User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Default The desert island. How would you do it?

Let's elaborate on the subject of a deserted island. There are a few answers that I would want you guys to answer:

1. You can take some stuff with you. Not a boat, ship, plane, raft or other device that can take you off the island. What would you bring? You have five objects to choose.

2. What area of the world would you like to be stranded in?

3. What does your personal island look like? Vivid descriptions, please.

4. What natural resources are available on the island?

5. What would you build on your island?

6. What devices, tools and stuff would you construct? To what purpose would you use them?

7. Should there be wild animals on your island or do you want to survive entirely on fish and vegetables?

8. Describe, come with ideas. Tell me stuff that I haven't asked, but that you want to tell me about your island.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    Let's elaborate on the subject of a deserted island. There are a few answers that I would want you guys to answer:

1. You can take some stuff with you. Not a boat, ship, plane, raft or other device that can take you off the island. What would you bring? You have five objects to choose.

Only objects? Crap. Okay: well -

1. BUN-BUN (He's like a person even though he's my stuffed rabbit who has accompanied me since year one).

2. Clothes for all kinds of weather. Alternatively lots of needles and thread.

3. A big-ass knife and knife sharpener.

4. A fishing pole with all required accessories.

5. A tent that is so durable and weatherproof, it will last for years and years and years.

Moderate climate (no crazy weather patterns); place where I can fish and eat vegetation and fruits effectively; hmm crap what about wintertime - crap. Hmmm...okay by moderate, I mean moderate all year round.

Beautiful. Filled with vegetation, animals (but no deadly ones - birds and such). Lots of trees for shade. Places to hide and sleep (like a few caves).
    Like I said, about 70 degrees fahrenheit (20 degrees celcius) all year round with moderate wind and sun, occasional rain but no monsoons or crazy crap like that.

Oh hey, I can have this??? Schweet, that makes it easier. Plenty of kinds of vegetation - fertile soil so that I can grow my own food. Lots of wood for fire (that means good trees). Lots of flint to make fire. It should have sharp stones that can be sharpened to make pointy things like tools. It should have a clean water source so that I have an eternal source of water. It should have a safe place to swim for exercise.

I would love a little hut or house, but seeing as that is impossible by myself - hmmmmm...lots of tools and devices. Let me think about this.

6. What devices, tools and stuff would you construct? To what purpose would you use them?

Awww man already talked about this. Spears, knives, flint, needles, skewers to cook food,

7. Should there be wild animals on your island or do you want to survive entirely on fish and vegetables?

Little ones. Otherwise no.

8. Describe, come with ideas. Tell me stuff that I haven't asked, but that you want to tell me about your island.
    Damn. Not feeling very creative, and I have to teach in about twenty minutes. Let me give this some thought and I will revise my entries and get back to you.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Two days and only one answer? Come on! =P

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

Let's see.

A big supply of coffee.
    Fishnet.
    Sleeping bag.
    A knife.
    Some books or papers, pencils and things like that.

Caribbean.

Tropic island, enormous beaches of white sand, warm temperature all along the year, wavy, clean sea, lots of fishes, lots of vegetation, no wild animals, snakes, scorpions and other dangerous stuff.

Fresh water, edible fruits and vegetables, coffee beans, fishes.

A small wooden shelter, in the case I couldn't find an adequate cave. I'd mostly sleep at the beach, under the palmtrees shadow.

Nothing but some fishing and cooking tools.
    EDIT: Maybe a small boat, to browse around and have some fun.

Already answered.

All I want to add is that it would never ever occur me to quit the island.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    1. You can take some stuff with you. Not a boat, ship, plane, raft or other device that can take you off the island.
    So GPS device and satellite phone are out-of-bounds?

Ax, big knife, sharpening stone, flint and steel, waterproof survival manual.

Indonesia.

Like the island in Castaway, horseshoe shaped, big mountain in the middle blocking the wind so I have a calm little cove to set up shop.

LOTS of bamboo, banana trees, potatoes, coconuts, vines.

An elevated 8ft x 8ft bamboo shack with a palm frond roof.

Some backup stone tools, fishing spears, a solar still for drinking water, a cistern for collecting rain water, a rain water shower made of bamboo and palm fronds.

No animals, they’d be eating all my food.

MBTI
    INFP

contacts, contact solution, a comb, papers, the bible (never read it. never waste a good opportunity to read)

somewhere in the pacific

it looks deserted n shit.

marijuana

treehouses

i would construct a way of telling time, i would draw a map of my land, and i would make sharp objects so that i could kill things

wild animals. i would need friends and something to focus on and study. and eat of course

my island would be surrounded by cliffs, and i would fashion a really long rope out of something so that I would have to descend to the ocean and ascend in such a fashion, and so that i would be safe from invaders, who, if you are familiar with history, always bring teh disease and rape

ThatGirl

A generator? A computer with internet acess. A lighter. Sunscreen...a lot. And...... a tooth brush.

I agree mild climate, central.

Green, white sands, clear water colorful flowers.

Fresh water due to natural irrigation. Cows?? I really like beef. A variety of non poisonous berries and fruit. Garlic, tomatoes and wheat. Dude I'm Italian. Chickens. But the animals occupy the "other" side of the island.

I would establish electricity and indoor plumbing inside of my log house. I would also build replicas of various games and tools. Oh! And a leaf bikini.

Spears, irrigation system for indoor plumbing. A tree house with a look out point. A dance floor. Drums and flutes various musical instruments.Traps and security fence.

Only those that I can eat otherwise nature and I don't really mix. NOOOO BUGS!

I would basically be able to live there sufficiently but have access to the outside world should I choose to. Then I could have a hot guy there and breed then have my children go bring suitors to the island so no incest is involved as I become the head of a giant empire that eventually takes over the world.

Oh! Forgot something I would have every book that was ever written with a J to accompany for organizing them in alphabetical order according to their subject matter.

Wait, are we stranded alone on this fantasy island or can there be other people on it? If so I'd like to have a dozen bisexual polynesian ladies on mine.

MBTI
    ISTP

Axe, Knife, Bow and Arrows, Shovel, Snowboard. I normally ski, but I'd pick a snowboard because it's easier to make, and the bindings are more compatible with making them yourself. (After I wear the one I bring with me out)

Somewhat moderate climate, below freezing at high elevations consistantly during winter.

Sort of along the lines of Hawaii moved a thousand or so miles north. Relatively even temps down by the sea, with a giant snowy mountain.

Lots of forests, a big natural clean spring-fed lake, maybe some naturally occuring vegetable/fruit plants?

For starters: A house.
    Next: Some shelters around the island in case a storm I'm unprepared for comes when I'm far away.

Water-powered machinery, powered by the river flowing from the above mentioned lake. I'd devise a home-made lumber mill and whatever else would seem to be useful.

Abundant animals, but only ones that would be relatively easy to kill/non-dangerous. Sheep and Deer would be good. (I figure Cattle aren't really capable of taking care of themselves)

Basically the goal would be to make day-to-day life as easy as possible, so I can spend most of my time snowboarding/working on whatever I come up with to do.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%