• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Wearing shoes inside

Codex

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I never go barefoot or even in socks in the house. I always have shippers/shoes on, mostly because my feet pronate and the ortho suggested I do. That said, I never EVER ask guests to remove their shoes. I think it's partially gross and partially rude. Unless they had really dirty/snowy shoes and boots but that would be the rare case.

Guest slippers!

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I take my shoes and socks off when i get home because I prefer to be bare foot. When I have guests round I have no rules as to whether or not they wear shoes. However they feel most comfortable.

93JC

I LOVE wearing shoes inside! Seriously, you'll never find a bigger supporter.

...we have a ton of people in the house and it gets dirty quick in here no matter what you do.

:fpalm:

Try taking off your shoes when you walk in the door.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My family's custom is that there is a doormat at the outside door (front or back) which is intended for you to scrap off the most obvious dirt/snow/etc. If the snow/dirt/mud is especially bad, the shoes stay outside and perhaps get washed off with an outdoor hose.

At a beach house, it wasn't even SHOES that were the problem! We'd often be barefoot. The rule there was to use the hose to rinse of the sand and salt water off your feet (and the rest of your body) before going inside. Without that rule, there'd be a ton of sand inside, and the couches would gradually get encrusted with salt water.

I've only had a few friends who insist on shoes coming off when you enter the house. It usually isn't a big deal, but sometimes I feel like the stinky feet spoil the indoor environment than whatever random dirt is on the shoes.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
:fpalm:

Try taking off your shoes when you walk in the door.

That may work for a 4 family house with a dedicated cleaning schedule.. but 8 people with three of them being young children + dogs? Our house has two great danes.. I don't care what you do, those paws track in more mud, hair, and dirt than my shoes would ever bring into a home. Dust alone in a house of 8 people is ridic. Add to that lint from clothes, hair... some dirt being tracked in isn't worth the ... what.. 16 minimum pairs of shoes that would be cluttered up at the front of the house somehow? In comparison to just, say, sweeping and mopping and vacuuming each day which is what we do. Takes 15 minutes and there isn't a whole shopping aisle of smelly shoes right when you walk in.

And that's not even counting the comfort of your feet not touching bare cold floors first thing in the morning, or house socks becoming wet because the dog trickled water from drinking, or we missed that tiny glass shard from dropping a mug yesterday..

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I hate shoes and socks! I've always taken my shoes off first thing when I step inside. Foot funk? Not usually a problem. If it is, it will dissipate or will go wash if it's that bad.

One of very few things I love about living out here is that the service techs will slip these covers on their feet when coming inside the house since they can't remove their shoes! :wubbie:

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
We usually wear shoes inside unless they are contaminated in some way (e.g. salt, mud). There are mats by each entrance to scrape minor dirt off shoes.

I always believed that this was a cultural difference, clearly there is more to it than that.

Permabanned
SFW

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Why, do you wear shoes to bed? :alttongue:

I have before. Mostly because it's a pain in the ass taking off army boots and then, when you have to suddenly get up and run around, spend the first 2 minutes of that floundering with lacing your boots. So much easier to just let your feet hang off the side of the bed and roll off it when it's time to go.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
At my house we mostly remember to leave shoes inside the entry when we come in. We have a bench where one can sit to put them on/off, and they can be placed underneath. We also have pegs for coats and a shelf for hats, mittens, water bottles, etc. Most of the surfaces in my house are hard, mostly tile and wood, so I almost always wear something on my feet indoors. I wear sturdy slippers in the cooler months, and sandals in the warmer months. These are indoor-only footwear, though, and never touch ground outdoors. As for guests, we never ask anyone to do anything regarding shoes. Everyone is free to follow their preference. Many see our shoe collection by the door, however, and remove theirs, but some don't. My Indian friend, though, is much pickier about shoes and will insist that visitors remove shoes upon entering. Sometimes I bring my slippers with me when I visit.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Dangerous soil pathogens tracked everywhere inside. No thanks. I go barefoot inside as I like to caress the marble tile with my toes.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Every then and now I read articles how finns have weird customs, such as taking shoes off while home. To me, it's pretty normal. I mean, why would you want to wear shoes inside? Especially the same shoes you wear outside where it's dirty, muddy and wet? So I'd like to hear from you guyes, where do you wear shoes? Where do you take them off? Here in Finland everyone take their shoes off while at someone's house. Many people also wear slippers/crocs while working at an office, or just socks (like me). Shoes are also taken off while at class rooms (except at universities, where they are more like lecture halls).

What's your shoe culture like?

My podiatrist ordered me to wear shoes at all times. I don't strictly follow that order. But in my "culture" I've been to a few OCD households where they made everybody take their shoes off at the door. Most households aren't like that.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I LOVE wearing shoes inside! Seriously, you'll never find a bigger supporter.

Thinking the inside of your house is cleaner than outside sans being a neat freak/living alone is just misleading. Broken glass occasionally falling, kitchen scraps, dogs tracking in soil, dust from the home being occupied at all... Sure I don't want scruff in my bed or whatever, but we have a ton of people in the house and it gets dirty quick in here no matter what you do.

I DO take off impossibly muddy or tracking-dirt-soiled shoes off inside the house and stick sandals on, I have a few pairs of house shoes (not a hard-and-fast rule like the Japanese though, I'll go get the mail in them or walk to the car to pick up my sister from work or something), and I definitely have very fluffy dirt-hungry rugs that help catch dirt both at the entrance of my room and near by bed, but to not wear shoes I'd go bananas.. stepping on every teeny tiny little splintered piece of something or other that a kid or dog tracked in.

I lived with a woman who stepped on a ceramic shard in the house, barefoot of course. Protect your feet.

This thread seems to be about the barefoot movement that's been going around. I asked my podiatrist about that and he said its validity depends on whether or not your feet are used to being bare. If you were raised wearing shoes everywhere then you will have a hard time going barefoot. I went barefoot as often as I could as a child. I got a huge, and I mean huge, splinter in my foot from our wooden front porch. I stepped on nails and hot discarded cigarette butts running around outside barefoot. But it all depends on the person. Those who believe in the "no shoes inside the house" rule don't understand that these solid rules need to be adjusted for those of us with special medical needs. Rules that don't take individual need into consideration are crazy.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Always take off my outdoors shoes at the door and put on my home slippers. Generally have a couple of extra pairs lying around for guests as well. I don't like outside dirt being tracked around indoors.

It's partially a cultural habit but one that makes a lot of sense to me.

Retmeishka

MBTI Type
ISTP
When I read the title of this thread, I took it to mean 'wearing shoes on the inside,' as in, within oneself, on your inner soul ('sole,' then, I guess). You're wearing shoes on the inside, kind of like you say you're smiling inside or something.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I think the fact that you put your babies in boxes is way more weird then taking shoes off.

BBC News - Why Finnish babies sleep in cardboard boxes

but the other thing that would not be tolerated here was my mom told me how infants are left outside in strollers bundled and no one touches them. proof that the Finnish are smarter than americans, because who wants a baby on a whim?