most of the surfaces in my house are hard, mostly tile and wood, so I almost always wear something on my feet indoors. I wear sturdy slippers in the cooler months, and sandals in the warmer months. These are indoor-only footwear, though, and never touch ground outdoors. As for guests, we never ask anyone to do anything regarding shoes. Everyone is free to follow their preference. Many see our shoe collection by the door, however, and remove theirs, but some don't. My Indian friend, though, is much pickier about shoes and will insist that visitors remove shoes upon entering. Sometimes I bring my slippers with me when I visit.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...
    Likes Codex, thoughtlost liked this post

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Dangerous soil pathogens tracked everywhere inside. No thanks. I go barefoot inside as I like to caress the marble tile with my toes.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.
    Likes Cloudpatrol liked this post

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Habba View Post
    Every then and now I read articles how finns have weird customs, such as taking shoes off while home. To me, it's pretty normal. I mean, why would you want to wear shoes inside? Especially the same shoes you wear outside where it's dirty, muddy and wet? So I'd like to hear from you guyes, where do you wear shoes? Where do you take them off? Here in Finland everyone take their shoes off while at someone's house. Many people also wear slippers/crocs while working at an office, or just socks (like me). Shoes are also taken off while at class rooms (except at universities, where they are more like lecture halls).

What's your shoe culture like?
    My podiatrist ordered me to wear shoes at all times. I don't strictly follow that order. But in my "culture" I've been to a few OCD households where they made everybody take their shoes off at the door. Most households aren't like that.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I LOVE wearing shoes inside! Seriously, you'll never find a bigger supporter.

Thinking the inside of your house is cleaner than outside sans being a neat freak/living alone is just misleading. Broken glass occasionally falling, kitchen scraps, dogs tracking in soil, dust from the home being occupied at all... Sure I don't want scruff in my bed or whatever, but we have a ton of people in the house and it gets dirty quick in here no matter what you do.

I DO take off impossibly muddy or tracking-dirt-soiled shoes off inside the house and stick sandals on, I have a few pairs of house shoes (not a hard-and-fast rule like the Japanese though, I'll go get the mail in them or walk to the car to pick up my sister from work or something), and I definitely have very fluffy dirt-hungry rugs that help catch dirt both at the entrance of my room and near by bed, but to not wear shoes I'd go bananas.. stepping on every teeny tiny little splintered piece of something or other that a kid or dog tracked in.
    I lived with a woman who stepped on a ceramic shard in the house, barefoot of course. Protect your feet.

This thread seems to be about the barefoot movement that's been going around. I asked my podiatrist about that and he said its validity depends on whether or not your feet are used to being bare. If you were raised wearing shoes everywhere then you will have a hard time going barefoot. I went barefoot as often as I could as a child. I got a huge, and I mean huge, splinter in my foot from our wooden front porch. I stepped on nails and hot discarded cigarette butts running around outside barefoot. But it all depends on the person. Those who believe in the "no shoes inside the house" rule don't understand that these solid rules need to be adjusted for those of us with special medical needs. Rules that don't take individual need into consideration are crazy.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Always take off my outdoors shoes at the door and put on my home slippers. Generally have a couple of extra pairs lying around for guests as well. I don't like outside dirt being tracked around indoors.

It's partially a cultural habit but one that makes a lot of sense to me.
    Likes Codex, Cloudpatrol liked this post

MBTI
    ISTP
    Socionics
    SLI

When I read the title of this thread, I took it to mean 'wearing shoes on the inside,' as in, within oneself, on your inner soul ('sole,' then, I guess). You're wearing shoes on the inside, kind of like you say you're smiling inside or something.
    Likes uumlau, Ghost liked this post

MBTI
    yupp

I think the fact that you put your babies in boxes is way more weird then taking shoes off.

BBC News - Why Finnish babies sleep in cardboard boxes

but the other thing that would not be tolerated here was my mom told me how infants are left outside in strollers bundled and no one touches them. proof that the Finnish are smarter than americans, because who wants a baby on a whim?
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so
    Likes Cloudpatrol liked this post