User Tag List

MBTI
    ENTP

Default Eat Kangaroo, Reduce Greenhouse Gases

BBC NEWS | UK | Eat kangaroo to 'save the planet'

This is particularly interesting because it raises issues not only pertinent to global warming but also regarding which animals are deemed fit to farm and eat.

What say y'all?
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I think kangaroos are cute, hmm, I've never eaten a marsupial mammal before, I probably would try it though.

I think eating mammals is kind of wrong, though occasionally I eat them.

Ugh, we should be eating insects, or something.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ENTP

^ Good point... I think the incredible amount of insect biomass on our planet is an excellent reason for incorporating their protein-rich bodies into our diet when more traditional agricultural resources are limited or too expensive.

I instinctively feel much more affinity towards a kangaroo or canine or cow than to a chicken... but why prefer a kangaroo over a cow? Tradition?

The argument about how kangaroos are easy to farm and yet produce far less methane and other greenhouse gases than cows is a powerful incentive for die-hard meat-eaters to switch to 'roo meat.

BUT... I don't see it happening any time soon.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

They are smaller animals though, you would have to kill more to get the same amount of meat. Also, the Joeys need to stay in their mother's pouch until they are ready to come out on their own, so it might be ineffecient to farm them.

Note: Australia's population is about the same as California's so the effect on Greenhouse Gases won't be that significant :P

Double note: I'm half Aussie.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Didums View Post
    They are smaller animals though, you would have to kill more to get the same amount of meat. Also, the Joeys need to stay in their mother's pouch until they are ready to come out on their own, so it might be ineffecient to farm them.

Note: Australia's population is about the same as California's so the effect on Greenhouse Gases won't be that significant :P

Double note: I'm half Aussie.
    Well, honestly, I'm not too educated on 'roos... but I do know that they don't tend to live past six years of age, whereas cows have lifespans of a bit over ten years. Thus, gestation and maturation periods for 'roos are shorter and more could be harvested to make up for their lesser biomass.

As for the effect of harvesting roo meat, if kangaroo consumption replaced consumption of cattle outside of Australia, the effect on greenhouse gas emissions would be tremendous. My feeling is this is what the fellow in the newstory was hinting at.

But, anyway... I'm not arguing that we start harvesting kangaroos... an Australian scientist is... frankly, I'd prefer not to see kangaroos added to the list of meat-supply animals, because I don't think people will readily give up beef for 'roo-flesh.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

Kangaroo meat doesn't taste too good from what my dad tells me lol. Also, I think its a bit of a long-shot to say that switching to 'roo meat is a good option to reduce co2 emissions, there are a myriad of other things that can be done. Cars that aren't atleast 35mpg need to be made illegal asap, we could also always shoot Sulfur into the atmosphere as a short-term fix, and figuring out a way to reduce coal pollution would be awesome (I think I heard about something that captures the released Co2 so that it doesn't get in the atmosphere, but I'm not sure lol).

Still an interesting topic though, I'm curious to see if the Aussies carry through with it lol

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

We eat both of our national animals

All things considered the greenhouse gases produced by Oz from cattle is pretty much insignificant. That said I'll do my bit and never eat a cow.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    We eat both of our national animals
    I occasionally have a kangaroo steak at the Southern Cross Club in Canberra.

It is delicious.

And puts a hop in my step.

MBTI
    NSFW
    Enneagram
    6w7

Kangaroo doesn't taste too bad - I imagine it might be harder to get kids to eat it due to its gaminess.

Kangaroos are actually amazing reproducers... they can have a weaned joey at their feet, a joey in the pouch and a fertilised egg ready to develop into a joey all at the same time.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EIE

When I was in year 10 we went on a central Australia trip and happened upon some fresh roadkill - a massive big red male...still warm. Our biology teacher insisted on getting some meat for dinner (oh man says something about my school). So he hacked up a decent share of meat and it was cooked up in a mushroom risotto that night... very gamey and chewy, we're talking like 30-50 chews a piece lol (don't recommend trying the wild type); there was a chicken alternative haha.

That's the only time I've ever eaten Kangaroo and so it really wasn't that amazing. But we've got so many to spare over here! They're a pest. My parents crashed their car into one the other night, quite a mess... thankfully they weren't as uncivilized as my biology teacher was.

Although when I say we have heaps of them I still never see them. People from the US seem to have a misconception that we ride them to school, right? haha